Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 12:03 PM

396 posts, read 418,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Is it crazier to think that some of the more in-your-face, Desantis walks on water posters are actually on his payroll in some way or that no one in his organization posts on C-D? It would be foolish of a politician to ignore a free, high-trafficked medium like this. The recent flood of praising threads has me suspicious.
Noooo.....we actually like the guy. He's done much for ALL Floridians, red & blue alike.

There is a reason he's been called "America's Governor".

Old 04-26-2021, 12:13 PM

283 posts, read 290,166 times
My opinion: It hasn't been flawless/perfect, but Desantis has done a decent job of managing this virus for Florida, about as well as anyone could have done given the dynamic nature of COVID and size of the state.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
My opinion: It hasn't been flawless/perfect, but Desantis has done a decent job of managing this virus for Florida, about as well as anyone could have done given the dynamic nature of COVID and size of the state.
Cuomo.

I'd disagree with your statement.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,865,796 times
Could be even lower if there were mandates in place. Australia and Singapore managed it.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:10 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Could be even lower if there were mandates in place. Australia and Singapore managed it.
I lived in Australia and have a lot of friends there. They are super chill about it. For the most part they have been living pretty normal lives (Gold Coast, QLD). Being an island, they were easily able to close the border, I believe they played the largest role in lower numbers.

The US got most cases from Europe if I’m not mistaken.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
As mentioned above, Aus is an island nation, so borders were easy to close. Singapore is an island as well, albeit an authoritarian one.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:31 AM

25,747 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Our Governor did a nice job, & was flexible enough to correct some early mistakes, but we must also give credit to our 50+ population for being smart about the precautions.

Our healthcare workers too deserve a lot of credit. They came through for us in a big way.

It was a total team effort, and Florida is beating out 27 other states who have younger populations, so our team is better than most others....especially New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Mass, Rhode Island, Illinois, and Michigan, who failed to follow the science for a myriad of reasons.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

.......so our team is better than most others....especially New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Mass, Rhode Island, Illinois, and Michigan, who failed to follow the science for a myriad of reasons.
States whose blue population kept bleating "follow the science", but these "highly educated" types couldn't see they were being manipulated by the feds under the guise of science.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:01 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The foreign college kids that prop up Destin most summers by being willing to work for $10/hour still can't get back into the country for any reason, much less get their short term work visas. In normal times, half the lifeguards at the water park are Brazilian nationals, the Destin Publix bagger is Romanian, the restaurant waitress is a Czech college student spending the summer working on her English because it helps her get a better job after graduation....

And the high school kids form more affluent families down here have never been much for part time jobs. Retail also pays better these days- lots of folks find working at Whole Foods/Target/Publix less stressful than restaurant work.
--- Good points! - Although I believe most of these students are coming in on a J1 visa. While low-cost, shared housing is sometimes provided, I wonder if they are actually being paid less by the businesses ... or if a significant amount is being deducted from their paycheck for housing by their sponsor.

Another response to the demand for service workers is the construction of many new apartment complexes in the area.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:07 AM

166 posts, read 133,964 times
I wouldn't have much faith in reporting from the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida