Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:06 PM

157 posts, read 332,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
If you really want to live longer, cultivate that, not your ammo supply.
Umm...nope. My ammo supply will enable me to take what I need from you (and your kind) if the situation arises/necessitates.

18k rounds and counting (just ordered another 420 rds. of 5.56.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Miller View Post
Umm...nope. My ammo supply will enable me to take what I need from you (and your kind) if the situation arises/necessitates.

Ummm... I'm not even sure if you're joking or not now! It was funny... until I considered the possibility that you might be Apocalyps-ing Now right in my backyard...

---

Plan ahead people - according to this actual article, FL is more prepared than the states in Red, but not among the most zombie-prepared states. Again, this is a real map a real estate brokerage prepared - so thereby FL is a better state for zombie preparedness than moving to New Jersey OR Mississippi, the least zombie-prepared states. Here's the article: Is Your State Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse? New Jersey Sure Isn’t (Map) - Speakeasy - WSJ

Old 06-06-2014, 01:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times
Like Travelassie mentioned, I too have lived here over 35 years and have not really met any of these "extreme" folks that you met. But I lived through Andrew, Katrina, Wilma and a whole lot of other storms and know what it is to be as long as a month without power and the roads unpassable with no power in the grocery stores.

Lucky for us that as bad as Andrew was, we learned a lot of lessons so now most Publix supermarkets have generators, gas stations also have generators for the pumps and building codes have made our homes stronger and able to withstand hurricane winds cat 3 or lower, all bets are off with a cat 4 or 5.

But you live in the keys and we really haven't had a major storm since Wilma so you might not have been around to witness the madness that ensues right before and after a storm.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Obviously, there is a lot of defensiveness for those who are obsessed with survivalism and the end of the world when this topic is brought up. It's really not common in any of the places I have lived before, and that includes several states and also both large cities and small towns. So the fact that it took no time at all to get multiple Floridians to defend fearing for one's life does show that it's present here in good numbers. In in my personal experience, far more so than places who actually have a much harder daily life with ACTUAL reason to fear getting shot on the daily in their neighborhood - and yet those people are very chill by comparison.

There is a huge difference between preparing for a major hurricane, and preparing for the apocalypse. For one, again I point you to the endless Amazon reviews discussing which tool is better for "killing someone in hand to hand combat."

The question is not about other states, or other countries. Is it about why this is such a movement in FL - no other comments need apply.

I think it is very naive to say that this is a movement of all people, and that anyone not building a bomb shelter in the backyard and running militia tactics with their friends in the woods has their head in the sand. After all, hundreds of millions of families have survived in the US (and in FL!) for multiple generations, through 2 world wars, multiple terrorist attacks, and through mass poverty like the Great Depression - all without owning either guns or gas masks. Sure, someone could attack your home, or your tiny town with a single stoplight might get targeted by terrorists for no reason. However, it is FAR more likely that you will be in a car accident, or deal with a hurricane, than that the end of the world cometh.

As the John Lennon saying goes, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."

It would appear to me that many Floridians are so lost in fear of the End Times they're missing out on the great enjoyment to be had living in FL. Some people are happier stockpiling machine guns like they're going out of style I guess, then just relaxing and enjoying the safety they're actually experiencing today.

I guess we just have different definitions of what it means to have a hobby.
I had to come back to this today because last night I found out that 3 of my neighbors are loaded with survival supplies and are preparing for a SHTF scenario. You can keep deflecting this argument thinking its' prevalent to just Florida (and I can't figure out why you keep doing this) but I can assure you that this type of behavior is not just prevalent to Florida. It isn't just Florida. Just because you were oblivious too it in your previous places, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. I'm just now seeing it in Utah. But I knew prior to yesterday that it wasn't non-existent. You are extremely naive and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:45 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Do you even live in Florida? If you did then you would know that the majority of people who live in Florida are not even from Florida and if people are telling you different then they are giving false info.

I live in Naples and the only extremist's around here are the political loud mouths that move down and push their politics on the rest of us and they like to tell us how things were done where they were from.
Yeah, born/raised in Florida and now living in Central Florida so I probably have a better grasp than you do. I also know enough that where you live in Naples is unlike it is in most of the state in terms of overall demographics.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:46 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Some know all.
Pot calling kettle...

Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM

176 posts, read 217,149 times
Lots of scared people on this thread.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, the many men and women who risked their own lives on 9/11, with some of them paying the ultimate price think the "guv'mint" will take care of them.

Who is thinking they will be taken care of? The surviving families? All those families get the pension from their deceased love ones and assistance from many organizations.

Many of the surviving first responders are dying of cancer and disease that is likely a result of standing on a burning, smoldering pile of rubble. Even after the fires were out there was a huge amount of asbestos in the air and in the debris and who knows what other chemicals they were exposed to.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
There arent that many preppers in FL as there are in other states. They are in NC, SC, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. You cant dig a shelter in FL. Even if you dug out enough space for a couple of shipping containers for a shelter, the odds of water intrusion are to great. What you will find in FL are those who are prepared for hurricanes, power outages, civil unrest and criminals. Preppers are from all walks of life.
You would never know if you lived next door to a Prepper because they dont advertise or announce their situation. People who have shelters in mountain sides, underground shelters dont advertise it either.
They dont want you knocking of their door when the SHTF.

I am sure there are plenty of preppers right where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your post really made me laugh! I will never understand the "culture of fear" that you describe.

Get ADT and stop believing in Zombies. I don't know, relax, enjoy the sun and have a strong tropical beverage.

That's what I do when in Florida.

But then, I don't live there full time.

I have never encountered this in FL. After last Winter, which hit us with such a ferocity that I currently suffer from PTSD when I see a picture of a wintery landscape; we are thinking of getting a second home in Florida.

However, I have no desire to spend a month or two around dooms day people or "preppers".

My guess is that the transient nature of Florida and the fact that everyone there, or many people there, come from some place else, thus raising the level of suspicion.

Since I'm interested in having a second home, and I am decidedly disinterested in living around these folks, can you tell me in what part of the state these individuals live in perpetual fear?

Because I can tell you, I don't want to be anywhere near there. Nor do I ever want to debate "dooms day scenarios" with such people. I may as will stay home, shovel snow, and freeze my a$$ off.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Miller View Post

Geez!!!

All I'll need is one bullet. I don't want to live in a world you're preparing for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida