U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2017, 02:49 PM
 
1,917 posts, read 1,992,232 times
Reputation: 713

Advertisements

I'm trying to follow the numbers but $180 per month over 20 years comes to $43,200 which is $19,000 more than the cash price I was quoted for the same system.

There must have been a huge reduction in pricing.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2017, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Sandy beaches...
404 posts, read 355,226 times
Reputation: 798
That's the loan cost on paper if I decide to keep the 30% tax credit next year when I do my taxes. Otherwise I send them the tax credit next year and the loan is reset to the balance-credit next spring. There's been some incentives of $2k applied for installing the system early. The final cost to me will be around $28k + interest once all is said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Titusville, FL
94 posts, read 81,357 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I don't know much about how power from panels is stored, but it seems to me that a big plus for panels would be the ability to have some power in the aftermath of a hurricane and resulting power loss. A gas powered generator would likely cost well over $10K, and uses gas. A portable gasoline generator can be purchased and connected to the house wiring for $1-2K, but its not full power and you have to store many gallons of gasoline to get thru several days without power.
Storage is via batteries. Remember solar cells do not produce electricity without bright light (the sun). Power is also reduced when the sun is behind clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM
 
21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Reputation: 19627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I'm trying to follow the numbers but $180 per month over 20 years comes to $43,200 which is $19,000 more than the cash price I was quoted for the same system.

There must have been a huge reduction in pricing.

Gary
New technology always starts out expensive and as manufacturing/reproduction increases prices always come down considerably. Give it a few more years and it'll be much more accessible to most despite the special interest group (electric companies, etc) unless elected state officials attempt to squash it further via regulations as a result of greased palms from said companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 10:39 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 1,992,232 times
Reputation: 713
my latest quote is for
11.56kw @ $2.30w = $26,588
Less tax credit. $ 7,976
Total cost. $18,612

I spoke with a couple of Real estate appraisers and they both said that a house with solar appraise higher by a value of per $3.00 pet watt 11,560 x $3.00 =$34,680 increase in vhome value.

For arguments sake I you only assume that the value of the house will increase by the cost of the system installed $18,612

Since the cost of the installation equals the increase in value in the property the actual cost is zero.

So now that brings us to the return on investment.

Based on numbers that were shared with me by hokiepoke I can expect to produce 1.7 kWh of electricity per month add a value of $200 per month or $2400 per year giving me a 13% return on investment beginning the day they turn the system on.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 AM
 
17,543 posts, read 10,614,799 times
Reputation: 8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
my latest quote is for
11.56kw @ $2.30w = $26,588
Less tax credit. $ 7,976
Total cost. $18,612

I spoke with a couple of Real estate appraisers and they both said that a house with solar appraise higher by a value of per $3.00 pet watt 11,560 x $3.00 =$34,680 increase in vhome value.

For arguments sake I you only assume that the value of the house will increase by the cost of the system installed $18,612

Since the cost of the installation equals the increase in value in the property the actual cost is zero.

So now that brings us to the return on investment.

Based on numbers that were shared with me by hokiepoke I can expect to produce 1.7 kWh of electricity per month add a value of $200 per month or $2400 per year giving me a 13% return on investment beginning the day they turn the system on.

Gary
Does your municipality or County have a program where excess electricity from your panels flows to the grid and you are paid (a very small amount) by the local electric company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 1,992,232 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Does your municipality or County have a program where excess electricity from your panels flows to the grid and you are paid (a very small amount) by the local electric company?
Yes.....the way it works it your meter runs backwards and those kilowatts end up going into a bank of sorts.

At the end of the month you take the kilowatts you used from the Electric company and deduct amount of kilowatts you sent to the electric utility and you only pay for the difference. If you produced more than you used your bill is zero and the balance remains in your bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 10:57 AM
 
17,543 posts, read 10,614,799 times
Reputation: 8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Yes.....the way it works it your meter runs backwards and those kilowatts end up going into a bank of sorts.

At the end of the month you take the kilowatts you used from the Electric company and deduct amount of kilowatts you sent to the electric utility and you only pay for the difference. If you produced more than you used your bill is zero and the balance remains in your bank account.
That always helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 11:30 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 1,992,232 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That always helps.
During the day you're producing excess energy at night you are taking energy from the utility.

It's a balancing act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Winter Garden, FL
373 posts, read 258,844 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
During the day you're producing excess energy at night you are taking energy from the utility.

It's a balancing act.
Unless you store that excess energy via batteries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top