Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:09 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times

Advertisements

I mean, the storm is literally hitting Florida right now. Widespread damage around Daytona.... storm is far from over. How can you say the governor screwed up? Lol.

NOTHING Scott can say would be correct in your mind, you are so lost in a fantasy land of political bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
What is a Govoner? The next hurricane to hit FL?

This just in..Hurricane Govoner approaches FL. Forecasteres standing by..

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Are you guys mad at the governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and saying "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY? And he said this after the storm showed it would not hit south florida and people were playing on the beaches and it was not even raining. He should be held accountable for that. I watched live footage all day, there were kids playing soccer and doing handstands on the beach and people surfing while the weatherman forecasted death and destruction. The weather forecasters as well should be held accountable for massively mis-predicating this storm. This is not the first hurricane they mis-predicated eithor, it's just incompetence at this point. And after they dropped the ball they did not have the guts to admit they were wrong, and kept forecasting death and destruction even as they stood on the beach with a low water level, moderate winds, and no rain and people playing behind them, even saying it was unsafe and they should leave. They said the one that hit tampa would be huge and kill people and it was nothing. Apparently the weather satellites they use are old and need to be replaced is what someone told me, they should just replace them already instead of keep screwing up.

And you would have preferred that he says, "Nah, go ahead with the hurricane parties, drink up, no probs." And then have people dying because a hurricane does an unexpected left turn toward land? Nice piece of logical thinking there. Glad you're not the governor. Go back to your Yeungling, pal.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Are you guys mad at the governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and saying "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY? And he said this after the storm showed it would not hit south florida and people were playing on the beaches and it was not even raining. He should be held accountable for that. I watched live footage all day, there were kids playing soccer and doing handstands on the beach and people surfing while the weatherman forecasted death and destruction. The weather forecasters as well should be held accountable for massively mis-predicating this storm. This is not the first hurricane they mis-predicated eithor, it's just incompetence at this point. And after they dropped the ball they did not have the guts to admit they were wrong, and kept forecasting death and destruction even as they stood on the beach with a low water level, moderate winds, and no rain and people playing behind them, even saying it was unsafe and they should leave. They said the one that hit tampa would be huge and kill people and it was nothing. Apparently the weather satellites they use are old and need to be replaced is what someone told me, they should just replace them already instead of keep screwing up.
And if they said "screw the storm, it will be nothing to worry about" and then it turns out to be a very destructive storm (and it is) your thoughts would be much different. If you lived in Florida you would know that any hurricane is a bad hurricane.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:14 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
It all totally depends where you live. Right on the water? Something to worry about from the surge. Farther inland? Not as much.

Get out? Body bags, as Scott was saying? Key West? Nothing. Collier and Lee? Nothing. Even Dade and Broward, which were under evacuation, there wasn't much. I read one report that said the Airports in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale would be closed for weeks. Really? My Snowbird neighbors from Pa. put up their hurricane shutters in Naples. Traffic and supermarkets were crazy yesterday. We left out our charcoal grill and small table. The table did not even overturn, which it has in some normal Rainy Season weather. To quote a Native Floridian cowrker who said to me before a Tropical Storm, which Matthew even wasn't in a most of Florida, "If you cannot pick it up yourself, Tropical Storm winds won't pick it up either". lol True.

I was in NY for Sandy. One friend who lived right on the water in Long Beach had to be helped to be evacuated because her house flooded and water was up to her shoulders. Inland? Hardly any rain at all. Winds? That depended on the direction of the winds. Some streets looked like nothing had ever happened, while streets just around the corner had big trees down on homes, roofs off, fences blown away, etc. Just depends on where you lived.

Is it still a Cat 4 or 3? Does not sound like it. The entire state has not been devestated with "body bags".

Last edited by Jo48; 10-07-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
I'm not mad because a storm can turn inland and if it hit there would have been devastation, but for the most part they knew the trajectory and they know where it's headed and it was exaggerated. He was just doing damage control before the fact in case it was worse than expected.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Would you folks who are not one of the 1 million people with no electricity, didnt have a tree fall on your house, have your roof torn off, your street blocked by felled trees be happier if it happened to you?

The storm shifted east overnight and that has lessened the catastrophic conditions that were expected in some portions of Central Florida. Had it moved west it would have been much worse than it already is.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Would you folks who are not one of the 1 million people with no electricity, didnt have a tree fall on your house, have your roof torn off, your street blocked by felled trees be happier if it happened to you?

The storm shifted east overnight and that has lessened the catastrophic conditions that were expected in some portions of Central Florida. Had it moved west it would have been much worse than it already is.
I'm one of the ones that worked my butt off trying to figure out hurricane shutters, for this rental. They were not clearly marked and we had to figure out where they went by size. We had never had to deal with hurricanes and shutters and learned as we went along.

Nothing happened to our place and we knew we were far enough inland to not get hit with a storm surge. I still think the Governor did the right thing in warning everyone. That was a powerful storm and all it would have taken is a slight shift and it would have been a far different story.

I do not blame anyone for trying to predict the unpredictable. All the professionals are really only giving educated guesses as to where a hurricane will track.

If you want to be mad and blame someone, blame them for giving wrong (insert eyeroll here) information. Not the Governor for reacting to information given to him.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:57 AM

237 posts, read 245,770 times
Quote:
Are you stupid? What you got hit by was not a cat 4, it was a cat 4 30 miles or more away from the coast but you didn't feel it.

That's funny coming from you. You're obviously a troll or a moron. How about you stay in your NY forum.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:29 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I'm not mad because a storm can turn inland and if it hit there would have been devastation, but for the most part they knew the trajectory and they know where it's headed and it was exaggerated. He was just doing damage control before the fact in case it was worse than expected.
And made a lot of money to boot. All the hotels in both Naples and Ft. Myers were solidly booked from mandatory evacuations on the east coast. Did the State of Florida pay for this? Of course not. Private citizens had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida