Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 10:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
I didn't say or mean to infer this. But there are parts of the state that value faith, family and freedom more than others.
Thanks for clarifying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 10:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I am curious as to why you think all the other parts of the state won't let you practice a religion?

Median income for a teacher is about $55,000. Most start out at least $36,000-$38,000 in a public school.
Just bring some facts into the equation....Over the past year, minimum pay for Florida's teachers increased by an average of $6,000 from $40,000 to $46,000. Overall, 68 of Florida's 74 school districts (92 percent) now have a starting salary of $40,000 or higher.
https://www.fldoe.org/newsroom/lates...%20or%20higher.
https://www.salary.com/research/sala...cher-salary/fl

Old 09-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Just know that Texas and Florida are two of the most problematic states in the country as it relates to Covid.

Go ahead, and good luck with your individual freedoms.
Well, Florida's numbers are dropping rapidly while the rest of the nation is increasing. This is following the same pattern as last year. Expect the same results as the delta variant moves north.

Good news is herd immunity is at hand in Florida, but I digress.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/sfu-res...ept-7/37285963

Old 09-01-2021, 10:38 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well, Florida's numbers are dropping rapidly while the rest of the nation is increasing. This is following the same pattern as last year. Expect the same results as the delta variant moves north.

Good news is herd immunity is at hand in Florida, but I digress.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/sfu-res...ept-7/37285963
I don't see that happening and I am closely following the covid numbers for Florida on a couple of websites.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I don't see that happening and I am closely following the covid numbers for Florida on a couple of websites.
If you like pictures... here you go https://www.google.com/search?q=Flor...w=1536&bih=726

As it related to schools... my county has 3 cases or quarantined students and no faculty out at this time. It will rise and fall some, but the big spike is over. Last week was our highest total was 525 students quarantined or sick and 6 faculty.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If you like pictures... here you go https://www.google.com/search?q=Flor...w=1536&bih=726

As it related to schools... my county has 3 cases or quarantined students and no faculty out at this time. It will rise and fall some, but the big spike is over. Last week was our highest total was 525 students quarantined or sick and 6 faculty.
Ours is down from 784 cases to 502 for this week. I know there were 4 teachers on ventilators and 1 child had to be sent to Orlando and is on a ventilator. My next door neighbor who is a teacher is quarantined this week, too. She is only showing a few of the symptoms and is not really sick with it like our across the street neighbors who missed 2 weeks of work in August. Also one of my best friend's daughters who attends a charter school has not met her teacher for this year yet. She has had subs since school started 8/10. BTW our hospitals are not equipped with ventilators for kids, which I did not know until this week. I wonder how many are in other areas.

https://www.brevardschools.org/cms/l...2008.30.21.pdf

Old 09-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Don't want to get to far off track. Covid is lessening in the states that spiked and will rise in those that have not. That's an established pattern.

Someone is making a life altering decision and has asked for guidance.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:57 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
The facts are that The State of Florida (and the USA) can no longer absorb every runaway. That's unsustainable from numerous points of view. If that offends the sensibilities of some, then they can stick their heads back in the sand and buy a new pair of rose-colored glasses while whistling through the graveyard. I choose to believe the facts and my own eyes.
Odd set of mixed metaphors.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:00 PM

204 posts, read 128,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE2021 View Post
[Yes, another 'moving to Florida' thread!]

Hi everyone,

Back ground:
My wife and I do not like the direction Canada and the provinces are going since covid, We hold strong beliefs of liberty, individual freedom, are devout Christians, and we are largely outnumbered. Texas and Florida are strong prospects for us. We have been talking this over for almost a year now and are ready to make the move. The last time I had been to Florida was about ten years ago. Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Jacksonville were places we had visited. We didn't have children back then

Teaching Prospects:

I believe I have asked important questions- please feel free to let add or suggest anything!

Thank you for taking the time to enter my thread.
There is a shortage of teachers in many areas of FL, but that's not surprising given the state of education right now. You have several options when seeking a teaching position starting with the public school system, as well as charter, private and online (FL Virtual, I think) schools. If you have a Master's degree, you can teach at community colleges and state universities (generally as an adjunct- which I don't recommend due to its instability, but it's an option). I suggest that you and your wife check out the data from the 2020 US Census to examine the demographics of any area you're interested in.

I will say that many people look at Florida and think it's paradise, and it can be if you live in a nice area, have a high income, etc., but I think that sometimes the expectations of newcomers are unrealistic, which oftens leads to disappointment. Having said that, definitely take time to visit FL before making your decision and good luck to you!

Old 09-01-2021, 04:22 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
Please know that there are plenty of US citizens who are already certified state teachers, and we damn sure don't need any more non-US citizens here in The State of Florida competing for jobs to feed their families and contribute to this great nation.

If you're a USA citizen, that's another story. Fine. You can move any where you wish.

Florida is getting over-populated from people(citizens) all over the USA now, esp the northeast and even California. The migration patterns are becoming a real negative concern.

Frankly, the last thing we need here in Florida is more foreign legal or illegal immigration, either from Mexico, Honduras, Haiti, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, Nicaragua, VENEZUELA, Ukraine (yes they're here all over Sarasota County), CHINA, or even Canada.

We, here in FL, just experienced a deluge of legal US citizens from Puerto Rico over the past 2 years. They are re-located now all around Orlando and Tampa. The total of the US citizens from Puerto Rico totaled around 200k.

If you're a Canadian, productive citizen, I would suggest you stay in Canada and work very hard to improve or positively affect daily life and political life in your own wonderful democratic country, an important ally to the great United States of America.
LOL, OP!
Welcome to the little slice of Florida you're going to get (see above). You're better off in Canada, why would u want to give that all up for FL? lol. Like come on, man. Sunshine and palm trees aren't that great when you're surrounded by people like the above quoted. Like, to leave a safe, prosperous country like Canada to come to FL? You gotta be out of your mind! Don't bother. Stay home. Take a vacation here if you need to, but move? No way, Jose.
Not to mention teaching in FL is abysmal. Low pay, over-crowded classrooms, little resources. An exercise in bureaucracy and frustration .... I actually think your idea is so naïve it almost cute...like awww, little guy doesn't know how good he has it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida