Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:08 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,166 times

Advertisements

My family has a lot of rich vegetable gardens. Bell pepper, tomato, eggplant, lettuce, onions, sunflowers, and so many varieties of each. My mom has three different spicy peppers growing right now. Herbs galore. Also Florida has a rich variety of fruit trees that can be grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 08:12 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
My family has a lot of rich vegetable gardens. Bell pepper, tomato, eggplant, lettuce, onions, sunflowers, and so many varieties of each. My mom has three different spicy peppers growing right now. Herbs galore. Also Florida has a rich variety of fruit trees that can be grown.
Wonderful

Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
I wouldnt worry too much about the heat, get out early in the morning and later in the evening and find stuff that isnt too high maintenance. My sister is a chef at a southern restaurant in tampa and grows okra, black eye peas, eggplant, sweet potatoes , Watermelon, peppers, etc in the summer

Gardening in the south is amazing , from southern north carolina down you get into 8a 8b and into even 11a plant hardiness zones in south florida. really year round gardening as the ground doesnt freeze. i would move south just to garden year round

Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I wouldnt worry too much about the heat, get out early in the morning and later in the evening and find stuff that isnt too high maintenance. My sister is a chef at a southern restaurant in tampa and grows okra, black eye peas, eggplant, sweet potatoes , Watermelon, peppers, etc in the summer

Gardening in the south is amazing , from southern north carolina down you get into 8a 8b and into even 11a plant hardiness zones in south florida. really year round gardening as the ground doesnt freeze. i would move south just to garden year round
Great news!! Thank you SO much!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:28 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,667,243 times
as the crow flies, we live about 20 minutes from the gulf coast. the 'dirt' is little more than sand void of anything it needs to grow plants. and in the summer, it really is too hot to grow vegetables. not to mention the nematodes and other evil doers. gardening down here sucks. be prepared. it ain't Wisconsin.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
as the crow flies, we live about 20 minutes from the gulf coast. the 'dirt' is little more than sand void of anything it needs to grow plants. and in the summer, it really is too hot to grow vegetables. not to mention the nematodes and other evil doers. gardening down here sucks. be prepared. it ain't Wisconsin.

Maybe you need to get with Happiness -is-close and take a few gardening tips. I saw on one video a guy was growing coffee in his garden, might have been South Florida though.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
My father passed years ago, but he lived in Tampa, and for his entire life he could grow anything and everything, including coffee and corn! And it was all delicious. There is an amazing amount of delicious crops that can be grown here, but yes it will take some work. You will need to improve the soil in most areas especially if you live near the coast. That said many things will grow with very little work. I grow many citrus fruits, I am two blocks from the bay and I barely do anything to them, they are mostly on their own.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWWTIy0ECA

Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Maybe you need to get with Happiness -is-close and take a few gardening tips. I saw on one video a guy was growing coffee in his garden, might have been South Florida though.
We had Swiss chard harvested from moms garden yesterday. It was delicious. Mom is a great gardener though. She has a green thumb and I have a brown thumb. I am not good with plants. Lol.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My father passed years ago, but he lived in Tampa, and for his entire life he could grow anything and everything, including coffee and corn! And it was all delicious. There is an amazing amount of delicious crops that can be grown here, but yes it will take some work. You will need to improve the soil in most areas especially if you live near the coast. That said many things will grow with very little work. I grow many citrus fruits, I am two blocks from the bay and I barely do anything to them, they are mostly on their own.
Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida