Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:29 PM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
According to this editorial, the red tide bloom had a significantly negative impact on the Sarasota County tourism economy in Q4 2018. Visitors were down 9 percent and their direct expenditures were down 7.5 percent, according to the editorial.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/opinio...tide-and-green
The editorial was wrong according to the Sarasota County Tourism Board. Revenues were up .6%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Perhaps readers would like to read through this thread, especially the posts of residents in the last few months, and decide for themselves the identity of the "Eco-wacko" in the thread. E.g., see posts 734 and 741.

Red Tide that bad???

See posts 2 and 4 in this thread.

State says Red Tide is gone.....for now
Hows the algae in your back yard of Lake Erie? Cyannobacteria sound really bad. Ohio has 80,000 fracking wells..what the frack WR? You got some 'splainin to do. Ethane Cracker plants Ohio 2, Florida 0. Did you get fired by Marathon oils HQ's there? Maybe one of the oil refinieries? Are you just jealous that your home state of Ohio ranks #37 on the natural environment and Florida's #1? You know there's more land mass now than there was 20 years ago right? How can seas be rising if there's more land mass? I'll bet you are still driving that gas burning car to the Browns games. If Ohio's so great and Florida's so bad why so many Ohio car tags down here in Florida? How many Florida tags you seeing up there? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:07 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Just a normal 1500 year warming cycle.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just a normal 1500 year warming cycle.
Sannibel and Captiva didn't exist 1500 years ago......

It's like we used to tell people who wanted to install our boilers....."it's easy, only the first one is hard - but you only get to do the first one".......

That is, we and our posterity are basically concerned with decades and, at most, 100-200 years....so anything "normal over 1,000 or more years" stamp us out like ants.

Most of the effects of GW get baked into the cake slowly...you know, like that lobster in water that slowly boils. Taxes go up. Insurance rates go up. Building costs in lower lying areas go up....

This is no small thing. The entire insurance industry in Florida had to be rejiggered after Andrew and costs are still up to 4X as high as many other areas.

I stand by my earlier statement - Floridians living at a decent height over sea level don't have much to worry about in their lifetimes. Low lying areas are already adjusting (building new or replacement buildings higher, changing the height of seawalls, etc.)....

I think many have a difficult time with such subjects because there is the micro and the macro...and short term and long term. The "selfish" view would be that we have nothing at all to be concerned about...and short of barrier islands and really low stuff, that's 100% true.

But the larger picture is that trillions of dollars will eventually be spent...and COLLECTED...from all of us to continue to conform to whatever Mother Nature throws at us. That's not political...it's economic.

Most of what we can do to mitigate things would benefit those who come after us. Many other effects are not likely to be pinned on GW - when you have more allergies and red tide caused disease, we don't think "oh, I need to get a car that pollutes less"......same goes with when a Hurricane rolls over.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...222132780.html

https://sealevelrise.org/states/florida/
A foot of sea level rise in one lifetime- that's a lot by any measure. And if it is speeding up (as they say and the chart says), that means up to 2-3 feet in a lifetime soon.

That's real change. But, again, most all of us will be dust before the sea is rolling over Pinecraft in Sarasota (22-25 feet above sea level).

Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sannibel and Captiva didn't exist 1500 years ago......

It's like we used to tell people who wanted to install our boilers....."it's easy, only the first one is hard - but you only get to do the first one".......

That is, we and our posterity are basically concerned with decades and, at most, 100-200 years....so anything "normal over 1,000 or more years" stamp us out like ants.

Most of the effects of GW get baked into the cake slowly...you know, like that lobster in water that slowly boils. Taxes go up. Insurance rates go up. Building costs in lower lying areas go up....

This is no small thing. The entire insurance industry in Florida had to be rejiggered after Andrew and costs are still up to 4X as high as many other areas.

I stand by my earlier statement - Floridians living at a decent height over sea level don't have much to worry about in their lifetimes. Low lying areas are already adjusting (building new or replacement buildings higher, changing the height of seawalls, etc.)....

I think many have a difficult time with such subjects because there is the micro and the macro...and short term and long term. The "selfish" view would be that we have nothing at all to be concerned about...and short of barrier islands and really low stuff, that's 100% true.

But the larger picture is that trillions of dollars will eventually be spent...and COLLECTED...from all of us to continue to conform to whatever Mother Nature throws at us. That's not political...it's economic.

Most of what we can do to mitigate things would benefit those who come after us. Many other effects are not likely to be pinned on GW - when you have more allergies and red tide caused disease, we don't think "oh, I need to get a car that pollutes less"......same goes with when a Hurricane rolls over.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...222132780.html

A foot of sea level rise in one lifetime- that's a lot by any measure. And if it is speeding up (as they say and the chart says), that means up to 2-3 feet in a lifetime soon.

That's real change. But, again, most all of us will be dust before the sea is rolling over Pinecraft in Sarasota (22-25 feet above sea level).
You are correct to a degree, but long term history is not a true guide as the pollution if the air and earth by man is having an impact and we can really only look back less than 100 years for any real references. Man is impacting the earth, but the Idea of Global warming, or shall we say Climate Change is more political issue for most. All yoiu have to do to see some of it is go to La Vegas and then realize that many years ago that only a swamp cooler was needed, due to low humidity, but with the advent of LOTS of people, homes and lawns, etc, the humidity ahs risen. Now you need A/C. The impact of man is undeniable even here in FL. How bad it will get and how long is the real issue and even the data posted by some here extends wayyy into the distance future. It is unlikely it will be fixed as the problem stems from wayyy to many reasons, not just carbon emissions.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:15 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

uh Craig....your acceleration starts in 2006...at the bottom of an La Nina....cold water shrinks
..and ends 3 years ago....2016...at a massive El Nino...warm water expands

everything went back to normal...in the past 3 years.... like it always does...no acceleration

you can pick any La Nina/El Nino cycle and show acceleration...and pick the opposite and show deceleration
...you would think honest climate scientists would know that

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

You could cherry pick 2009 to 2019...another 10 year period.....and show sea levels falling faster than they said it was increasing......LOL

Last edited by Corrie22; 02-23-2019 at 06:43 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 08:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
uh Craig....your acceleration starts in 2006...at the bottom of an La Nina....cold water shrinks
..and ends 3 years ago....2016...at a massive El Nino...warm water expands

everything went back to normal...in the past 3 years.... like it always does...no acceleration

you can pick any La Nina/El Nino cycle and show acceleration...and pick the opposite and show deceleration
...you would think honest climate scientists would know that

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

You could cherry pick 2009 to 2019...another 10 year period.....and show sea levels falling faster than they said it was increasing......LOL
That's why they invented the word I used - IF.

In any case, it's gone many inches and will go up many more.

Call me a fool, but I believe the combo of three major science orgs (including NOAA) more than your "explanation". Facts have a way of being...factual.

Is South Florida Doomed By Sea-Level Rise? Experts Say No. In Fact, They're Optimistic | WLRN

That shows between 31 and 81 inches by 2100. That's a lot by any measure....

"Scientists say the last time the planet was this warm -- in the interglacial period about 120,000 years ago -- seas were 20 to 30 feet higher than they are now. That means humans have likely guaranteed ourselves several feet of sea-level rise in the decades and centuries ahead, regardless of any preventative action we take now."

I think we all agree they are rising....and that possibilities exist of them rising either similar to now...or much greater.

The points remain the same. Even the Army guess of 26 inches by 2060 is massive - but will not hurt areas at 20 feet high (even with the biggest storm surges in history).

The big problems come later on...and also by other means such as red tide (warming gulf) and other systems that we have no idea are in play. Certainly you know that weather prediction is perhaps the most computational intense science. Now add in all these variables....and we are all guessing.

But NONE of the guesses involve "nothing at all happening". That's a key point.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:21 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
I don't care how much it will rise. I live right on the gulf and don't have any Ins on my house.

Nothing can be done to stop what is to come. I can beam every person and car off this planet janet and it won't change what is to come. Only two ways to stop it, move our planet another 3.56 millions away from the sun or change the suns output.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:44 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
LOL.....so you still believe the same people that put up a fake graph...and left it there

Old 02-24-2019, 06:28 AM

Did you know Earth is actually gaining land mass? More land, less water. We are gaining coast land!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/08/...ea-level-rise/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida