Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will the housing Bust end in FL?
By the end of this year 21 8.30%
Spring 2008 28 11.07%
Summer 2008 16 6.32%
Fall 2008 17 6.72%
Winter 2008 12 4.74%
Spring 2009 29 11.46%
Summer 2009 18 7.11%
Fall 2009 11 4.35%
Winter 2009 9 3.56%
Sometime in 2010 38 15.02%
Sometime in 2011 13 5.14%
Sometime in 2012 11 4.35%
2013 or later 30 11.86%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You completely missed my point.

You have an amount that you want to spend.
Homes in the area you want are more than you want to spend.
There are homes in other areas in the price range you want to be.

I thought I was pretty specific there was nothing generalized about it.

I don't see where I said anything about banks or loans.
Why should I be forced to have half of the house I would have gotten before the fake BS run up in prices?

Why should I now be looked down at (or made to feel this way) because I "only" want to spend 200K on a house. My god that is pittance now right? 200,000, who cares but, a sale is a sale right? We can get you into a nice 1979 built home with popcorn ceilings and 1100 square feet of living space with a window a/c.

Five years ago you would have thought hey great, I can get you into a gorgeous brand new turn the key home in a nice area, let me see what I can do for you.
Now, you sit there and look down at me as if I have sprouted three heads. Pitiful, only has 200K to spend, I mean really, cheap people....red neck trailer park boys, god.....

Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
This is common sense. Do you have to give up on everything to own a home. Thats might be why prozac sales are so high. No, live your life and have fun ! The urgency to buy is gone. Let the people that are trying to sell you this crap buy it if its such a great deal.

I agree that it is common sense to only spend what you feel comfortable with.
You shouldn't have to give up on everything to own a home.
But also don't expect people selling $400,000 homes to drop the price to $200,000 because this is all you want to spend.
People can wait and maybe they will get the deal they are looking for, maybe they will wait and it will never hit that price.

An analogy that may better represent this is, someone is out looking to buy a tv, they budget $1000 for the tv, they see a 60" plasma tv for $9000 that they want. There are now a few choices, #1- take more money out of savings and buy the tv, #2- charge it on a credit card and make payments, #3- wait and hope the price comes down to $1000 or #4- find a tv that is within your budget.

This has nothing to do with what someone can afford, it has to do with a budgeted amount you set for yourself and whether you stay with in that budgeted amount or not.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Why should I be forced to have half of the house I would have gotten before the fake BS run up in prices?

Why should I now be looked down at (or made to feel this way) because I "only" want to spend 200K on a house. My god that is pittance now right? 200,000, who cares but, a sale is a sale right? We can get you into a nice 1979 built home with popcorn ceilings and 1100 square feet of living space with a window a/c.

Five years ago you would have thought hey great, I can get you into a gorgeous brand new turn the key home in a nice area, let me see what I can do for you.
Now, you sit there and look down at me as if I have sprouted three heads. Pitiful, only has 200K to spend, I mean really, cheap people....red neck trailer park boys, god.....
No one is looking down on you. You have a budgeted amount, it doesn't matter that you can afford 10x's that budgeted amount, the budgeted amount is what you want to spend. But don't expect people to drop their price just because that is all you want to spend. Wait for your price, you might get it or you might not.

And yes, for $200,000 I can get you into a brand new, turn key home, in a nice area. It is just not the nice area you want to be in.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,444 times
Quote:
I agree that it is common sense to only spend what you feel comfortable with.
You shouldn't have to give up on everything to own a home.
But also don't expect people selling $400,000 homes to drop the price to $200,000 because this is all you want to spend.
People can wait and maybe they will get the deal they are looking for, maybe they will wait and it will never hit that price.

An analogy that may better represent this is, someone is out looking to buy a tv, they budget $1000 for the tv, they see a 60" plasma tv for $9000 that they want. There are now a few choices, #1- take more money out of savings and buy the tv, #2- charge it on a credit card and make payments, #3- wait and hope the price comes down to $1000 or #4- find a tv that is within your budget.

This has nothing to do with what someone can afford, it has to do with a budgeted amount you set for yourself and whether you stay with in that budgeted amount or not.
that is a lame analogy, never mind...you are comparing something that doesn't make any sense. If the TV used to sell five years earlier for 1,000 and now had gone up to 9,000 I can see someone hoping the price will come down again.
Since the TV always sold for 9K there is no comparison here.
If there had been no bubble I would not be walking around asking sellers to sell for half of what they had paid. Thats just stupid.

Houses WERE selling for half of what they are being listed for five years ago so it is a safe bet to think since no one can now afford these prices that they will come back down again.

BTW, most Americans would go for the greed and charge the TV on their card (if they have any open to buy left on it, that is)

Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,137 times
Quote:
that is a lame analogy, never mind...you are comparing something that doesn't make any sense. If the TV used to sell five years earlier for 1,000 and now had gone up to 9,000 I can see someone hoping the price will come down again.
If there had been no bubble I would not be walking around asking sellers to sell for half of what they had paid. Thats just stupid.

Houses WERE selling for half of what they are being listed for five years ago so it is a safe bet to think since no one can now afford these prices that they will come back down again.

BTW, most Americans would go for the greed and charge the TV on their card (if they have any open to buy left on it, that is)

the guy said he can get you into a house for 200k, what's stopping you from taking him up on the offer? you have a gazillion excuses why you can't buy now, I suspect that all you have are excuses and no intention of ever buying a house.

For someone who works in credit you seem to have a lack of understanding many of the basics of how to put debt to work in a positive way.
People, companies, governments all use debt to fund things they cannot afford to pay cash on the barrel for.

as long as you manage your debts properly debt can be used to fund things that you want or need to have but cannot afford to pay cash for.

used properly debt is a tool and only the people who are unable to manage their debt or don't understand basic economic principles are the ones who get in trouble from debt or are afraid to use their ability to obtain credit. Debt is not your enemy if managed and used wisely, are you capable?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:17 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
the guy said he can get you into a house for 200k, what's stopping you from taking him up on the offer? you have a gazillion excuses why you can't buy now, I suspect that all you have are excuses and no intention of ever buying a house.

For someone who works in credit you seem to have a lack of understanding many of the basics of how to put debt to work in a positive way.
People, companies, governments all use debt to fund things they cannot afford to pay cash on the barrel for.

as long as you manage your debts properly debt can be used to fund things that you want or need to have but cannot afford to pay cash for.

used properly debt is a tool and only the people who are unable to manage their debt or don't understand basic economic principles are the ones who get in trouble from debt or are afraid to use their ability to obtain credit. Debt is not your enemy if managed and used wisely, are you capable?
Now you do know what credit did in 1929. We are in the same boat right now.
Lack of economic principles is what put us in this mess to start with. And the only thing that will fix it will be economic principles !

Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:

The product is not the focal point of the analogy but I guess that is why you miss the point.

You have choices
#1- take more money out of savings and buy the price being asked
#2- finance and make payments
#3- wait and hope the price comes down
#4- find something that is within your budget.

Now you say, why should you be forced to buy half the house you would have gotten before the run up.

Why did you not buy before?

Why should the people that bought before have to come down 50% because it is all you want to pay?

The demand was there to send the prices that high, there are some events that have forced downward pressure on some pricing. It all remains to be seen where they will go.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Quote:
The product is not the focal point of the analogy but I guess that is why you miss the point.

You have choices
#1- take more money out of savings and buy the price being asked
#2- finance and make payments
#3- wait and hope the price comes down
#4- find something that is within your budget.

Now you say, why should you be forced to buy half the house you would have gotten before the run up.

Why did you not buy before?

Why should the people that bought before have to come down 50% because it is all you want to pay?

The demand was there to send the prices that high, there are some events that have forced downward pressure on some pricing. It all remains to be seen where they will go.
Or the store has to file a chapter 11 and a discount store buy's the stock and sells it for half the price.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Now you do know what credit did in 1929. We are in the same boat right now.
Lack of economic principles is what put us in this mess to start with. And the only thing that will fix it will be economic principles !
is that so? please elaborate on the similarities between 1929 and 2007 and what economic principles are your referring to that will fix what you call a mess?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 PM

48 posts, read 204,182 times
Mike, all of your responses made perfect sense.

SKB - you said you can buy a house anwhere from $200k-$600k and decided you only want to spend $200k. That's your decision. A seller has the same option to determine the price they'll sell their home for. If you don't like their price... don't buy it. But there's no reason to disrespect them because you don't like their selling price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida