U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM
 
45 posts, read 109,128 times
Reputation: 25
We're still here--just vastly outnumbered...for now.

The smaller towns in Florida seem to have kept their Southern identity. I've met quite a few natives in Citrus County in Central Florida, though there are tons of transplants there, as well.

Actually, though I'm now in Lee County, I've run into other Natives. I think we must have some kind of honing mechanism that helps us seek out other Floridians.

My favorite part of Florida is Northern Florida because it's retained what the rest of Florida has lost over the last 20 years or so--its identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
8,315 posts, read 15,777,926 times
Reputation: 3806
It's funny that all my local friends are natives. The transplants tend to be troublemakers or condescending. Non-natives are the ones who like to call code enforcement or otherwise backstab to get their way. Native Floridians and naturalized transplants realize that it is better to be content and help your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM
 
200 posts, read 609,145 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's funny that all my local friends are natives. The transplants tend to be troublemakers or condescending. Non-natives are the ones who like to call code enforcement or otherwise backstab to get their way. Native Floridians and naturalized transplants realize that it is better to be content and help your neighbors.
That is the honest truth! I've seen it happen a million times.

I've lived in a cookie cutter neighborhood in Lee County where neighbors were nasty, rude people. I now live in a rural area on 5 acres close to the Lake O area...Great neighbors, friendly. And now I am moving to North Florida. From what I've seen so far the people are friendly, content and very down to earth. I love their attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM
 
943 posts, read 55,134 times
Reputation: 224
I think where you live in Florida will be the deciding factor as to whether or not you like it, or find southern hospitality. I once spent a short time a little more than a year in the Lakeland, Plant city area of Florida not far from Tampa. I worked for a large company on a temporary assignment there. I found both nice and not nice people there, but the area was rich in southern cultures and some of the attitudes that come with that. I did not dislike that area of Florida as a whole but was uncomfortable with this. I found many young locals if they assumed one was a gay person treated me with distance and disrespect at work. I would not dwell on that if I ever had to visit that area of Florida in my life again, but I do remember it did not feel very welcoming too me. I however did find people that displayed southern hospitality in that region of Florida ,which is definitely southern, and those I remember fondly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 121,093 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
That is the honest truth! I've seen it happen a million times.

I've lived in a cookie cutter neighborhood in Lee County where neighbors were nasty, rude people. I now live in a rural area on 5 acres close to the Lake O area...Great neighbors, friendly. And now I am moving to North Florida. From what I've seen so far the people are friendly, content and very down to earth. I love their attitudes.
They say fences make good neighbors, the same is true for distance. Living in the average florida cookie cutter neighborhood with homes built on 5 foot property line set backs, you can feel like you are in a ant farm. Even the high end gated ones. No matter how nice the home is it doesn't matter, you are still living too close to each other and it takes a toll.

People I don't think are meant to live like that, but most have no choice. The only thing that makes it tolerable is people live with their windows shut like they are in a vacuum sealed container and can try to create an environment in their tiny little space, till they have to go outside that is and then there is your neighbor 10 feet away. Where are you moving by the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
 
24 posts, read 73,499 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
I think Florida is full of friendly and hospitable people, who will always smile and say hello. There are always exceptions though. As Tarastomsgirl says its a mixture of cultures and people and each bring their own to it. We are more laid back than some northern climes though and you could call that a southern attitude.
I have to agree, I lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area for almost a year about 18 years ago (and have since visited several times) and have always been amazed at how friendly everyone I met in Florida has been to me. From cashiers at the supermarket to waitresses/waiters at restaurants and even my neighbors. I have to admit when I first moved down from Brooklyn back in 1988 I was taken back and a little leary of the "friendliness" just was not used to it yet I guess. I was very upset about moving back to NY in 1989, but I met my husband when I got back and we have been married for just over 17 years now. We are on our way back down in the Spring, Central Florida this time....once we find a new home I can't wait!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,444 posts, read 16,584,109 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post
I have to agree, I lived in the Ft. Lauderdale area for almost a year about 18 years ago (and have since visited several times) and have always been amazed at how friendly everyone I met in Florida has been to me. From cashiers at the supermarket to waitresses/waiters at restaurants and even my neighbors. I have to admit when I first moved down from Brooklyn back in 1988 I was taken back and a little leary of the "friendliness" just was not used to it yet I guess. I was very upset about moving back to NY in 1989, but I met my husband when I got back and we have been married for just over 17 years now. We are on our way back down in the Spring, Central Florida this time....once we find a new home I can't wait!!
What part of Central fl are y'all headed to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
 
24 posts, read 73,499 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What part of Central fl are y'all headed to?
Sarasota, my husband and can't seem to decide on a neighborhood/sub-division though. Therefore we think we may rent a home for 6 months so that we can get a feel for the area before we buy. If we didn't have the kids it wouldn't matter, we would fit in anywhere. However I want to make sure there are kids around our boys ages (11 & 17) in the neighborhood before we settle down for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,143,958 times
Reputation: 1819
My friend from Florida (now lives in the Northwest) says that Daytona is the dividing line. She said anywhere south of there will have a lot of northerners. She calls Naples the other NY lol. I can agree, since so many of my parents' neighbors are from within a 10 mile radius of where we lived on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 19,780,469 times
Reputation: 2210
I call Naples the Boca Raton of Ohio or Michigan. LOL!

The dividing line of the south is Ocala on 75, Daytona Beach on 95. There are some exceptions though. Tampa can have a vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top