Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I have been a landlord in Pennsylvania for many years. The tenant will pay rent, and I, in turn, will pay the property taxes... this is not unique to my situation, as virtually all landlords nationwide utilize the same procedure. Many Pa. communities assess a 1-1.5% local wage tax (primarily devoted to schools, snow removal, local parks, local police/paramedics/fire departments). There is a 3% state income tax, but no sales tax on clothing, a 6% nor few toll roads.

You are the first individual that I have heard who has complained that his/her insurance rates being more expensive in PA than FL. If an insurance company is quoting you rates in PA that are/were more expensive (4 times!!!), you apparently have misunderstood, or are extremely high risk client who has submitted an unusually high number of claims. Generally, auto insurance rates are 50% cheaper than Florida. HOI is generally 50% to 65% cheaper than Florida. This is due to the higher potential hurricane risks and number of uninsured Florida drivers.

Please post the type of work that you do in Florida.... I would wager that you have found a "golden goose" available to few in the Florida economy!
That's right. My auto ins increased by 20% in FL over my PA rate, even AFTER I increased my deductible to $2000.00. With the same insurance company, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,193 times
Spacecoast Florida is less expensive that the Saint Paul, MN suburb I lived in. My salary increased slightly when I relocated for a promotion, about $9000 less than if I had gone to a similar urban center like the twin cities but I can't complain because the lack of State income tax more than makes up for the increased insurance cost.

Property taxes are the same; groceries are a little higher with beef being substantially higher. Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie meats and the occasional farmers market makes up the difference. My winter heating bill was non-existent summer is proving expensive; I have gone on level-pay for the first time ever to spread the pain. Fuel may be a bit less expensive. Dining out is comparable and drinking is more costly for sure.

All in all it is a net savings for me and my family, I miss the culture of the Twin Cities, music and nightlife, but I enjoy the outdoor recreation and warm climate and bikinis everywhere. Florida wins the comparo until my first hurricane and power outage.

Last edited by Samurai1833; 07-14-2008 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: hypertext

Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,855 times
I think that is the answer more skilled drivers! I have been here 8 months and have been involved in two accidents, one a piece of steel was not tied down to a semi and blew off onto 75 costing me two new tires and new wheels, sure that can happen anywhere but I do not think that people really secure items because the other day I saw tires almost coming off a truck and they were passing a sheriff, I would have thought they would have pulled him over and made it secure it better!? Then the other day some man ran the stop sign when I was in the turning lane right in front of him HELLO! do you see a big SUV in front of you? then he tried to blame me. When i resided in the Northeast I had 1 accident in 18 years of driving! Unfortunatly, hit by an impaired driver.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 AM

9,529 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I think that is the answer more skilled drivers! I have been here 8 months and have been involved in two accidents, one a piece of steel was not tied down to a semi and blew off onto 75 costing me two new tires and new wheels, sure that can happen anywhere but I do not think that people really secure items because the other day I saw tires almost coming off a truck and they were passing a sheriff, I would have thought they would have pulled him over and made it secure it better!? Then the other day some man ran the stop sign when I was in the turning lane right in front of him HELLO! do you see a big SUV in front of you? then he tried to blame me. When i resided in the Northeast I had 1 accident in 18 years of driving! Unfortunatly, hit by an impaired driver.
There is just way to much driving involved with living in Florida. Its just not the daily grind of it, it is the high mileage distances from place to place in ones daily life there. That is why there are so many accidents there and many seem to be head on ,or people that have run red lights or stop signs. Talk about the cost of living in Florida, I would think the cost of gas would eat up ones budget. There doesn't seem to be even one day when a person can just park their car and walk or take a bus to save a buck on gas. No I don't think Florida is cheap any longer, when you combine the gas and everything else involved with living there. It seems to have had its day for low cost living.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There is just way to much driving involved with living in Florida. Its just not the daily grind of it, it is the high mileage distances from place to place in ones daily life there. That is why there are so many accidents there and many seem to be head on ,or people that have run red lights or stop signs. Talk about the cost of living in Florida, I would think the cost of gas would eat up ones budget. There doesn't seem to be even one day when a person can just park their car and walk or take a bus to save a buck on gas. No I don't think Florida is cheap any longer, when you combine the gas and everything else involved with living there. It seems to have had its day for low cost living.
I agree, Florida is completely car reliant. You never here a person from Florida say "I am walking to the store to get a loaf of bread", Floridians drive for everything and everything seems to be a 30 min. drive.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,725 times
Our house that we bought is cheaper than if we found it in other states (would def cost 7 figures somewhere else). No income tax. Husband's income is same here as other states, definitely not less. Many things are less (gas is less here) some are more. If your income is the same it all evens out...it just depends on your career and income really more than it depends on the cost of things.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, Florida is completely car reliant. You never here a person from Florida say "I am walking to the store to get a loaf of bread", Floridians drive for everything and everything seems to be a 30 min. drive.

Totally right. You need to plan your outings like an old lady lol, (or man)....don't forget something....I used to run by foot two blocks to a convenience store at will. Now I drive 15 min or so depending on time of day to go essentially two (long) blocks and crossing a major highway lights, uturns etc. That's almost a half hour for like, milk??

Moving here takes alot of lifestyle planning even on dumb stuff. (but I LOVE the pro U-Turn laws and turning lanes in FL).

Old 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,343 times
Good thing I live in a area where everything is close. 30 mins for milk?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Good thing I live in a area where everything is close. 30 mins for milk?
I know, right? And it's only Vero Beach. But it so happens that I have 2 or three lights because I have to cross the main road (US 60) and they're timed. Similar to Commercial in FLL. It's only for Walgreens or CVS too, Or Target but their lot is jam packed at all times. There's a Publix on my side but you waste 15 minutes walking back to dairy and waiting in line LOL.

It's a minor thing but I tend to do that stuff at night when everyone is home and the lights are blinking yellow. (dead here at night). And I find myself in Walmart more than ever in my life cuz it's a Superstore open 24 hours.

Anyway, there's no convenience stores you can run to on foot.

When I was a kid in Ft Lauderdale, we had "Farm Stores" you could drive through for all staples. We need farm stores now if there are any entrepreneurs out there.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 8,598 times
Curious if anyone could compare my stats. I live in Chicago suburbs, (cook county). I pay 10% sales tax, HUGE income tax, gas is 4.10 a gallon or more (highest in country even over Hawaii). I also deal with horrifying winters, normal suburban homes here are still around 260k for just normal, and my normal taxes are about 7k. (I am a police officer) and we do make best money around here at around 85+OT and benefits. Anyone from floridas thoughts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida