Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
At least you New Yorkers can find New York style pizza around here, regardless of the merits of the specific pizzeria. In my part of Florida Chicago style pizza-- thin cracker crisp crust, cut in squares and with very generous amounts of cheese and toppings--is simply unavailable.

I hear there are Chicago style joints on the Gulf side; places like Sarasota.
There's also numerous options for that in Tampa and Orlando, I've lost count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:40 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
At least you New Yorkers can find New York style pizza around here, regardless of the merits of the specific pizzeria. In my part of Florida Chicago style pizza-- thin cracker crisp crust, cut in squares and with very generous amounts of cheese and toppings--is simply unavailable.

Yup, we got two of these here in Sarasota/Bradenton:

Pizza Sarasota | Joey D's Chicago Style Eatery & Pizza Restaurant - Delivering pizza to Sarasota Fl area

I'm sure there are others. There are tons of pizza places here of all types. Some are better than others.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yup, we got two of these here in Sarasota/Bradenton:

Pizza Sarasota | Joey D's Chicago Style Eatery & Pizza Restaurant - Delivering pizza to Sarasota Fl area

I'm sure there are others. There are tons of pizza places here of all types. Some are better than others.
Thanks, I'm going camping at Fort DeSoto in September, I'll give that place a try.

Bohemian, eh? I miss Bohemian chow, I grew up on the West Side and our family used to go to the Old Prague on 22nd St. But I try not to be one of those "things were better up North" Floridians, no more White Sox stickers on the car, nor do I wear my green Sox cap.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:

Spring Hill has "Guido's Pizza Cafe" The pizza there is EXACTLY what you described.

Guidos Pizza Cafe | Spring Hill, FL 34606

Old 07-06-2015, 06:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
In Tampa we have Chicago's Stuffed Pizza and Full Circle Pizza. Orlando also has the former and Giordano's. Lots of Chicago people in this area of Florida.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 AM

I went to Guido's not knowing that they served Chicago style flat pizza cut into squares. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:23 AM

135 posts, read 258,112 times
Speaking of FL and BBQ, I almost puked the first time I went to a BBQ place here. I ordered pulled pork, and they served me something that looked like a pig threw it up. It was just chopped up sliced pork roast with some kind of God-awful red sauce poured on it that was so sweet, I couldn't eat it. I learned to make my own BBQ.

So to the OP -- learn to make your own pizza, or learn to like somethiing else. I even bought a pizza stone for my pizza. Publix sells pizza dough ready-made that is pretty darned good. I must admit, I don't like restaurant food here. It all seems bland to me so I cook my own food. It's cheaper too.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM

I was recently in Port Richey and my client offered me an Italian lunch. We went to Santoro's on US 19 just south of Scenic Drive. All I can say is WOW.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Wink Lovin' the Slice!

Grew up in Miami with high standards for REAL NYC borough pizza and Italian food. There's nothing like folding a hot from the oven 18" slice made w/ REAL cheese! Put some parm and italian herbs to melt into it! HEAVEN!

I'm SOOO lucky I can get this still on A1A in Daytona Beach for ONLY A BUCK PER SLICE!

There is something about the city water (which Daytona Beach is very good like NYC) and also knowing HOW to make dough AND spin it RIGHT!

BWHAHAHAHA! Ain't i VERY LUCKY?
(Sincerely thinking of you as I'm chewing here!)

Old 07-12-2015, 06:07 AM

6 posts, read 31,897 times
Cool Just listen to the Hillbillies

I understand your need for real New York Style Pizza. You should know that (in the greater Daytona Beach area anyway) really competent NY Pizza bakers have actually moved here and set up shop over the years. But one by one, they cut back and eventually stop offering authentic NYC style pizza.
Why? The answer is actually quite simple. The locals don't like it.

After years of searching and sampling, only two restaurants actually offered really good pizza. A smallish little 12 table place in Ormond Beach, and the much larger Italian Village in Daytona. The catch was, you actually had to request NYC style pies. They were capable of turning out crispy, thin crusted masterpieces, properly drizzled with olive oil and blazing hot out of the oven.

Other than that, you would get the nasty, soggy dough slop that people here go wild for. The phrase "Casting pearls before swine" sums it up. Don't get me wrong, I love it here and I love my friends and neighbors. I will often joke with them about their lack of a discriminating palate. I try to reason with them all of the time, but how do you explain to a blind man what the color red looks like.

It is also obvious from some of the crude and actually rude comments made in this thread that there are folks here that are not only lacking in fine dining taste, but a lot of the social grace that you would expect from the rest of the country is missing as well. That's right you rude hillbillies, I'm talking about you.

Good luck in your quest for great pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida