Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that ocean levels are rising and Florida is supposed to be one of the areas affected by rising ocean levels. I'm a ocean boater and have launched from concrete boat ramps for decades but I have never noticed a change to the average water levels when taking the tide changes into consideration.

So with all the boaters and home owners on the water has anyone has noticed any changes to the ocean water levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 08:02 AM

299 posts, read 378,111 times
None..... the oceans are not rising. The temperatures are not rising.. Just the bank accounts of the climate change nimrods!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:09 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
It is rising.

Streets that did not flood at high tide 20 years ago now flood.

People not living around rising water are acting like ostriches.

With rising waters in South Beach, FDOT busy on Alton Road drainage | Miami Herald

Rising Sea Levels Are Already Making Miami's Floods Worse | WIRED

Rising sea levels threaten South Florida

Treading Water - National Geographic Magazine

Old 10-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I was hoping to get first hand reports from the people who live and play around the coastline in Florida. These are the people who would know if the water is rising. Especially the people who use boat ramps or have ocean front property where they would be able to tell if anything has truly changed.

Reading articles from people who have an agenda is not that helpful since you can find tons of articles pro and con on the subject.

I am a boater and spent most of my life near the ocean. My personal observations is that I have seen no change.

I'm thinking about moving to Florida so I have a personal interest in hearing from Florida people.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I was hoping to get first hand reports from the people who live and play around the coastline in Florida. These are the people who would know if the water is rising. Especially the people who use boat ramps or have ocean front property where they would be able to tell if anything has truly changed.

Reading articles from people who have an agenda is not that helpful since you can find tons of articles pro and con on the subject.

I am a boater and spent most of my life near the ocean. My personal observations is that I have seen no change.

I'm thinking about moving to Florida so I have a personal interest in hearing from Florida people.
I lived on Alton Road on Miami Beach 20 years ago. The water did not rise above my ankles at high tide. Now it does.

Sorry--I don't use boat ramps.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I lived on Alton Road on Miami Beach 20 years ago. The water did not rise above my ankles at high tide. Now it does.

Sorry--I don't use boat ramps.
So Alson road is under water at every high tide? Where on Alton road?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:12 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Not sure where but it was the first line in an article

Miami, the great world city, is drowning while the powers that be look away | US news | The Guardian

Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like you are the one with an agenda. You are moving to Florida, but familiar with Alton Road?

You really believe that Miami Beach is spending $300 million to pump water off the roads just for the fun of it? Believe me, they would rather be spending money on other things and not jamming up the traffic with gridlock in order to install pumps to get rid of the rising waters. Their main agenda is to keep the tourists coming.

"The expedited projects come in anticipation of a higher king tide than last year, which is projected to rise to nearly four feet. Beach streets start to flood at around three feet. Wednesday morning, city officials toured the construction site at 10th Street and West Avenue, where workers were installing a pumping system that will collect, filter and push storm water into Biscayne Bay. The city has a five-year, $300 million plan to install about 60 pumps throughout Miami Beach."

Old 10-17-2015, 10:22 AM

299 posts, read 378,111 times
I am a boater.. and have a couple of friends that live on the water.... I have not seen any rise in 30 years. The $300MM project in Miami Beach is just lining the pockets of the climate chance charlatans.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like you are the one with an agenda. You are moving to Florida, but familiar with Alton Road?

You really believe that Miami Beach is spending $300 million to pump water off the roads just for the fun of it? Believe me, they would rather be spending money on other things and not jamming up the traffic with gridlock in order to install pumps to get rid of the rising waters. Their main agenda is to keep the tourists coming.

"The expedited projects come in anticipation of a higher king tide than last year, which is projected to rise to nearly four feet. Beach streets start to flood at around three feet. Wednesday morning, city officials toured the construction site at 10th Street and West Avenue, where workers were installing a pumping system that will collect, filter and push storm water into Biscayne Bay. The city has a five-year, $300 million plan to install about 60 pumps throughout Miami Beach."
My goal is to hear from real Floridians who have witnessed first hand the rising ocean due to global warming. I don't want to read more articles with political undertones from all walks of life. If you want to call that an agenda then so be it but I see it as trying to get real data and opinions from the people that are experiencing effects from the rising oceans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida