Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 PM

548 posts, read 543,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
man oh man, if they are this desperate now, can you imagine what November of 2008 is going to look like? I hate to say this but, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these people don't attempt suicide. Its sad but people link importance in life with money. Pretty sad state of affairs.
It finally happened, the Zillow estimate on the house I sold in 2005 dropped below what I sold it for. I bought for $325,000 in 2003, sold for $550,000 in 2005. The flipper has had it on the market for 14 months now at $780,000!!! I mean he did pave the driveway...that has to be worth a few hundred thousand at least!

He has switched realtors 3 times now, like that matters. The Zillow range is now $455,000-$525,000 with the 'value' at $501,000.

It is in Palm Beach County which has a 5 year inventory. My guess is that it drops eventually to 1999 prices which was about $280,000.

The insane part is that a realtor actually took over the listing last week...at $780,000...when even the inflated Zillow is only $501,000. Honestly, what is the point in living that far in denial!!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 AM

611 posts, read 1,993,487 times
Zillow is a joke. They list homes in my area of Pa 200-300k less than what they actually selling for. Don't use it to estimate a homes value. I use it exclusively to see what homes sold for in an area not what Zillow guesses it's worth.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 AM

9,403 posts, read 14,353,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Zillow is a joke. They list homes in my area of Pa 200-300k less than what they actually selling for. Don't use it to estimate a homes value. I use it exclusively to see what homes sold for in an area not what Zillow guesses it's worth.
On top of that, it contains a plethora of errors and omissions in terms house details.

I use it mainly to know the exact position of a house, maybe some historical infomation as mentioned above (sales history, etc.), then switchover to Google Earth to get a better comprehensive picture of its strategic location.

One needs to use all the tools available, no one tool is sufficient: remember, even these tools were designed with somebody's agenda in mind.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:48 PM

270 posts, read 571,606 times
This sanchez guy is my new favorite ,real estate expert quote guy.His insight is classic in a dumb and dumber kind of way,"just when I thought you couldnt get any dumber Lloyd,you go and do this and totally redeem your self!!!! I mean surely this "hurry and buy now,prices wont last long" will bring the market right back to life,right?? They got people to talk to them,so thats proof positive the technique was a success. 04 prices are historically unprecedented,wait for 98 prices they will "defy logic,and the rules of gravity" I fully expect flippers anonymous to start after this is over,"state your name and tell us a little about yourself,hi all my name is joe6pack ,I just wanted to get rich without doing any actual work ,isn't that what the american dream is about?anyhow I was holding two properties waiting on the rebound,I was finally foreclosed on two weeks ago,(speaker) its o.k. Joe getting foreclosed is the first step in recognizing you have a problem..

Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
It finally happened, the Zillow estimate on the house I sold in 2005 dropped below what I sold it for. I bought for $325,000 in 2003, sold for $550,000 in 2005. The flipper has had it on the market for 14 months now at $780,000!!! I mean he did pave the driveway...that has to be worth a few hundred thousand at least!

He has switched realtors 3 times now, like that matters. The Zillow range is now $455,000-$525,000 with the 'value' at $501,000.

It is in Palm Beach County which has a 5 year inventory. My guess is that it drops eventually to 1999 prices which was about $280,000.

The insane part is that a realtor actually took over the listing last week...at $780,000...when even the inflated Zillow is only $501,000. Honestly, what is the point in living that far in denial!!
what do you think 2009 is going to look like? I think it might be a little worse. They say Prime and Commercial real estate will be going down the tubs around then

Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM

432 posts, read 1,881,089 times
A realtor will take over a listing because they want the market share. If they don;t take it, another realtor will.

Realtors want to sell houses, so insane high asking prices are usually not coming from them, but from the seller. The realtor just says, yes, we can list it at that price and market it agressively and see what the buyers will do.

I think I read somewhere that Palm Beach county was the worst in terms of inventory on the market. Is that true, or is there someplace where the inventory is even more stubborn?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 PM

548 posts, read 543,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
A realtor will take over a listing because they want the market share. If they don;t take it, another realtor will.

Realtors want to sell houses, so insane high asking prices are usually not coming from them, but from the seller. The realtor just says, yes, we can list it at that price and market it agressively and see what the buyers will do.

I think I read somewhere that Palm Beach county was the worst in terms of inventory on the market. Is that true, or is there someplace where the inventory is even more stubborn?
Palm Beach County has a 55 month inventory, I think that is tops in the state. If not, someone let us know where else is worse.

I hear you on realtors taking listings. But I can't imagine running my business that way. I think I would try to find sellers who were realistic and offer them a cut commission and a quick sale. Or find another line of work.

I guess I don't see the point of listing a house for $780,000 month after month for 14 months, when the appraisal has no chance of coming back over $500,000. Seems like you might as well stand on the corner and sell glasses of lemonade for $50,000.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM

432 posts, read 1,881,089 times
[quote=CJFlorida;2496783
I hear you on realtors taking listings. But I can't imagine running my business that way. I think I would try to find sellers who were realistic and offer them a cut commission and a quick sale. Or find another line of work.

I guess I don't see the point of listing a house for $780,000 month after month for 14 months, when the appraisal has no chance of coming back over $500,000. Seems like you might as well stand on the corner and sell glasses of lemonade for $50,000.[/QUOTE]

I used to be a realtor, and I work assisting some of them with marketing materials now. The rationale is that once you have the listing, you have it. No one else does. You have time to get the seller to see reason, or find a buyer that might actually make a decent offer. If the seller does not price within a reasonable appraisal range, it is frustrating for all.

But more than that, you have something to put on your website and mailings, something to show at open houses where you meet more buyers. You have something in the brokers office window that people might call you up and ask about- even if they are saying "come on, you want $780,000 for THAT?" And if they don't buy that house, they will buy another one, or maybe have one to sell themselves. And they might as well buy another house from you.

So, if a seller will not see reason in pricing or offers, a realtor still can get some milage out of a listing. Lots of work, lots of risk. But successful sales people are visible sales people. My first listing was an overpriced wreck - seller would not negotiate on price, and it sat on the market for months. We advertised and showed it a lot. I did sell it - for close to the asking price - but before I did, I had three other deals out of inquiries on it. (and I held my breath on the appraisal, it was close)

I am in NJ - we are just not seeing a lot of buyers right now. It is as though they are waiting for something to happen. They are here, qualified, etc - They are just not out looking like they were before. Not good news for me, since I have to sell in NJ before I buy in Florida - and I would much rather live in Florida.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,367,431 times
For all of us that have been warning of this, here's our validation:

At any rate, for these remedies to cure what ails us, housing prices need to fall to their equilibrium level. As I said on Dec. 3 and Dec. 17, this means a drop of at least 25%.

The quicker home prices fall, the sooner the housing market will stabilize, the faster holders of mortgage-backed securities will be able to judge their worth, thus triggering renewed bank lending, and the sooner the economy can get back on its feet.

It is worth reading the entire article:

This is not your father's recession - MarketWatch

Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Palm Beach County has a 55 month inventory, I think that is tops in the state. If not, someone let us know where else is worse.

I guess I don't see the point of listing a house for $780,000 month after month for 14 months, when the appraisal has no chance of coming back over $500,000. Seems like you might as well stand on the corner and sell glasses of lemonade for $50,000.
my wife said, she heard on the radio that brickel is the hardest hit neighborhood in s. florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
For all of us that have been warning of this, here's our validation:

At any rate, for these remedies to cure what ails us, housing prices need to fall to their equilibrium level. As I said on Dec. 3 and Dec. 17, this means a drop of at least 25%.

The quicker home prices fall, the sooner the housing market will stabilize, the faster holders of mortgage-backed securities will be able to judge their worth, thus triggering renewed bank lending, and the sooner the economy can get back on its feet.

It is worth reading the entire article:

This is not your father's recession - MarketWatch
I agree with this article EXCEPT, I don't think you can make a blanket claim like that (25% decrease). It depends on the area you are in, how bad have prices gotten in those areas, and then take into account average annual income per house hold. Then you can get a picture of where they need to go as far as prices.

Last edited by Wild Style; 01-15-2008 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida