Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 13,402 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am new to this and was wondering if anyone has information regarding the North Port, Fl area. My husband is getting relocated to this area with his job. We are grandparents and will be bringing our young grandchildren along with us since we have custody of them. (They are not of school age yet). We are looking to rent and not buy right now. If you could please direct us as to what areas of North Port would be nice, we would appreciate it. We have lived in Key West for a couple of years but never in this area of Florida. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Are you looking to be in a gated community or just anywhere in North Port? Charleston Park and Lakeside Plantation are very kid friendly neighborhoods. I believe there are a few places to rent in there as well. DSabo who posts on the board occasionally got a great deal on a rental in Lakeside Plantation, just a few weeks ago. He seems to be very happy with it.

Also if you are looking for a preschool, I have heard good things about Achievements Learning Center on Toledo Blade Blvd. Some of the other preschools are a little shady.

Heron Creek and Talon Bay are not as kid friendly as the above two neighborhoods.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugomama View Post
Hi,
I am new to this and was wondering if anyone has information regarding the North Port, Fl area. My husband is getting relocated to this area with his job. We are grandparents and will be bringing our young grandchildren along with us since we have custody of them. (They are not of school age yet). We are looking to rent and not buy right now. If you could please direct us as to what areas of North Port would be nice, we would appreciate it. We have lived in Key West for a couple of years but never in this area of Florida. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I can refer you to someone who can help you in NP. She just helped us. We are a young couple who is starting a family...thus, the things you are looking for...we were too. DM me if you would like more info on our resource.

I referred DSabo to her, and he is another one to DM. You'll find some old posts out there. His family relocated recently, and had very young children as well.

Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 16,011 times
Default north port area

i was wondering the same thing! my husband and i are thinking of buying a vacation home in that area....thought it might be alittle quieter there instead of ft. myers area! we, on the other hand do not have little children living at home anymore....thinking of a nice place to go to every winter where our children and family members can use also.....i have looked abit on the web at talon bay....if anyone can help, that would be great! need to know abit more about the area!
thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

57 posts, read 233,315 times
Hey everyone, while I am by no means the expert that SoFlGal is or the researcher LewLew is, I have lived in North Port for about a month now and could not have been happier with the move. With my job I have had the privalege of talking with about two thousand people (not an exageration) over the past few weeks and have been pleasantly surprised with what they had to say about the area and their overall friendliness. In addition, part of my job requires me to do a crime surveys of the surrounding areas and these all came back very low. If you already have a job lined up, you have problaly already bypassed the one negative of the area.
As far as my own case goes, I did find a great deal on a rental in Lakeside Plantation and can not say enough about how wonderful the people have been in this community. We have made many friends in the short time we have been here and our children have quickly adapted to their new environment. There are young kids everywhere but they all seem well behaved and are not out late. The houses are kind of close together but this does help in that everyone seems to keep a watch out for each other. Don't be surprised when you get a call from me Shannon as soon as my lease is up..........we have already started checking out some of the houses for sale on our street!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
I'm so glad to hear from you!!! That's terrific that your children are adapting well to the area. LewLew and I are going to be looking around this weekend for a home for LewLew, her husband, as well as her mother. I have a few homes in Lakeside to show them-Dixie-Scarlett and Boxwood.

I'm sure the weather is much better than the freezing cold where you were living. I remember your regular posts about the weather It's actually been quite nice since you have moved down.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 PM

The weather has been great, we actually went up to Disney to take the kids to the Pirate and Princess night this past weekend, that was a blast. It is so nice to come home from work and and be able to go for walks with the family, we have been able to meet so many people in the neighborhood. We are on Scarlett Ave and love this section, there definitely seems to be more young families on this street, especially with the two story houses. The other two streets are quieter if you want to get away from the kids, but anywhere in Lakeside I would recommend. I know LewLew had mentioned having a fence, I can't recall seeing any of these, not sure what restrictions there are, but even so, the alligators haven't showed up yet. LewLew, you better get your butt down here after all your talk these past few months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
d3tsabo,
I moved just down the street from you (in Cypress Falls) 4 months ago.
My wife and I also love the area... it's a great place to live.

I joined the tennis club at Lakeside Plantation and I agree, it's a nice neighborhood.... everyone is very friendly and helpful.

If you're into bike riding... try going from Lakeside into the Woodlands ... the area is absolutely spectacular for biking. Very few cars and great scenery and wildlife to look at.

Mikey

Last edited by mikey2; 01-31-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 AM

Hey Mikey2,
Actually it was one of your post about bike riding down Scarlett Ave that started me looking in this area, so I owe you a big THANK YOU! The area is exactly what we were looking for, bigger yard would have been nice but with all the friendly neighbors this hasn't been much of an issue. Will definitely try this trail out, just need to get the rust off my bike from up north.........

Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
The weather has been great, we actually went up to Disney to take the kids to the Pirate and Princess night this past weekend, that was a blast. It is so nice to come home from work and and be able to go for walks with the family, we have been able to meet so many people in the neighborhood. We are on Scarlett Ave and love this section, there definitely seems to be more young families on this street, especially with the two story houses. The other two streets are quieter if you want to get away from the kids, but anywhere in Lakeside I would recommend. I know LewLew had mentioned having a fence, I can't recall seeing any of these, not sure what restrictions there are, but even so, the alligators haven't showed up yet. LewLew, you better get your butt down here after all your talk these past few months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey there!!! Yes, I am driving down today. Shannon and I are looking around tomorrow. I have to honestly say that we love the area. We'll have to meet once we are down there. The snafoo is that my husband's job is now going to be located in North Ft. Myers. Thus, we are looking in South North Port close to 75. My mom is going to move into Lakeside I think...but she will be our babysitter, so I'm glad to hear there are young children. I was glad to hear the elementary school there (Toledo Blade) requires uniforms etc. Nice upgrade from most of the FL schools. We are also going to check out North Ft Myers (Moody River Plantation, and some areas around the golf clubs) While I would prefer (and my husband would prefer) North Port....I have to be kind to him, and at least look in the other area. His commute will be 48-50 miles each way if we choose NP, but again...hybrids are the thing now. ha ha All our fam is in NP...so it's ideal. I have to weigh the good and the bad for him. Since he's a yacht broker, he'll do a lot of driving regardless....so we are contemplating both. I don't want to be alone, knowing no one in Ft Myers as I work from home. He works alot, and if our family is 40 minutes away...it would seem silly to me. But...we'll see.
Soooo glad you are enjoying yourself, and your family is acclaimating. See you soon!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida