Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,065,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I sure am glad I sold my Florida home while it was still worth something, and above sea level. That sucker who bought it from me is in for One heckuva surprise 50 years from now when the waves are breaking over the roofline.

I took the proceeds and bought an electric car, and moved high atop Lookout Mountain in Tennessee. Now, I live off the grid 2,388 feet above sea level on the highest ridge. I bought 6 solar panels to power my electric car, and my laptop.

If my prediction does not turn out to be 100% accurate, I'll give you everything I own...including my Lookout Mountain property, electric car, & solar panels.

You forgot about the main problem living on top of a mountain! Fire travels up hill really fast!

You are a just a careless cigarette toss on a windy day away from your own perils!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Parts of other states will be far worse affected. When sea levels rise, they do not rise "equally." Other factors such as off-shore shelf patterns make a huge difference.

From: https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/rep...ions/southeast

Old 02-21-2019, 12:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Parts of other states will be far worse affected. When sea levels rise, they do not rise "equally." Other factors such as off-shore shelf patterns make a huge difference.

From: https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/rep...ions/southeast

Do you have a link to this map? TIA.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
The link is in my post...it is farther down that page.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
How do we KNOW it's all a scam?
Because climate changes, but there is no evidence that MAN is causing it. (That's why they avoid anthropogenic when referring to climate change.)
Why aren't the ALARMISTS seeking common sense solutions?

● Ocean rising? Build polders, extensive levees and d_ikes, like the Dutch.
● Fossil fuel consumption is bad? Then only build superinsulated structures, shift from automobiles to electric trains (saving 90% in energy costs alone), and stop subsidizing waste and consumption!
● Wildlife habitat at risk? Build more habitat. Encourage the "Greening" of every flat rooftop. Engineer mountains to be more fertile habitat via terracing. Forget conservation and status quo - that’s suicidal - we need environmental AMPLIFICATION - to support more abundant life.

But no-o-o-o, Alarmists want money and power by taxing air and sequestering carbon (!) despite the fact that the #1 greenhouse gas is WATER VAPOR and plants need carbon dioxide to live.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You forgot about the main problem living on top of a mountain! Fire travels up hill really fast!

You are a just a careless cigarette toss on a windy day away from your own perils!
The Chattanooga Choo Choo would wisk me to safety if a fire broke out. I got that covered!

Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM

486 posts, read 517,415 times
I love how all of that web site's data is based on "Historical points".. aka 1971 to today... most of us on this forum have more historical data than that. Also its projected temps are all above the actual observed data.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:49 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
How do we KNOW it's all a scam?
Because climate changes, but there is no evidence that MAN is causing it. (That's why they avoid anthropogenic when referring to climate change.)
Why aren't the ALARMISTS seeking common sense solutions?

● Ocean rising? Build polders, extensive levees and d_ikes, like the Dutch.
● Fossil fuel consumption is bad? Then only build superinsulated structures, shift from automobiles to electric trains (saving 90% in energy costs alone), and stop subsidizing waste and consumption!
● Wildlife habitat at risk? Build more habitat. Encourage the "Greening" of every flat rooftop. Engineer mountains to be more fertile habitat via terracing. Forget conservation and status quo - that’s suicidal - we need environmental AMPLIFICATION - to support more abundant life.

But no-o-o-o, Alarmists want money and power by taxing air and sequestering carbon (!) despite the fact that the #1 greenhouse gas is WATER VAPOR and plants need carbon dioxide to live.
That is one awesome post, and goes right to the heart of why I don't get into the whole climate change issue. When I read about the financialization and commoditization involved, I was out.

As you've said, if there truly was a concern, there are steps that can be followed to mitigate the situation. And they don't require a "Paris Accord".

Oh, and recycling anyone? Anyone? I thought it was a good idea, but it's dying an ugly death because China doesn't want our waste anymore, and no one can make a buck on it.

PS: I'm having a ball educating myself on prepping these days. You can learn a lot from it. Some preps seem to be needlessly complex, I reject those. But there's so much that can be done with simple, cost saving solutions in one's own life. You get to prep and live better at the same time.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The following article saying that one-eighth of Florida homes face inundation by 2100 is predicated on only six feet of sea level rise by 2100. We may experience 4 feet or more of sea level rise by 2070 if fossil fuel consumption globally isn't greatly reduced. One bad storm away from a rush for the exits? So ponders one quoted real estate developer, who said that 60 percent of prospective purchasers now are concerned by elevation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ign=pockethits

https://www.zillow.com/research/clim...r-homes-12890/

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...620-story.html

Changes in the national flood insurance program to account for sea level rise may impact the value of coastal property long before the properties actually face inundation. Higher sea levels raise the likelihood of higher storm surges during hurricanes, as well as other negative impacts, such as failing septic tanks.

Risk From Rising Seas Could Sink South Florida's Economy Before The Water Even Arrives | WLRN

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinio...das-waterfront

Who will pay the cost of clearing coastal environments of toxic materials and other environmental hazards prior to inundation?

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...mility-review/
Miami is already experiencing rising water and issues with septic tanks.

Of course there is global warming and rising waters--we no longer have any semblance of a winter. When I lived in Miami in the 90s, I had coats, boots and sweaters and remember wearing them in December in South Beach. I have not had to wear a sweater or coat for 2 years. It seems pretty obvious.

A $3 Billion Problem: Miami-Dade

https://thenewtropic.com/climate-cha...c-tanks-miami/

Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I have not had to wear a sweater or coat for 2 years. ]
are you kidding....I'm way south of you and froze my butt off this year..it started the first of Nov and no breaks until finally a few weeks ago....I almost lost a greenhouse full of orchids this year..all of them

..and a few years ago we had a hard freeze for 3 days....ice in the fish pond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida