Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times

Advertisements

We moved here 3 years ago from UP NORTH and enjoy it every single day.

Quality of life is so much better here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 AM

73 posts, read 107,295 times
Moved from the Mid Atlantic area 13 years ago and cannot wait to leave (moved due to family obligations and immediately watched my salary get cut in half).

I miss a more diverse atmosphere where people do not use the "N" word with regularity; the more forward/progressive thinking; things to do (festivals, music, ethnic foods); and people who are comfortable enough with themselves that they need not try to prove to everyone how important they are (when they aren't).

I do not miss the cold, but I am willing to tolerate it just to get out of this backwards place. It is embarrassing: Florida has a national reputation for what it attracts (not good) and is justifiably the butt of many jokes. I'm sure -- well, I know -- there are nicer areas of the state. The natural beauty is wonderful. But Central Florida is pretty damn bad. Once we leave, we will never look back.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker13 View Post
Moved from the Mid Atlantic area 13 years ago and cannot wait to leave (moved due to family obligations and immediately watched my salary get cut in half).

I miss a more diverse atmosphere where people do not use the "N" word with regularity; the more forward/progressive thinking; things to do (festivals, music, ethnic foods); and people who are comfortable enough with themselves that they need not try to prove to everyone how important they are (when they aren't).

I do not miss the cold, but I am willing to tolerate it just to get out of this backwards place. It is embarrassing: Florida has a national reputation for what it attracts (not good) and is justifiably the butt of many jokes. I'm sure -- well, I know -- there are nicer areas of the state. The natural beauty is wonderful. But Central Florida is pretty damn bad. Once we leave, we will never look back.
I'm in Central Florida and most definitely do not hear the "N" word on any type of regular basis. Maybe you chose the wrong neighborhood or social group if you are hearing it.

Additionally my neighborhood is very diverse. We have about 50% white, 15% black, 15% Hispanic, 15% Asian, and the rest is a hodgepodge of mixed race and other.

It's unfortunate you were unable to find ethnic festivals, there are many of them in the greater Orlando area every year, and there are tons of ethnic restaurants.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM

73 posts, read 107,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm in Central Florida and most definitely do not hear the "N" word on any type of regular basis. Maybe you chose the wrong neighborhood or social group if you are hearing it.

Additionally my neighborhood is very diverse. We have about 50% white, 15% black, 15% Hispanic, 15% Asian, and the rest is a hodgepodge of mixed race and other.

It's unfortunate you were unable to find ethnic festivals, there are many of them in the greater Orlando area every year, and there are tons of ethnic restaurants.
Oh, I see, me hearing that word has something to do with me? lol. Sorry, no, not in my social group. (I always wonder why truthful comments like that seem to hit nerves.) I have heard the word at work -- two different places, in fact. And I don't work at a biker bar, BBQ place or a race track, but instead where most people are required to possess college degrees. Sad.

Orlando is too far a drive, even though it is Central Florida. Many people don't like that area due to the high crime and traffic issues.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 AM

166 posts, read 353,217 times
Quote:
Oh, I see, me hearing that word has something to do with me? lol. Sorry, no, not in my social group. (I always wonder why truthful comments like that seem to hit nerves.) I have heard the word at work -- two different places, in fact. And I don't work at a biker bar, BBQ place or a race track, but instead where most people are required to possess college degrees. Sad.

Orlando is too far a drive, even though it is Central Florida. Many people don't like that area due to the high crime and traffic issues.
Where do you live?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:55 PM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Quality of life

what does this even mean? so subjective. Hey my d***k didnt get caught ina blender today, guess my quality of life is pretty good too!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
what does this even mean? so subjective. Hey my d***k didnt get caught ina blender today, guess my quality of life is pretty good too!
Since it is apparent that you never experienced a place that offers a lower QOL you would not be able to compute the difference.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:

Bah Bye.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
We moved to South Florida in 09 left in 2012, we are from NJ recently moved back, but had a Great 3 years in South Florida. We have no regrets..We moved back home for a lot of different reasons 1st being a great offer to come back from my husband's Company, our family is here and all of our friends. One day we will be back to beautiful sunny florida even if we are snowbirds

Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
We moved to South Florida in 09 left in 2012, we are from NJ recently moved back, but had a Great 3 years in South Florida. We have no regrets..We moved back home for a lot of different reasons 1st being a great offer to come back from my husband's Company, our family is here and all of our friends. One day we will be back to beautiful sunny florida even if we are snowbirds
Snowbirds, IMO that's the best of both worlds, if you can swing it. Imagine spending time in two places that you love when each is at their best, weatherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida