Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Because of her politics, I hope she finds a place outside of Florida. Some liberal, gay friendly cheap rent anti-gun place like Detroit where Democrats have it their way. She'll be happier there.
Not as happy as a certain someone, alone, in his WTSHTF bunker...

Old 11-09-2014, 12:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
The amendment passed with a 75% approval. I suggest you purge the 24 or so percent of good republicans who voted yes. That being said, I too wonder if the OP has continued her search. If so, I hope someone gives her unfiltered advice.
Yes it sure did!

It would be pathetic if it couldn't pass with $6 Million spent by just ONE PAC unopposed by any other PACs.

I guess they didn't realize that voter mandated spending is what caused California's 23 Billion budget deficit a couple years ago and of course, the fish versus vegetable fight with insane water rationing - resulting in higher fruit and vegetable prices for EVERYONE. Meanwhile, pot growers are stealing water unimpeded and producing 60% of the pot in the country. And NOW California passed ANOTHER [phony] PROP for water. YAY - EVERYBODY loves WATER!

Ironically, regardless of MY politics I gave the OP great advise upthread. We have EVERYTHING she could be looking for as a renter - let alone a homeowner - specifically all the very reasonable apartments that I gave her links to, the free public transit in case they'd ever need it. And I don't have to tell you that we also have the "culture" aspect covered. And the boating that I assume they like since they live in a boating town. And the county has resources for sliding scale medical etc.

I also said the same thing as this "liberal" type member said to MANY objections but I stand by this. Don't worry about the politics. I've met THOUSANDS of strangers here and RARELY have politics come up.
Quote:
People in Florida don't really care about your political leaning so much compared to other places.
I mean, seriously. A couple age 65 and 75 worried about being in a LIBERAL PLACE? What exactly is the concern? Not enough abortions? Not enough free school meals? Not enough debates?

Sadly, she apparently believes her N.C. Republican County is nirvana - perhaps an anomaly not to be replicated in any other Republican County?

She better hurry up, though since 70% of ALL state legislatures have turned evil Republican now. And 30/57 (ha) state Governors.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-09-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 01:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
The Yankee retirees are Jews and way to make a more ignorant post concerning this already stupid thread which should be shut down.
LOL. I doubt you actually live in FL, but if you do, you apparently have never visited the Gulf Coast, SW FL, North FL or Central FL. You know--the many places where the median age is 50 to 70 and where there are churches on every corner?

Hint: the retirees there are not mostly Jews.
Hint: they are midwestern, southern and Canadian Christians.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:20 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes it sure did!
I mean, seriously. A couple age 65 and 75 worried about being in a LIBERAL PLACE? What exactly is the concern? Not enough abortions? Not enough free school meals? Not enough debates?
Or maybe that couple would simply like to live in a more tolerant atmosphere, unlike that which you are promoting. What difference does it make why they would like to live in a liberal atmosphere? Perhaps they simply do not enjoy an oppressive control-freak environment populated by ultra-conservatives?

Old 11-09-2014, 02:52 PM

5,028 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:

But the irony is, if the OP comes to FLORIDA, PROPERTY will be more expensive thanks to the geniuses here voting to pass Amendment One, which will result in an even MORE screwed up property system, higher demand and higher prices.
Yay! Here's hoping demand and prices go up, up, UP! Gotta love Amendment One...it saved pristine land from rampant development and made existing properties more valuable.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Uh Oh.

Told 'ya.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

Quote:
In 2010, UCLA economist Matthew Kahn published a study of California cities, which found that liberal metros issued fewer new housing permits. The correlation held over time: As California cities became more liberal, he said, they built fewer homes.

Quote:
In 2008, economist Albert Saiz used satellite-generated maps to show that the most regulated housing markets tend to have geographical constraints—that is, they are built along sloping mountains, in narrow peninsulas, and against nature's least developable real estate: the ocean. (By comparison, many conservative cities, particularly in Texas, are surrounded by flatter land.) "Democratic, high-tax metropolitan areas... tend to constrain new development more," Saiz concluded, and "historic areas seem to be more regulated." He also found that cities with high home values tend to have more restrictive development policies.

Quote:
I asked Kahn if he had a pet theory for why liberals, who tend to be vocal about income inequality, would be more averse to new housing development, which would help lower-income families. He suggested that it could be the result of good intentions gone bad.
It's just simple MATH (or lack of). And ideology gone wild.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Yay! Here's hoping demand and prices go up, up, UP! Gotta love Amendment One...it saved pristine land from rampant development and made existing properties more valuable.
That won't help you when you can't find a buyer. Especially one under age 65.

And it won't help your children to be facing UNAFFORDABLE property so they won't marry, have families, create community, etc etc.

But I AM appreciative that at least SOMEONE understands the math and Economics 101.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 PM

5,028 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
That won't help you when you can't find a buyer. Especially one under age 65.

And it won't help your children to be facing UNAFFORDABLE property so they won't marry, have families, create community, etc etc.

But I AM appreciative that at least SOMEONE understands the math and Economics 101.
I'm not worried about finding a buyer - I can sell it for what I want. As far as young people being able to afford to buy a home - I think that speaks more to stagnant wages than anything else. Metro areas get built out. Nice metro areas get built out quicker. Developers will continue to find old cow pastures to build communities, but they'll just have to do it more prudently.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Uh Oh.

Told 'ya.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

It's just simple MATH (or lack of). And ideology gone wild.
Yup. All of the negative nancies here on the FL forum love to trash this state with impunity esp when it comes to salaries with respect to COL. Your article exposes the dirty little secret about these "liberal" meccas that they either don't know or refuse to believe. You'll have a better shot of owning your own home in FL on $50K than you will in SF earning $90K. Promise.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:12 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
No, the Yankee retirees are not Jews, not all of them by a long shot, and that's such a strange statement you made there. Rather than considering it a bit racist, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant people of the Jewish faith. Where we live, most of the Yankee retirees are good old white Anglo Saxons from Canada, Pennsylvania, Nu Yawk state, etc. Christians mostly for sure, and not many of the Jewish race or faith. South Florida is different, we're in North Florida.

I agree, not many people understand the word liberal, but then this is Florida. I stand by everything I said on my post, there was nothing disrespectful to anyone on it, and the absurd comments about it shows the right wing is at it again here. That's a hall mark of far right conservatives, the sniping and picking apart of cherry picked phrases that are taken out of context, then spun into something they were never meant to be. The attack ads of the Repubblicans during the last Florida governor election were a prime example of that.

"California ranks near the bottom in per pupil spending, no better than FL. They also spend more on prisons than higher ed and have a higher percentage of their population on social welfare programs than anywhere else.Is that the 'liberal' example you are praising".

Berkeley, Cal Poly, Stanford....all pretty inferior educational entities I suppose. LOL! And while I'm here, that question of yours needs a question mark after it. You're not seriously comparing the brain trust of California to Florida are you?

Anyway, for many, many reasons (see my original post), liberal and cheap do not go together, and I've lived in Hawaii, San Francisco, L.A., and New Orleans (all liberal, all expensive) as well as Tucson, Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi (all conservative, all cheap to live in). We're in Florida now, and it's very inexpensive to live where we are in Volusia county. It's also....

Last edited by smarino; 11-10-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida