Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times

Advertisements

Just inquiring about what the area of Florida you decided to move to and why.
I have met some pretty cool people on here so far (you know who you are LOLOL) and I hope they add their comments as well
This forum has given me a great insight about allot of things and I LOVE IT!! (I have done other research as well, of course, about what parts of Florida I would like to move to)
Knowledge is power right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 04:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Just inquiring about what the area of Florida you decided to move to and why.
I have met some pretty cool people on here so far (you know who you are LOLOL) and I hope they add their comments as well
This forum has given me a great insight about allot of things and I LOVE IT!! (I have done other research as well, of course, about what parts of Florida I would like to move to)
Knowledge is power right?
Still checking, but probably the Central East coast near Cocoa beach and that vicinity. Less crowded both Summer and Winter. Kinda ignored by Snow Birds and in Summer the main inflow is from Orlando and that area.Yes hot in Summer, but sea breezes and mild Winters in general. Cost is also reasonable.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:37 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
West Davie (Fort Lauderdale). It's a perfect mix of rural with some farms and horses, but in an urban area with everything South Florida has to offer. So we get a more laid back feel, great schools, farmers markets, parks, along with an acre of property, but just a few minutes from everything.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:03 PM

473 posts, read 548,053 times
That one week of deep freeze in Dallas during the 2011 Superbowl did me in. My initial FoB (Florida or Bust) plan was just that, not any place specific other than somewhere that had no cold weather in Florida so that eliminated the panhandle. I started with job interviews in the Weston area north of Miami. When I told my boss of my FoB plan, he helped arranged for a transfer to a branch location in St Pete. I knew nothing about Tampa area at the time so told him that I'd do a recon trip and will make up my mind in 6 months. Took the family to DisneyWorld that one Xmas in 2011, stopped by Tampa/St Pete for 4 days to check around and made up our mind to move that following summer.

I'd have to say the longer I've been here the more I like it. Coming up on 4 yrs now this summer. So many things to do between here and Orlando that we haven't had a chance to go visit further south yet.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
I'm a native who hasn't lived in FL for over 6 years, but I grew up in Tampa and it's a pretty balanced city. I also like Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. Can't go wrong with either of them. But as far as cities go, I prefer the makeup of those 3.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 PM

499 posts, read 586,762 times
I live in Wellington, FL. It is a "village" of about 60,000 people located in west Palm Beach County, inland of West Palm Beach. Back in the mid-late '90s, my husband and I used to vacation frequently in Hollywood Florida and always planned on moving there. Loved it b/c it was midway between Fort Lauderdale & Miami. Had an opportunity to buy a condo there for like 20K on the intracoastal but didn't (now its worth $$$).

Fast forward 15 years - after hurricane Sandy in late 2012, birth of our baby in Jan 2013, and the monster Feb blizzard of 2013, we decided we were done with CT. Decided we needed to look for an area with A-rated schools & Hollywood did not fit the bill. Read a Money magazine article that listed Wellington FL as one of the top 100 places to live in the country. Came for a visit and was blown away by the gorgeous lush landscape, immaculately clean streets & parks, family-oriented atmosphere, and top-rated schools. Moved here in May 2015 and LOVE LOVE LOVE every minute of it. My only regret is that we didn't move down here sooner

Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 PM

Awesome you guys!! Thanks for sharing!! ��

Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I moved to Broward county, Pompano Beach almost 8 years ago, liked it but it got expensive so I moved to Lee county which is the Fort Myers area. I had vacationed in the Fort Lauderdale area and loved it which is why I moved there, but anywhere in south Florida is better than the northeast where I grew up.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,456 times
We live in Ormond by the sea zip 32176. We choose this area because you can find affordable houses where you can walk to the beach. Our weather is comfortable, more comfortable than the mainland and Ormond Beach has a lower incidence of hurricanes than most areas along the coast. The surfing isn't as good as some places like Coco Beach, but we weren't thinking of how good the surfing is at the end of the street when we were looking for a house - silly us.

We like having places like Lagerheads with outdoor seating and free live music near by. We get high speed internet and there are lots of hospitals and doctors near by, this is a good place to grow old. We don't have any kids in K-12 so we don't care that the school's suck.

Our other criteria for the area was it is in either Florida or Hawaii and it met that criteria too.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
We live in Ormond by the sea zip 32176. We choose this area because you can find affordable houses where you can walk to the beach. Our weather is comfortable, more comfortable than the mainland and Ormond Beach has a lower incidence of hurricanes than most areas along the coast. The surfing isn't as good as some places like Coco Beach, but we weren't thinking of how good the surfing is at the end of the street when we were looking for a house - silly us.

We like having places like Lagerheads with outdoor seating and free live music near by. We get high speed internet and there are lots of hospitals and doctors near by, this is a good place to grow old. We don't have any kids in K-12 so we don't care that the school's suck.

Our other criteria for the area was it is in either Florida or Hawaii and it met that criteria too.
Yes, that is what I want---comfortable climate, outdoor entertainment, relaxed environment and I don't care what the schools are like since my kids will be all out of school by the time I get there (within the next 2 years)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida