Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

HA, HA - Rain - you shouldn't jump to conclusions - if you have read any of my posts, you would know 2 things I'm actually a nice person and 2 that it was out of my character to do that. He wasn't glancing, he was damn near inside the car. There have been a lot of cars broken into on our block as of late and well, he looked out of place. You can form what ever opinion you'd like but had he not come toward me like he was going to do something, I would never have done that. Not that it was right because it wasnt! I was wrong, I admit that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
HA, HA - Rain - you shouldn't jump to conclusions - if you have read any of my posts, you would know 2 things I'm actually a nice person and 2 that it was out of my character to do that. He wasn't glancing, he was damn near inside the car. There have been a lot of cars broken into on our block as of late and well, he looked out of place. You can form what ever opinion you'd like but had he not come toward me like he was going to do something, I would never have done that. Not that it was right because it wasnt! I was wrong, I admit that!

Okay....I apologize Sorry about that!
Sincerely, & Happy Holidays,
~rainroosty~

Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
No worries - I didn't explain everything and after I read it again and realize it looked like i was just a crazy woman who just did something really gross.

Happy holidays to you and all my other CD friends!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 16,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Geographically speaking.

And yes, some parts of FL are still southern. Especially the panhandle and other parts of north FL and a little bit in Central FL.
you for got about south florida rual areas like
the heart land them areas are very southern to

Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

210 posts, read 665,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. When I lived in Florida as a kid WAY back in the early 70s, I could remember hearing the natives speaking with a Southern accent, like the kind heard in Georgia and Alabama. I'm guessing that with the large influx of people from northern areas of the country and immigrants from Latin America, that the Southern accent in Florida is dying out, except in the northern part of the state from Jacksonville and going west. And I think that's sad, really. In South Florida, it seems that one hears either a New York accent or Spanish accent more than a Southern accent.

I knew a guy who was from North Carolina who lives here in Southern California, and he tells me that he doesn't think that Florida is a southern state, the same way that Georgia, Alabama, the Carolinas, etc., are, despite the fact that going back in history, Florida was a Confederate state during the Civil War. But then, I think most of the population was in the northern part near Georgia and Alabama. The rest of the state was yet to be discovered.

And look what's happened to it now...
You know the difference between a YANKEE AND A DAMN YANKEE...THE DAMN YANKEE STAYS. But I would not recommend telling anyone from the following towns they are not Southern or from the South; you may get shot!

Marianna FL, Live Oak FL, Plant City FL, Fernandina Beach FL, Daytona BEach FL, Lake City FL, Brooksville FL, Fort Pierce FL, Okeechobee FL, Apalachicola FL, Panama City FL, Chiply FL, Quincey FL, Bonifay FL, Defuniak Springs FL, Milton FL, Wewahitchka FL, Homestead FL, Stuart, Clewiston FL, Bartow FL, Floral CIty, HOmosassa Springs FL, St Augustine FL, ORmaond Beach, Lake Butler, Cross CIty FL, Madison FL, Monticello FL, Jasper FL, Havana Fl, Mexico Beach FL, Port St. Joe FL, Detin FL, Ft. Walton Beach FL, Perry FL, Chiefland FL, Lamont FL, Blountstown FL, Graceville FL, Crestview FL, NIceville FL, Miramar Beach FL, Gasparilla Island FL, LAguna Beach FL, Carabelle FL, Alligator Point FL< St. George Island FL, Steinhatchee FL, Starke FL, Palatka FL, Dunnellon FL, Inverness FL, Fish HAwk FL, St. Cloud FL, Immokalee FL, Belle Glade FL, Labelle FL, Wauchula FL, Lake Placid FL

Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

210 posts, read 665,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I am a native FL cracker and yes FL has a lot of southern hospitality left where it is still old FL. A lot of good times can be had over a bowl of ham & beans with some collard greens and cornbread. All usually goes well until we start hearing how much better they do it up north and we ought to change our ways down here. Then all bets are off and I think most flea markets sell bumper stickers that say "If You Love NY I-95 Goes North Too." The memories of the raping of the south by Carpetbaggers post civil war as taught in history books at school are hard memories for some to let go of. Those memories can cut good southern hospitality short for some who choose to not be so hospitable themselves. My 2¢.
Well said Normadicus......and that goes for any other so-called Southerners from other Southern states who have the audacity to say Florida is not Southern...yall, along with all the damn yankees, can stay the hell out of our state as well...if you were true Southerners you would have more manners than to say such rude comments.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 PM

109 posts, read 439,985 times
I have always said there is a vast differance between South Florida and North Florida, regardless of what lattitude you draw the line. Southern Florida in my opinion is not a State but a Foriegn Country, there is little of anything original left to that part of the country. I am not sure of the swamp area and the keys but everything else, is a hodgepodge of cultures, ethnics and carpetbaggers. As far as the term"Shell Cracker", I was lead to believe that was derived from the more prevelant panfish of the south, the red ear or "shell cracker" and I was told that because this was a common and popular species that the country people fished, they were referred to as " shell crackers".

Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM

109 posts, read 439,985 times
I stand corrected on the term "cracker" you are right it was a term given to poorer white people who hearded the cattle and it reffered to the "crack" of their whips. I have heard the the term shell cracker that was geared more to the country folk that fished"shell crackers". I would guess you have more knowledge on this subject and I guess that is why they refer to certain housing in FL. rural areas as " Cracker Style"?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,958 times
Default Cracker

The term "cracker" came from the crack of a whip that a slave owner used to get his attention. The owner used a whip to move cattle, horses etc. The owner would also use the whip to persuade slaves which is where the phrase "moving at the crack of a whip", came from. The cracker houses are actually very small houses the white land owner would build his farm workers or slaves to house them in so he could keep them near the fields and not in his house. there were small row houses which are still standing today not far from me here in Florida.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
The term cracker comes from what ever source you choose to believe.
I was brought up believing it was from the crack of the whip in herding cattle.

Other's choose to believe the slavery version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida