Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 04:22 AM

25,776 posts, read 12,840,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You still thankful for that common sense -- from 23rd to second in a matter of weeks -- per capita cases...death rate climibing -- great job.
Florida has an older population than every other state, except Maine, which makes it more vulnerable to covid.

Also, Florida has more visitors to the state than any other, so covid is brought into the state by visitors.

Lastly, Florida has illegal immigrants dropped off in busses from the border who have never been tested, & some are known to have covid.

Florida is seeing spike right now, but still has a lower death rate per capita than 11 other younger states.

Florida is above average in percent of vaccinated residents, ranking 22nd out of 50, with 53% vaccinated:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html

It seems to me that many up North want Florida's seniors to die off from covid in droves, due to Florida's Conservative politics, which I find sickening.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:59 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
So reviewing these little threads.

Florida was 23 per capita in April -- it's number 2 now.

Boy oh boy -- something went wrong.
Yes, political marketeers at CDC issued ill-advised, ill-timed, confusing and divisive changes in guidance in May, smack in the middle of a half-baked mitigative shots campaign with the delta variant clearly on its way, eight thousand miles and eight weeks advance warning with alarms blaring and red lights glaring. Only an idiot or a devious SOB could have missed it or ignored it.

In the face of this oncoming train wreck, the political marketeers at CDC and the like (including policymakers at the state level, no concrete difference among them, they all swap fluids from every angle of every orifice in the same set of beds, some lying down, some standing) signaled green light, and tourists and partygoers flocked en masse to Florida's hotspots, especially in central Florida.

Easily predictable, and even intentional.

Now that summer vacation is over and young people have headed back to school, case and hospitalization numbers in Florida have started to taper off, and it will be someone else's turn to win the prize come fall/winter, most likely several northern states.

We have seen this film before.

This year's version of it will come out in theaters near you just in time for a half-baked booster shots campaign for everyone, willy-nilly.

Each one manages one's own risk accordingly.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 09-11-2021 at 05:15 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 01:00 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
I can’t look up who was for or against masks, so no regulars here should take it personally. But if you’ve thought mask wearing was hogwash this entire time, then criticizing the CDC’s decision in May about no masks for vaccinated people is disingenuous.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida has an older population than every other state, except Maine, which makes it more vulnerable to covid.

Also, Florida has more visitors to the state than any other, so covid is brought into the state by visitors.

Lastly, Florida has illegal immigrants dropped off in busses from the border who have never been tested, & some are known to have covid.

Florida is seeing spike right now, but still has a lower death rate per capita than 11 other younger states.

Florida is above average in percent of vaccinated residents, ranking 22nd out of 50, with 53% vaccinated:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html

It seems to me that many up North want Florida's seniors to die off from covid in droves, due to Florida's Conservative politics, which I find sickening.
Nobody wants anybody to die.

THat's silly -- pointing out Florida's failing ability to cope with the Delat surge is not wishing ill on Floridians -- it's expressing concern for policies that once were celebrated and now costing so many lives.

Children are topping the infection rate in Florida.Nearly one out of every three infections was suffered by those age 19 and under.

Florida's vaccination rate is 54%. I always wondered though. January February March are prime snow bird months for Florida. How many northerners and CAnadians are included as 'Florida jabs' and yet they have moved back to their homes.

Are full time residents of Florida 54% vaccinated....or 50. We don't know.

Florida was in the 25th ranking deaths per capita in May -- and has moved up to 9. (they are at 11 today because Florida doesn't report deaths every day. When they finally get to posting after a few days it will bump them up to their previous level. That indicates a failure to mitigate the spread.

And BULL to your illegals being dropped off. THere is nothing to indicate anywhere of a surge in illegals in a community.

You sure are coming up with excuses and not acknowledging in the presence of the biggest spike of COVID yet, DeSantis refuses to do anything.

Hospitals are being burdened. I know of a gentleman who was a non COVID patient. He had a mild infection and was admitted in May. He was moved around to various facilities, sent home, etc. because there was a significant lack of resources to manage his health issue. He languished in hallways and finally his infection became so bad he died. His family was outraged. They were helpless to get him the medical attention he needed.

Nobody wants anybody to die.

But touting DeSantis' COVID policies in light of what is happening how is disgusting.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:57 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
So reviewing these little threads.

Florida was 23 per capita in April -- it's number 2 now.

Boy oh boy -- something went wrong.
First, I think the state-by-state stuff is why we are doing so poorly as a country, and I've never really been a fan of it. We don't have closed borders between states.

Nevertheless, with all of the information we have at our disposal from say Jan 2021 to today as opposed to March-May 2020, our numbers from Jan 2021 to today should be better than they are. We still look "better" overall because the nation's biggest and most dense areas got hit during the initial wave.

I just saw a report that said while we were trying to stop people from China coming here, people with the virus were freely traveling here from Europe. Like all of the 20 year 9/11 reflection articles out there, it'll be interesting to see how history plays out 10-15 years from now.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I can’t look up who was for or against masks, so no regulars here should take it personally. But if you’ve thought mask wearing was hogwash this entire time, then criticizing the CDC’s decision in May about no masks for vaccinated people is disingenuous.
I doubled my supply of made in USA N95 masks smack in the middle of May when things seemed quiet because I was flabbergasted by the CDC's irresponsible change in guidance and wondered what they would throw at us next.

I was only surprised that it came so soon, I was expecting more in the fall/winter months.

If you don't believe me, I can produce receipts.

Anyway, it's encouraging that Florida's numbers continue to taper off.

I wish you all well.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I doubled my supply of made in USA N95 masks smack in the middle of May when things seemed quiet because I was flabbergasted by the CDC's irresponsible change in guidance and wondered what they would throw at us next.

I was only surprised that it came so soon, I was expecting more in the fall/winter months.

If you don't believe me, I can produce receipts.

Anyway, it's encouraging that Florida's numbers continue to taper off.

I wish you all well.
Where did you buy the N95 masks, who was the manufacturer, and what was the model number? If you could provide a link, it would be appreciated! TIA!

Old 09-13-2021, 04:30 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,701,592 times
BTW, We maybe FULLY OPEN FLORIDA but we are all wearing Masks in places with high amount of humans around..I can experience it daily and of all places in Miami...People have lost friends and family that NEVER vaccinated, and they are being VERY carefully FINALLY !!!

I cannot trust that Joe and Jill next to me without Masks are vaccinated, so NO CHANCes taken . . . . .

Old 09-13-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Where did you buy the N95 masks, who was the manufacturer, and what was the model number? If you could provide a link, it would be appreciated! TIA!
Hello.

https://wellbefore.com/collections/niosh-n95

You can find several here, some by well-known US companies, more selection now than a few weeks or months ago.

Just be sure to read the entire description, in some cases the manufacture is outside the US, it can be misleading so be careful.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Hello.

https://wellbefore.com/collections/niosh-n95

You can find several here, some by well-known US companies, more selection now than a few weeks or months ago.

Just be sure to read the entire description, in some cases the manufacture is outside the US, it can be misleading so be careful.
Thanks very much for the link.

I see Wellbefore offers, but are sold out of 3M "Aura" N95 9205+ respirators. I've purchased a supply of 9205P - DC - 10 Aura respirators from Home Depot. They aren't the most stylish masks, but functionally they are great, with a chin cup and especially a nose band with a lining that blocks circulation around the nose and eyes -- glasses do NOT fog up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Aura-...0-DC/316909322

My concern is that these N-95 masks aren't specifically designed as medical devices, even though product descriptions that I looked up says that they do block viruses and bacteria. Wellbefore lists the same research that I uncovered:

<<
Cynthia M. asked: In reply to Sarah T's question of 09/03/2021, under Recommended Application, 3M does list "Airborne Biological Particles" and "Emergency & Pandemic Preparedness" [https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v101146024/]
WellBefore answered: Thanks a lot for your clarification, Cynthia! We are trying to stay up to date as much as we can with all cases, and to complement your reply, due to the pandemic, many NIOSH certified respirators were suggested as medical use according to the FDA.

9/3/2021
S
Sarah T. asked: Hi there, do the 9205+ masks protect from airborne germs, specifically COVID? On the 3M site, it does not list "health care" among its uses. thank you
WellBefore answered: Although the SarS COVID-19 is a virus and not a germ, these masks are made with the regular standards to filter out 0.3 micron as any other N95 or KN95 mask. However, please note there are no specific mask made to "fight against the virus" but to have an extra protection against it, reason for which, the most suggested extra barrier for this pandemic was to wear filtration masks N95 or KN95 models, or similar. Regarding the Most recommended industries, but not limited, according to the 3M site are Construction, General Manufacturing, Industrial Maintenance, Mining, Oil & Gas, Transportation.>>

https://wellbefore.com/collections/n...espirator-mask

Wellbefore lists the same NIOSH approval (TC-84A-8590) as is printed on my masks, so I guess Home Depot is offering the same mask. At about $2 when a box of 10 is purchased, the Home Depot masks are much cheaper.

Which masks did you buy? Do you like them, or have any complaints?

I would like to try this "Aura" surgical mask model, also sold out at Wellbefore. Note that it has a different NIOSH approval from the Aura 9205+ masks. I need to do additional research, perhaps contact 3M, to ascertain the differences between the two Aura models. These masks may not be available until after the current surge.

https://wellbefore.com/collections/n...-surgical-mask

I'm going to consider ordering one of the other N95 surgical masks available on the Wellbefore website. Unlike earlier in the pandemic, when I only had a supply of inferior, 10-years-old N-95 construction masks, I feel relatively protected with my 3M Aura masks. Surely, any N95 mask is greatly superior to cloth masks and even non-N95 procedural masks. A key consideration is a tight fit.

I worry about unvaccinated kids going to school with only cloth masks and being exposed to the Delta variant. I feel certain that all schools should mandate a vaccine for children eligible to receive a vaccine, currently those 12 and older. E.g., a COVID vaccine is at least as beneficial as a DTaP vaccine, especially in the current Delta surge.

School Immunization Requirements | Florida Department of Health

Our nation shockingly is ignoring the risks of long COVID sequelae. We may inflicting large numbers of individuals, especially children given the mammoth case rates now among children, with life-long health deficiencies.

<<In January, they reported in a preprint that more than one-third had one or two lingering symptoms four months or more after infection, and a further one-quarter had three or more symptoms. Insomnia, fatigue, muscle pain and persistent cold-like complaints were common — a pattern similar to that seen in adults with long COVID. Even children who’d had mild initial symptoms, or were asymptomatic, were not spared these long-lasting effects, Buonsenso says.>>

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01935-7

<<Hardelid tapped into data gathered by the Virus Watch study, which tracks infections and symptoms in more than 23,000 households across England and Wales. As they reported in a preprint in June, she and her colleagues found that 4.6% of children with evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection had persistent symptoms lasting more than 4 weeks4.

Another UK study, posted as a preprint in May, found a similar rate. Of more than 1,700 schoolchildren who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, 4.4% had symptoms, such as headache, fatigue and loss of smell, that persisted; 1.6% had symptoms that remained for at least 8 weeks5.

It will also be important to determine how long the condition lasts in children, says Armann. Headaches or trouble sleeping for just 6 months is a vastly different problem from having these symptoms all their life, even if it only happens for 1%, he says.>>

Last edited by WRnative; 09-14-2021 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida