Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times

Advertisements

I'm the same way, though I didn't come from up north, I wanted to move out of Florida and go north since high school. I ended up going more west than north, to Texas. Not cuz Texas was a place I dreamed of living in, but because I got in a relationship with a Texan. Turns out, while not where I wanna stay the rest of my life, Texas has lassoed my heart like a frontier cowboy!

I like it here so much, even on days when I curse the 101 degree weather, I know fall will eventually come and by then I am SURE glad I'm not back in Florida. I like that there's actual hills here, and deciduous trees. People are generally nicer. I mean you still got jerks and a-holes but its the 2nd biggest state in population, they can't all be roses and peaches.

I didn't hate Florida as a whole as much as Miami. Sometimes I miss the state of Florida, sometimes I miss the beaches in the summer, my family, the farmlands in the northern part, visiting my aunt and grandma in Naples and sleeping over during the summer, Publix and its delicious fried chicken and bomb ass cakes, the beaches of Key Biscayne, the Everglades. I proudly proclaim Florida as my homestate, and it definitely has a lot of beauty and I agree with the others who said there's plenty of nature, plenty of woodlands. It's not all suburbia. If someone never leaves the DFW area in Texas they'd think its endless suburbia too, but reality is if you go west on I-20 you see the vast central plains of the state and the beauty of a west Texas sunset.

Travel within Florida and you'll find stuff to enjoy. But I agree, move. It's not for everyone, not for me. I guess I hated Miami specifically more than Florida in general. Whenever I visit, I have no problem in places like Tampa, Gainesville, Live Oak, Naples, etc. etc. but when its back in Miami its something else entirely. I love that almost everyone speaks English here and I like that it snows sometimes. It's not where I wanna live the rest of my life, not where I wanna raise a family, that would be Minnesota, but I like it for now and I'm so glad I moved out of FL and never moving back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I think what happens to alot of people once they move to Florida, is they get down there and pretty soon after that it stops feeling like vacation, real life sets in, and all of a sudden living in Florida is not as much fun as they were expecting it to be.

It's hard to admit they made a mistake after they made a big production up North about how great Florida is and how bad the home state is and that's why they are moving to Florida, to leave the cold and all things bad about the North behind.

Once they realize they don't like living in Florida, they have too much pride to go back home and admit they made a mistake by moving to Florida in the 1st place.

So they stay in Florida in spite of not liking it and being unhappy and over time, they slowly develop a nasty attitude with the locals and blame everything and everybody else for their own unhappiness all the while telling all their friends and kin up north just how wonderful Florida is and how much they love it there.

I think thats exactly what happens with lots transplants, not just Florida, but everywhere there are transplants.

Pride's a *bleep* if you let it rule you .

Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM

49 posts, read 61,846 times
Your young (21) and maybe it's your time to get out and see the world. I'm 3, lived in NY my whole life. I see moving to Florida as a fresh start, it's all about what area of the country you like and the cost of living.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlight79 View Post
Your young (21) and maybe it's your time to get out and see the world. I'm 3, lived in NY my whole life. I see moving to Florida as a fresh start, it's all about what area of the country you like and the cost of living.
Hello fellow New Yorker, there are so many people from Long Island living in Tampa Bay. I don't miss the cost of living Westchester County but I do miss Hudson Valley. Then, if I had to wake up with a yearly $7500 property tax bill on a $230000 house I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything in NY.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:27 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What makes you think people aren't happy living in Iowa or Portland or Seattle? The PNW is a very vibrant place, people there tend to love living there because of the progressive politics, clean air and access to nature. As far as Iowa, I actually wanted to live on a farm up there when I was a boy. I loved visiting my uncle and great grandpa's dairy farm in northern Florida and I wouldn't mind owning a farm when I'm older myself.

The belief that Floridians, especially South Floridians have that they're so much better for whatever reason gets really annoying. Not everyone wants to live by the beach. In fact, Florida often ranks as one of the most miserable states, with a lot of the rest of the south trailing behind. But go ahead, bash on those Iowa farmers, I just hope corn and dairy aren't part of your diet
Link? FL is a mecca for outdoor activities/water sports etc.. if someone is not into that lifestyle, yes he/she might feel miserable and not be a good fit for this state. Iowa is landlocked and flat.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
Hello fellow New Yorker, there are so many people from Long Island living in Tampa Bay. I don't miss the cost of living Westchester County but I do miss Hudson Valley. Then, if I had to wake up with a yearly $7500 property tax bill on a $230000 house I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything in NY.
I would say all, at least most, of us who did the "Escape From New York" are not regretting their decision to bail out. I did it 28 years ago. Never regretted it.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Link? FL is a mecca for outdoor activities/water sports etc.. if someone is not into that lifestyle, yes he/she might feel miserable and not be a good fit for this state. Iowa is landlocked and flat.
A lot of people dont care much, if any, about outdoor activity. Everyone has different needs and desires.
Lot's of people are happy waking up to the view of a mountain, living in a desert or being in the middle of a farm. Many enjoy the change of seasons and the changes in the weather. Then there are people who find that Florida meets their needs.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I would say all, at least most, of us who did the "Escape From New York" are not regretting their decision to bail out. I did it 28 years ago. Never regretted it.
I love NY for its nature, Hudson Valley is amazing etc. We were about to close on the house in Dutchess but the seller was signing the contract forever so we cancelled. We make enough to live there comfortably but I couldn't come to terms with paying so much money in property taxes over there. I would never be able to sell the house since those taxes tend to depress property values. Westchester/Dutchess are ready for a generational turnover but it's not happening. How many young people are eager to pay $700 a month in property taxes?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
I love NY for its nature, Hudson Valley is amazing etc. We were about to close on the house in Dutchess but the seller was signing the contract forever so we cancelled. We make enough to live there comfortably but I couldn't come to terms with paying so much money in property taxes over there. I would never be able to sell the house since those taxes tend to depress property values. Westchester/Dutchess are ready for a generational turnover but it's not happening. How many young people are eager to pay $700 a month in property taxes?

I have a friend who did the escape and went tom Washington, NY which is Orange County. Now that the kids have left and he retired from his City of NY job, he wants to relocate but cant sell the house.

]

Old 08-04-2016, 10:37 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
I don't think you're immature- just trying to find your way in life, just like we all did, whether we want to admit to that or not-and that's OK. I think the military would be good for you. Yes, you'll get out of Florida and see other things and see other ppl. You'll also get training/ experience at a career.

Florida is NOT like it use to be. It has become the "in" place to go, and attractive to retirees. As Baby Boomers retire, they are looking to get away from the snow and cold. Arthritis and other conditions feel better and it is harder to shovel snow as you get older. However, it is NOT Nirvana, no matter what ppl say. There are trade offs.

It is very hot and humid, buggy, crowded and expensive. Now there are rural areas and many state and national parks, but that is just what they are. Either rural- with no town/ place to shop, and you can hear the "Deliverance" theme music playing, or they are state and national parks- not someplace you can buy a house. You go there and visit, then go home.

Florida is not for everyone, just like living in northern Michigan is for everyone, or living in the desert around Las Vegas for everyone, or living in rainy, wet Seattle for everyone.

Ppl need to do there research and know what they like and find the best place for them. Everyone has likes and dislikes, and every place has pros and cons. All you can do is find a place with the most pros for things you like.

Travel as much as you can. Go out into the world, either with the military and/ or on your own. There are jobs that let you travel. I don't know what you are taking at college, but just to give you an idea- there are traveling nurses that have 3 month contracts at hospitals then go on to another hospital. It's great to see the country, get paid, and they supply housing.

You are an adult- some parents just think that you need to have the same likes and dislikes as them- after all didn't they raise you? They just can't seem to realize that you are your own person.

You have some time yet since you are still in school but do not wait to start planning what YOU want to do. It's your life. Don't wait for the point where you are saying- "If only...", " I should have..", etc. If you make a mistake- so what?- the only bad mistakes you can make is you ending up dead or in prison for life. You learn from all your other mistakes and move on.

Don't like Florida? -you are not alone. Many ppl don't. And it don't matter the reasons. You just don't. Move on when you can and see the world. Life is too short to be someplace you don't like and don't want to be.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida