Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 07:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I thought compassion was admirable? Where's the compassion in denying vulnerable souls the vaccine?

The nature of Republican messaging through this has been 'personal responsibility' which inherently pits people against each other for scarce resources. I'm actually described as a nice person but I refuse to be a doormat when it comes to a disease that can cause permanent disability for someone my age, even if death is unlikely. Especially in an area lucky to get the daily positivity rate below 20% and no mask requirement because of 'personal responsibility' and that restaurants and bars are allowed to keep being superspreader events at 100% indoor capacity.

The republicans created the system, and I hold them responsible for the lack of compassion in it.

Last edited by beachmouse; 02-01-2021 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 09:24 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
No matter what the OP claims, Florida remains the #1 state most Americans want to move to!

Why should Florida discriminate against our fellow Americans? I thought discrimination was bad I thought we were the UNITED States of America

Why should Florida ignore science? ALL 65+'er are more vunerable, viruses dont care what state you are from. Not giving visitors the vaccine would be ignoring science for the sake of discriminating.

Where's the compassion in turning away vulnerable seniors? I thought compasson was a enviable trait

Are we science following, compassionte, citizens of the United States of America, just when it benefits a few? Isn't that only caring about yourselves?

There's a reason Florida is the #1 State Americans ant to move to...wise decisions by compassionate leaders is just one of them.

It's a shame that the incompassionate, science ignoring, angry, & hating Libs, bullied our great Governor into changing course, lowering himself to their level of hypocrisy.
He seems to be standing up to the bullies very well. Have to admire him for that.

Much as I kvetch about the onslaught of snowbirds every winter, and their effects on our infrastructure and services, the reality is that they have skin in the Florida game by virtue of being property owners, long term renters, and especially as many are also US citizens, should be entitled to receive vaccines regardless of where they get them in the US. I thought DeSantis and the FL DOH came up with a reasonable solution to the "vaccine tourism" issues with the ID and proof of residency requirements for those otherwise eligible for the vaccine.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:41 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Interesting that you just created this ID today and just happen to tell Poseidon how you appreciate his posts. How convenient!
I did not create my ID today and I find Poseidon's posts to be close to worthless. DeSantis has done a phenomenal job, far superior to any other governor.

Signed, a Florida resident

Old 02-05-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I did not create my ID today and I find Poseidon's posts to be close to worthless. DeSantis has done a phenomenal job, far superior to any other governor.

Signed, a Florida resident

Amen!!!

Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
My elderly father, in a Florida nursing home and long time Florida resident, got his first shot in early January and his second shot last week! Most states I think are still struggling to get even the first shot available for the elderly.

I don't live in Florida myself but hats off to Ron Desantis for his management of vaccine distribution!

Old 02-16-2021, 12:44 PM

237 posts, read 283,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The nature of Republican messaging through this has been 'personal responsibility' which inherently pits people against each other for scarce resources.
Well dude, that's life. Survival of the fittest or the smartest. This is how things work. This is how nature works.

How have you made it this far in life?

Old 02-16-2021, 05:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Well dude, that's life. Survival of the fittest or the smartest. This is how things work. This is how nature works.

How have you made it this far in life?
Picking my parents carefully, which is by far the easiest way of getting ahead in American life.

But really, collaborative efforts to a common goal get you a lot further as a society than turning it into Little Somalia. You find good people for your circle and work with them to stand against the stupidity and malice.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:32 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
I am not Team DeSantis, but the idea that he alone is managing everything that is going on, which would be called "micromanaging" if this was a situation involving a manager, supervisor, or boss in our own workplaces, is kind of an unrealistic expectation. I know the governor/president's name could also mean their administration, but still. There's always going to be instances of things going as planned and things not going as planned, like 70 year olds who are getting vaccinated without trouble, 70 year olds who are struggling to make appointments, and ineligible people who are slipping through the cracks.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Dear GOP:

In search of a fresh face and strong leadership abilities? Turn your attention to Florida and it’s governor, Ron DeSantis.

Signed,

A Florida independent voter (& happy resident)

Old 02-17-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I am not Team DeSantis, but the idea that he alone is managing everything that is going on, which would be called "micromanaging" if this was a situation involving a manager, supervisor, or boss in our own workplaces, is kind of an unrealistic expectation. I know the governor/president's name could also mean their administration, but still. There's always going to be instances of things going as planned and things not going as planned, like 70 year olds who are getting vaccinated without trouble, 70 year olds who are struggling to make appointments, and ineligible people who are slipping through the cracks.
Yeah, I think it's called "life". And of course DeSantis is not solely responsible for making the vaccination program, response to the "covid pandemic", or any other issue work as well, or not so well, as the case may be. Lots of other players in the game have their own parts in the processes. And not every problem can be anticipated, and prevented, but we do our best to catch problems as they arise and do what we can to fix, or at least mitigate the problems.

It's counterproductive just to sit back as a Monday morning quarterback, criticize and lay blame. ( not saying you do this, it's a general comment, and there are plenty who do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida