Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 01:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
We have a metal roof....but it doesn't effect our cell at all....I have no idea why, but it might have something to do with how close, or far, you are from their tower....dunno...just guessing

One of things with metal roofs...is the screws....over the years the ”fins” on the screws corrode/dissolve....and you're left with nails that pull out.....screws need to be replaced about every 8-10 years....or at least have a roofer go up...pull and few and check

...we had our screws replaced ~3 years ago
The screw issue was one of the reasons why we went with shingle when we replaced our roof in 2018. It was like ‘we’re going to have to pay how much more and do regular maintenance on top of that?’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
She went on, saying that in looking for a new fridge, she recommended avoiding the Samsungs and LG models, while their electronics were good, she said, their mechanical parts, icemakers and compressors were terrible. She recommended sticking with GE or Whirlpool. We ended up replacing that GE with a Whirlpool.
My parents had an LG fridge for a time. That had some issues in the first year of ownership that were supposed to be covered under warranty and when Mom contacted LG for warranty service, it was met with a shrug and a ‘we don’t have repair techs that work in your county’. Said county has 600K residents so it’s not like they live in a place where there’s no appliance repair service available. Mom contacted the Michigan AG/consumer affairs department or whoever it is up there that handles such complaints and suddenly and mysteriously LG was able to find a tech to do a warranty service call in Kent County.

Neither my parents nor I were impressed by that. They now have a GE, which has been a rock solid performer making rock solid ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 01:47 PM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The screw issue was one of the reasons why we went with shingle when we replaced our roof in 2018. It was like ‘we’re going to have to pay how much more and do regular maintenance on top of that?’.

My parents had an LG fridge for a time. That had some issues in the first year of ownership that were supposed to be covered under warranty and when Mom contacted LG for warranty service, it was met with a shrug and a ‘we don’t have repair techs that work in your county’. Said county has 600K residents so it’s not like they live in a place where there’s no appliance repair service available. Mom contacted the Michigan AG/consumer affairs department or whoever it is up there that handles such complaints and suddenly and mysteriously LG was able to find a tech to do a warranty service call in Kent County.

Neither my parents nor I were impressed by that. They now have a GE, which has been a rock solid performer making rock solid ice.
yep on the roof maintenance....but the main difference is a metal roof can last a lifetime...we don't plan on ever moving...so it's worth it to us

we did all new screws....replaced any metal starting to rust...and all new boots

Old 04-26-2023, 09:02 AM

92 posts, read 75,529 times
Quote:
yep on the roof maintenance....but the main difference is a metal roof can last a lifetime...we don't plan on ever moving...so it's worth it to us

we did all new screws....replaced any metal starting to rust...and all new boots
So how does insurance view a metal roof? Does it make it get a better rate and/or less risk of non renewal? Are they also dinging homeowners with a 12 year old metal off?

Could be something to consider as long term payback as a way to mitigate the insurance issues.

Should metal roofs be part of FL building codes for new construction? I’m going to need more research on best ROI.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:36 AM

9,281 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Would a metal roof make a Florida house hotter? I know they are very popular in Canada since they help the sun to melt snow. Just wondering....

Old 04-26-2023, 10:06 AM

327 posts, read 222,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Just like NY and CA i guess..........
Outside of the New York City metropolitan area and wealthy enclaves in the Hudson River Valley, most of New York State is a rather practical place to live for middle-class people. There are many small cities and towns in New York State where a middle-class family can live quite comfortably due to high salaries/wages and low real estate prices. Outside of their respective metropolitan areas, California and Florida have significantly more abject poverty than New York. Some of the small towns in inland Florida look war-torn because they probably never had much industry to begin with.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Some of the small towns in inland Florida look war-torn because they probably never had much industry to begin with.
not really....

when those towns were built...they were built because there was an industry there..

lumber, citrus, farming, cotton, peanuts, etc......and those industries were phased out

Old 04-26-2023, 01:02 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerad View Post
So how does insurance view a metal roof? Does it make it get a better rate and/or less risk of non renewal? Are they also dinging homeowners with a 12 year old metal off?

Could be something to consider as long term payback as a way to mitigate the insurance issues.

Should metal roofs be part of FL building codes for new construction? I’m going to need more research on best ROI.
My relative. Who lives in central Florida told me metal roofs have to be replaced in 15 years. Same as asphalt shingles

Old 04-26-2023, 01:39 PM

State Farm Insurance > Metal roofs can last 40-70 years

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...-pros-and-cons

Old 04-26-2023, 02:01 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times
Quote:
not really....

when those towns were built...they were built because there was an industry there..

lumber, citrus, farming, cotton, peanuts, etc......and those industries were phased out
LOL

Have you been to Marianna, Perry, Quincy, Palatka, Live Oak, Fort White?????????

Whatever industry there might have been never led to any wealth in most of Fla

Old 04-26-2023, 02:31 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
We bought a Samsung fridge in 2020. In a year the handle to the freezer keeps falling off and the plastic shelves are cracking.

When we moved back to FL in 2015 the House we looked at in Deep Creek was built like in 1980. Was an old ladies house. It still had the same dish washer and ice box from the early 80s.

I work part time a couple nights a week at publix. Our newer coolers have glued on handles and hinges. Within two months the handles and hinges were breaking and can't withstand customer use!

If you go into an older grocery store notice the coolers have welded on handles and our rock solid. Our old coolers at Publix had welded on handles and thicker and more durable.

Same way with cars now. Notice after a couple years all that plastic begins to rattle.
Samsung appliances are a nightmare. It’s hard to find someone who will fix them and it is very expensive to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida