Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 12:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

I get phone calls all the time about various jobs outside of my home town but whenever I asked what is the salary or rate, they give me some really pathetic numbers.

If they want to pay people next to nothing for high level work they should just say they need volunteers!!

Just because some state have lower taxes and costs does not mean the work performed will be easier with my profession.

Globalization of work force does not mean cheaper labor for high skilled work. If you import low paying workers to perform your high level skill work expect subpar and poor quality and that's exactly what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I get phone calls all the time about various jobs outside of my home town but whenever I asked what is the salary or rate, they give me some really pathetic numbers.

If they want to pay people next to nothing for high level work they should just say they need volunteers!!

Just because some state have lower taxes and costs does not mean the work performed will be easier with my profession.

Globalization of work force does not mean cheaper labor for high skilled work. If you import low paying workers to perform your high level skill work expect subpar and poor quality and that's exactly what you get.
What is your profession? How much experience do you have? What do you define as "high level work"?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM

162 posts, read 146,871 times
Hahahaha....love all these Florida residents that think there are well paying jobs here. Good luck finding them. Particular attention should be paid to the person that quoted salaries in NY off a website......please tell me all the Paralegal jobs in Tampa area that pay above $40,000 and are hiring at those salaries....... NY taxes are higher, true, but the salaries are much higher to enable you to pay the bills. By the way the commute to Tampa is just as bad as commuting to Manhattan.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
[quote=retired11;41225648]Hahahaha....love all these Florida residents that think there are well paying jobs here. Good luck finding them. Particular attention should be paid to the person that quoted salaries in NY off a website......please tell me all the Paralegal jobs in Tampa area that pay above $40,000 and are hiring at those salaries....... NY taxes are higher, true, but the salaries are much higher to enable you to pay the bills. By the way the commute to Tampa is just as bad as commuting to Manhattan.[/QUOTE

I think it was u who quoted NY and FL paralegal salaries. Go to the job listing websites and do a search and see what u find out. Check the Cost of Living calculators and tell me which place is better.

Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city?
I live in NYC
I want to live in Tampa
I currently make $50K

Comparable salary in
Tampa, FL
$20,761
Price difference in Tampa, FL

Groceries 27%less
Housing 83%less
Utilities 24%less
Transportation18%less
Health Care 19%less

Old 09-16-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
Hahahaha....love all these Florida residents that think there are well paying jobs here. Good luck finding them. Particular attention should be paid to the person that quoted salaries in NY off a website......please tell me all the Paralegal jobs in Tampa area that pay above $40,000 and are hiring at those salaries....... NY taxes are higher, true, but the salaries are much higher to enable you to pay the bills. By the way the commute to Tampa is just as bad as commuting to Manhattan.
I'm starting to think you're not retired but are just trolling.

The "quote" was from Salary.com, which collects data and benchmarks it. Pretty well, I might add. Of course if you are truly a curmudgeonly retired person you wouldn't know about all of the online resources available to do salary surveys. Glassdoor is another helpful site, which has jobs posted, and the average salary for a paralegal in Tampa is $48,720.

Anyone comparing the commute to Tampa as being as bad as the commute to Manhattan is obviously delusional. NYC is usually ranked as the worst (or close to the worst) with an average commute of 40 minutes. Then Chicago, Philadelphia and San Francisco. Average commute for Tampa is 20 minutes, less than the US number of around 25.

Where there is a difference, and I will agree with you on this, is that NYC has a lot more options. The LIRR (when it's working properly, which it's not for the past several days due to a freight derailment), buses, subways and other options. But you have to have this otherwise if everyone drove it would be a 2 hour average commute if not worse.

In Tampa you're pretty much stuck with driving. But even then the average person's commute is 1/2 that of a NYC commuter. Facts are facts.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM

He just needs to pack to up and get himself back to familiar surroundings. He's just homesick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'm starting to think you're not retired but are just trolling.

The "quote" was from Salary.com, which collects data and benchmarks it. Pretty well, I might add. Of course if you are truly a curmudgeonly retired person you wouldn't know about all of the online resources available to do salary surveys. Glassdoor is another helpful site, which has jobs posted, and the average salary for a paralegal in Tampa is $48,720.

Anyone comparing the commute to Tampa as being as bad as the commute to Manhattan is obviously delusional. NYC is usually ranked as the worst (or close to the worst) with an average commute of 40 minutes. Then Chicago, Philadelphia and San Francisco. Average commute for Tampa is 20 minutes, less than the US number of around 25.

Where there is a difference, and I will agree with you on this, is that NYC has a lot more options. The LIRR (when it's working properly, which it's not for the past several days due to a freight derailment), buses, subways and other options. But you have to have this otherwise if everyone drove it would be a 2 hour average commute if not worse.

In Tampa you're pretty much stuck with driving. But even then the average person's commute is 1/2 that of a NYC commuter. Facts are facts.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:39 PM

I commuted to Manhattan during the week for years on the LIRR and drove on the weekends. LIRR was about an hour and fifteen. Driving was about an hour on the weekend. Sorry, Tampa is just as bad driving during rush hour if you are heading North on 75 or the Suncoast. Again, if you like using the internet to find salary quotes please advise everyone where paralegals in Tampa are now being hired at $48,720. Answer........nowhere.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I commuted to Manhattan during the week for years on the LIRR and drove on the weekends. LIRR was about an hour and fifteen. Driving was about an hour on the weekend. Sorry, Tampa is just as bad driving during rush hour if you are heading North on 75 or the Suncoast. Again, if you like using the internet to find salary quotes please advise everyone where paralegals in Tampa are now being hired at $48,720. Answer........nowhere.
So...why do you care? Are your finances so poor that you need work? Walmart not hiring greeters this week?

And I've driven I75 to Tampa during rush hour...no comparison to the LIE between 6am and 10am.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 PM

To compare the cost of living online is something I did to. It was an error.

Groceries 27%less........false, groceries are about 20% to 30% higher here, easy. That claim of 27% less is really beyond
........absurd. Winn Dixie is the most affordable I have found.
Housing 83%less..........83% is fantasy.....about 40% cheaper for an average family of 4 (rent). To own you get more
...........house but they still aren't cheap here.
...........but 83% not true, like NY depends on the neighborhood.
Utilities 24%less...........I paid electric in NY of $262 to $313 a month ..here $399 to $462 (but no oil bill $)(AC used 24/7
...........here too) water bill in NY was about $150 to $200 for the entire year.....here about $100 with no
...........topping off pool or lawn watering (water lawn or fill pool $400 here)
Transportation18%less..LIRR was about $180 month years ago and is now close to $300, , gas about same.....car insurance
..........about $700 higher here for family of 4 drivers.
Health Care 19%less.....My dentist charges more than NY by $30 for almost everything.....My NY plans are not accepted here

Cost of living surprisingly averages out across America.....you just get hit by different agencies

Old 09-16-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing in Tampa really compares to the LIE, Van Wyck, the traffic going to the midtown tunnel.

You are misguided as to what professional people earn here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida