Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 06:43 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,776 times

Advertisements

I am absolutely appalled that there is no residency requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations. That means a 65 year old snowbird who is only here for one month can get vaccinated before a 59 year old teacher. Snowbirds and retirees have the luxury of curtailing their activities and exposure. Teachers and other essential workers do not. The vaccine is scarce enough without adding out of state snowbirds to the queue.

I guess DeSantis is more interested in keeping the snowbirds in restaurants and out spending money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 06:48 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
Florida's vaccine policy is a complete fiasco. After health care workers, the next tier is everyone 65 and over. Here in the great state of Florida, that means nearly everyone! Who thought this up? We are already seeing congestion, long lines, websites crashing because of everyone over 65 trying to get an appointment with their county website. It's awful.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:04 PM

453 posts, read 302,345 times
You're right. 70 yo Snowbirds in my HOA are just waiting to POUNCE on a vaccine in fact, came here early to get it.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:07 PM

453 posts, read 302,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Florida's vaccine policy is a complete fiasco. After health care workers, the next tier is everyone 65 and over. Here in the great state of Florida, that means nearly everyone! Who thought this up? We are already seeing congestion, long lines, websites crashing because of everyone over 65 trying to get an appointment with their county website. It's awful.
No, residents over 65 years old = approx 21%.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:07 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,204,054 times
They are announcing "first come, first serve" and seniors are camping out the night before and sleeping in the streets in line waiting for 12 to 18 hours.

That's insane and dangerous to have frail elderly camped out for the vaccine. The vaccine only gives partial immunity starting about 2 weeks after the first dose and then full immunity is 2 weeks after the 2nd dose. So there's 5 weeks where you are at risk of infection.

A lot of these seniors are more at risk waiting in line catching the rona from others in line than staying at home and self isolating. They need to change this. If demand is too high for limited slots, then do a lottery.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:26 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
I am 70, almost 71 and I am not about to go get in a line anywhere in the State for the vaccine, I have waited almost at year, I can wait some more.

Do I wanna get it ? Of Course YES. But I can surely wait and let people out there duck it out for now !!! I keep being cautious, wearing a mask and all those things, time will come for my turn.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:37 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,753,784 times
If people can hold out, maybe the best route will be to get it through the pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, Publix, etc.).

Old 12-31-2020, 02:43 PM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
1) DeSantis is listening to his scientists...I thought science was all important?

2) No matter what he does, some group will become irrate, & call him names...if not you, someone else...sticks 'n stones.

3) 65+'er are most likely to die from it, no matter where their legal residence is.

4) Do any states limit the vaccine to local residents? Maybe there was a nationwide agreement/policy.

5) DeSantis's C-19 results so far have beaten the U.S. average, even though FLA has the 2nd most vulnerable population.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:54 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
”DeSantis detailed the state’s vaccine distribution plan during a press conference in Delray Beach, Florida, on Wednesday, emphasizing the importance of prioritizing seniors.

“There was a recommendation from the CDC that you [vaccinate] so-called essential workers. What’s essential?” the governor asked, questioning the CDC’s definition of “essential” workers.

“There’s a lot of people who work really hard that the CDC doesn’t consider essential, but their family considers them essential. I consider them essential,” he said, noting that the recommendation could “be putting young people ahead of our elderly population.”

“If you have somebody that works for a grocery store or food services that may be 22, they would have priority over someone who is 73,” DeSantis noted.

The Republican governor and Trump ally added that he will personally not jump ahead of seniors and receive the vaccine, as he is not in a vulnerable group.

“I’m willing to take it, but I am not the priority. They’re the priority,” he said. “I’m under 45, and so the people under 45 are not going to be first in line for this.”

“And so when it’s my turn, I will take it but this is who I want to be vaccinated,” he explained, adding that he wants “my parents, our grandparents to be able to get it.”

“Granted, I’m an elected official but whoop de doo. Let’s focus on where the risk is,” he added:”

https://twitter.com/ShowcaseWishes/s...07740374659072

Old 12-31-2020, 03:01 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,753,784 times
I haven't paid much attention to this, but like I said in the "Does DeSantis Wants Us to Die?" thread, this appears to be a problem all over the country as opposed to a Florida-specific issue. Granted, states could still have their own issues that could be worse or better than others.

This rollout happening during the holidays doesn't help either.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...tu-story.html?

This is still a matter of whether the feds or the states should be in charge, which has been the overarching argument since March. Then within some states, counties and cities are told to do things on their own, except of course when a county/city wants to do something that the state doesn't like (wink-wink Florida).

I think things will sort themselves out when we are out of the holiday slump and everyone is in the full swing of things again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida