Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM

66 posts, read 97,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
What else would I need?

You always seem to be looking for an argument. What is the point....
I can say anything Id like, doesnt make it true....this forum is to help people making rash decisions about moving and you just throw out your "facts" without any sources to back it up. That would be like me saying FL is more expensive than 99% of the places I have ever traveled to. Yea based on my experience its true but doesnt help any but the poster increase their post count and tout of at the mouth from behind a keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
that's why "our own personal experience" is the reality of this thread. True for some, not true for others. Just depends. You can't make a sweeping generalization about an entire state when it's probably your inability to assert yourself to get a job. There are plenty of them.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
that's why "our own personal experience" is the reality of this thread. True for some, not true for others. Just depends. You can't make a sweeping generalization about an entire state when it's probably your inability to assert yourself to get a job. There are plenty of them.
Part-time jobs in the service industry you mean. Otherwise, not so much....

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Well Cost of living is usually determined by the desireblility of the place. I'm surprised it does not cost more to live here, Why do you think the states that most people want to live in cost more? Everything costs more because in these desirable places people are willing to pay more for the same stuff, and usually they have the means to do so. Of course we can not complete with the deserts and the Midwest People do not want to live there. In order to get people to move there, their prices must be low, No one is going to pay the same or stuff in OKC that they do in NYC. It is common sense!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
Rent and housing is the most expensive part of most people's budget. If you move from Alabama then rents are higher here, if you move from the Northeast rents are much cheaper here and there is more choice.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
My comparison..
in NH
Rent-$850(1bed1bath 500sqft give or take)
heat(07-08)$400 a MONTH
Electricity-$175 a month
Car inspection -$40-50 ish
Cable-$150
Just Winter clothes -$500 per person or more
Winter needs ie scraper, salts etc $400+
I didn't factor in spring clothes, fall clothes, mud season things like boots but lets say another $200 per season for windbreakers, muffs, fleece etc
Winter home goods like warmer blankets, throws etc. maybe another $200

Fla
Rent $915 (2bed 2bath 1163 sqft)
Heat-none
Electric- $120 in summer $50-$75 winter
Car inspection-none
Cable $106 for cable and Internet
Winter clothes-none
Winter extras-none
Summer aka year round wardrobe $350 a person give or take cause I have a kid now...

I'm saving what some $1,200-$1,400 in just winter accessories alone. Dont get me started on taxes and such..

and those prices were just for myself and husband. We now have a kid so add more to the wardrobe and accessories like sled and what not and god knows how fast kids grow so more than one set of winter gear per season some years.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My comparison..
in NH
Rent-$850(1bed1bath 500sqft give or take)
heat(07-08)$400 a MONTH
Electricity-$175 a month
Car inspection -$40-50 ish
Cable-$150
Just Winter clothes -$500 per person or more
Winter needs ie scraper, salts etc $400+
I didn't factor in spring clothes, fall clothes, mud season things like boots but lets say another $200 per season for windbreakers, muffs, fleece etc
Winter home goods like warmer blankets, throws etc. maybe another $200

Fla
Rent $915 (2bed 2bath 1163 sqft)
Heat-none
Electric- $120 in summer $50-$75 winter
Car inspection-none
Cable $106 for cable and Internet
Winter clothes-none
Winter extras-none
Summer aka year round wardrobe $350 a person give or take cause I have a kid now...

I'm saving what some $1,200-$1,400 in just winter accessories alone. Dont get me started on taxes and such..

and those prices were just for myself and husband. We now have a kid so add more to the wardrobe and accessories like sled and what not and god knows how fast kids grow so more than one set of winter gear per season some years.
Reading about your expenses in NH brought back awful memories. I forgot about all of those winter-related expenses. I'm so glad I don't live in RI anymore.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
it's all subjective for me cuz I work in restaurants as a server.

however...

my old job in Portland, the guest check average was $14. For a table of 4, that would be $64. So at best, I'd get a $12 tip.

my new job here in Florida, the guest check average is $25. For a table of 4, that would be $100. So I might get a $20 tip.

I worked my tail off for $100 on a long day. It was rare for anyone to make over 100 on a double shift. That's just what I was used to.

Here, I should be able to make 100 in 4 hours. It's all subjective tho, and depends on weather, time of season, many many factors. But the potential is definitely there. I just got into a very nice place.

my trainer the other day made almost 400 on her double shift. That's like $44/hr if you include wages. Again, many factors depend on that.
Wait 'til the snowbirds go home...

Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Wait 'til the snowbirds go home...
nope. Summers are busy. Nice try tho.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
I don't even care about the expense of living in Florida, many people from the Northeast and the West Coast move there and love it because it's a better quality of life for a cheaper cost of living.

However, from the other prospective, I've lived in four states (Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Texas) and Florida is the most expensive state that I've lived in. From simple things like a car registration and license plates, to things like rent, groceries, insurance, ect, ect.

I'll admit, however, that living in Louisiana sucked only because of the State Income Taxes, (FL, TN, and TX don't have them.)

My area of Texas has similar weather, access to beaches, access to golf, water sports, fishing, hunting, ect, ect.. but it does so with a much cheaper cost of living and access to jobs that pay well and have advancement opportunities.

I've said it now, then, and will always say it, If Florida had the types of jobs of the Northeast, West Coast, and even Texas, then I'd be living there now and no complaining about the cost of living in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida