Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM

208 posts, read 612,029 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am coming to Florida in a few days to look for a home and there are a few homes that I would like to see. When I put their addresses in the predator page, I get over 100 offenders within 5 miles, some right down the street from where I am looking. I decided to add different zip codes in the north port area to try and find safer places, well there doesn't seem to be any. Does anyone know of any predator free areas in Florida????
I will not move my family to an area with 110 offenders within 5 miles of my home. The lowest I found was 82 offenders within 5 miles of area code 34287.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Sorry, but no place is wholly free of sex offenders and predators, not even your town. It's like burglaries- you never hear about them unless it's on your block, but they are there.

Weston has 64 thousand people and zero predators, four offenders, which is about as good as you are going to do regardless of state. Also, for the offenders that you do find, check out EXACTLY what their offense is for. Many "sex offenders" got busted for statutory rape when they were in their late teens for having sex with someone under 18, urinating in a tree, etc. Also be sure to distinguish the difference between an offender and a predator. A predator is DEFINITELY dangerous, while an offender MIGHT be dangerous, but could have an offense for something relatively low-risk like I said.

Also, while I wouldn't want to live in an area loaded with sex offenders just as a general indication of what the area is like (probably indicates transience if there are a LOT of them), the most important thing to check is YOUR neighborhood. While you should always be careful when out and about (ANYWHERE), having a sex offender four miles away isn't going to effect the safety of YOUR neighborhood significantly. For example, I have over 30 sex offenders within 5 miles, but virtually all of them are clustered in a mobile home park that is in a different town, across a highway, nearly four miles away. Most of the neighborhoods AROUND the particular roadside mobile home park are safe even in that town (Davie if you are interested, another decent area), although there is an occasional offender.

I just checked out a lot of local zip codes in the Broward area and despite this area being very densely populated, I can't find anything with over 50 offenders until you get closer to the beach. But like I said this area is crowded and also very expensive. You might want to check out parts of north Florida like St. Johns County or Seminole County outside of Orlando unless you have over 300k for a home and don't mind some crowds and diversity.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-18-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Thank you for your reply.
I also checked within 1 mile of the homes I was interested in and one of them had 14 offenders with 2 of them being predators. I guess I will just have to keep looking. In my book even one is too many. I do check in my area where I live now and not a one predator or even offender within 2 miles. Most that are listed by county in Pa's list are in the county prison.
I just won't feel safe knowing a 40 year old male has been arrested living just 2/10 mile from my home for attacking a child under 14. I have children and they are more important to me than anything else. As I am sure most people feel the same, I just am astonished and disgusted by the amount of pervs in North port...

Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
I don't like areas that have lots of offendesr either. I've checked cities around the nation and found them every where. One city had a ratio of about 1 for 80 of the rest of it's citizens. Don't remember the place but is was not FL. Then one day it occurred to me does it mean that a low count is of an area that it's just not enforced. One city reviewed here on CD had complaints against it for looking the other way like it's no big deal. That to was not in FL. I was shocked when I saw the list in my city. There's never been an incident with any of them. I think we have nothing but offenders and no predators. Not sure but having there names and mug shots on the sheriff's website seems to keep them at bay once the get out of the state's hilton.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
Ok, I am coming to Florida in a few days to look for a home and there are a few homes that I would like to see. When I put their addresses in the predator page, I get over 100 offenders within 5 miles, some right down the street from where I am looking. I decided to add different zip codes in the north port area to try and find safer places, well there doesn't seem to be any. Does anyone know of any predator free areas in Florida????
I will not move my family to an area with 110 offenders within 5 miles of my home. The lowest I found was 82 offenders within 5 miles of area code 34287.
Oh man, this is right up my alley, I've been balancing the offender site with my real estate needs for 6 months. 82 is High but it depends on the population. But for ME, too high regardless.

First of all, go on citydata and put the town in. Then scroll down to the amount of offenders. Then right under it, it tells you for example, 1 offender to 148 residents. The density of the area determines it. Then it tells you compared to the state average.

THERE ARE SAFER AREAS. I put my mom's address in and there were only 18 in 5 miles. In Tequesta in Martin County. According to City data there are ZERO. The population of Tequesta is AVERAGE versus LOW in Vero where I live, that means it's safer in regards to this topic. (and it is, anyway). We have alot of renters and transients here too, Tequesta does not.

I live in Vero we have the above 1 to 148 number. It's a bit high, denser cities like WPB are lower. Probably because fewer register in WPB they try and get away with it. I'm just guessing. I would first find out the law about how close to a school etc they are allowed to live in the county. It's different per county. Pt St Lucie is changing that now in fact.

Vero In Indian River, is a beautiful peaceful town. However in googling to read the police blotter one came up for 2006, I found one who was a serial offender against kids a mere two years ago and he's not in jail.

Anyway, I've noticed that you cannot be offender FREE but you CAN see trends in neighborhoods. And sorry, these clowns are not typically the young guy who got misled but old bast&^ds. I like walking and even though I have no kids I am not getting grossed out daily. AND I frequently walk four miles so do the math lol. Our beach has ZERO though, it's six miles from me. One good thing is to move to a gated community who is strict.

I have personally met TWO offenders in a two week time after moving here and you can read about it under my id, click on all posts and theres an active one now about moving to Vero and Sebastian where people though I was lying about the goof at Home Depot.

I would be very cautions with kids. And NO, in my old area by my office where I lived briefly, outside of Philly there were 2 in 5 miles and that 5 miles included a crappy area.

If you are finding them 2/10 of a mile from you, I'd be careful too. In the under a mile search, I have four very close by....two around 40 years old (including the one I met) on the same street two blocks to the left and another two one block next to this HOA gated comm. where I live and those two are OLD like 75 yrs old but in MY OPINION, if you show poor judgement in life you're not to be trusted to not show it again later. Both these guys offended in 1995 so they were old then, too lol. That means I met 25% of them LOL.

In two miles there are 14.
In three miles, NOW it starts getting dicey with 42 that's because it goes to Gifford the slum area.And that's where the jail is too.
In four miles, 73
In five miles, 82

Your total is slightly higher but my town is higher to begin with so yours is worse, so to speak. BUT see if a jail is included which is in the pool. the purple multiple sign.

You might notice they tend to also be in multiples in neighborhoods. I know all the neighborhoods for here, now by that map LOL...that's not to mean that a new one wont move in.

They must be x amount of feet from a school. A dual edged sword because that only keeps the registered ones away not the up and coming ones.

Keep looking for a safer town or community within the town. The zip you posted has ZERO. Warm Mineral Springs Fl. On city data's page.

You have to move to where you will be working that's the first priority THEN the house search. Unless you don't have to work then we can tell you more towns.

If you want south east FL go see Tequesta it's north of Jupiter.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Oh man, this is right up my alley, I've been balancing the offender site with my real estate needs for 6 months. 82 is High but it depends on the population. But for ME, too high regardless.

First of all, go on citydata and put the town in. Then scroll down to the amount of offenders. Then right under it, it tells you for example, 1 offender to 148 residents. The density of the area determines it. Then it tells you compared to the state average.

THERE ARE SAFER AREAS. .
I can't find where you are telling me to go to. LOL!!! I have been just putting in the street and zip code of where I am looking into the Florida sexual predator list. It actually will map out where each person is located in a map, so I can visualize where they are.

I really didn't want to move to Florida to look over my shoulders all the time. I have read all the files on every person in all the areas I am (was) looking and they are mainly old white men. Just sick.

We are not set in any one area. We do like south Florida for the weather. I just want to find somewhere safe. So far the best I found is, 11 offenders with 0 predators, within 2 miles. This is very discouraging. I am flying to Florida in 5 days to pick out a home and area to live in... I don't even know where to start now.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:56 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Here are some stats for Florida cities:

I compared over 500 neighborhoods in Florida using City Data population estimates and the FDLE website comparing how many predators per person population. I posted many of the cities on a previous post on City Data. The information is right there for you to pull up. Let's look at Sarasota, which is a pretty expensive place in Florida to live compared to many other cities.

Let's use Hillview St in Sarasota-many very wealthy people live on or around this street-22 sexual predators live within a one mile radius.

Moving on to Countryplace Blvd, an average Sarasota neighborhood- running in the middle of Beneva, Proctor, Clark and McIntosh-10 sexual predators within a mile.

OK take Wood St-which has some good areas and some that aren't as good-71 sexual predators in a one mile radius.

Arch Dr in Sarasota-Sarasota Springs-11 sexual predators per square mile.

Brookhaven Dr where many Amish people live-pleasant neighborhood-in Sarasota, around Fruitville & Tuttle-15 sexual predators per square mile.

Run a few streets for yourself and see what you come up with. If they are not in neighborhoods like-Hi Hat Ranch, The Founders Club, etc.-multi-millon dollar meighborhoods. Almost guaranteed there will be more sexual predators per square mile than most anywhere in North Port.

I just picked a few cities at random from all over the state of Florida-none had a LOWER sexual offender rate per person than North Port. I won't dispute that the state of Florida as a whole has a higher sexual offender per person ratio than many other states. What you need to look into is each individual city and how many live in each city.

Another fact that many people don't know is that North Port is the second largest city in land area in the state of Florida. Not all of it is fully developed but it is a very large city.

Source: Population-City-Data
Sexual Offender count-Florida Department of Law Enforcement

North Port-Population 50,523-78 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 648 people.

Ellenton-7 sexual offenders-I found that the population is roughly 3142-sexual predators are one in every 449.

Key West-Population 23,262-66 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 353 people.

Bradenton-Population 53,662-174 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 308 people.

Ft Myers-Population 60,531-217 sexual offenders-one sexual offender every 279 people.

Lakeland-Population 90,207-385 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 234 people.

Fort Pierce-Population 36,365-175 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 208 people.

Sarasota-Population 52,942-284 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 186 people.

Nokomis-23 sexual offenders-I just found something that states the current population is roughly 4,000-one sexual offender per every 174 people.

Palatka-Population 11,005-66 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 167 people.

Panama City-Population 36,807-225 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per every 164 people.

Marianna-Population 6,286-44 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 143 people.

Sebring-Population 10,648-77 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 138 people.

Bartow-Population 16,455-123 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 135 people.

Perry-Population 6,804-52 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 131 people.

Starke-Population 5,863-49 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 120 people.

Arcadia-Population 7,084-103 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per every 69 people.

Brooksville-Population 7,609-130 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per 59 people. Yikes!!!

Okeechobee-Population 5,926-100 sexual offenders-one sexual offender per every 59 people. Yikes!!!

Runswithscissors is right on-they do tend to stick together and if you live close to a school they can't live right close to them. They also have to be a certain distance from a bus stop. Sad fact is that for whatever reason Florida has more prevs than many other states.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 07-18-2008 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Wow, that part of the state is BAD!!!

According to our research there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Weston, Florida in early 2007. (one of them moved out)
The ratio of number of residents in Weston to the number of sex offenders is 13159 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.

According to our research there were 47 registered sex offenders living in Davie, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Davie to the number of sex offenders is 1795 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.

According to our research there were 25 registered sex offenders living in Plantation, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Plantation to the number of sex offenders is 3446 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.

According to our research there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Cooper City, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Cooper City to the number of sex offenders is 3758 to 1.

According to our research there were 41 registered sex offenders living in Sunrise, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Sunrise to the number of sex offenders is 2213 to 1.

According to our research there were 53 registered sex offenders living in Lauderhill, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Lauderhill to the number of sex offenders is 1127 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.

LAUDERHILL!!!!

Our local loser-

According to our research there were 340 registered sex offenders living in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Fort Lauderdale to the number of sex offenders is 448 to 1.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Wow! Those are pretty good stats. Where did the info come from? City-Data and FDLE?

What is the average price of a newer home in these areas? I just found it

Most do pretty well with the sexual predators but some of those areas are better than others when comparing the crime index. The overall picture of crime:

Sunrise-crime index-305-median home 205K in 2005
Plantation-crime index-290- median home price 313K in 2005
Davie-crime index-260 - 288K in 2005
North Port-crime index-246 - 162K in 2005
Cooper City-crime index-158 - 294K in 2005
Weston-crime index-105- median home in 2005-$431K

Compelledtoreply, you did make some very good points in your previous post.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 07-18-2008 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Wow, that part of the state is BAD!!!
Yeah.. so guess what. Beautiful Vero is 1 to 148.

This is why you've seen me mentioning it a bit. I cannot go walking 4 miles with ass$%les every 10th of a mile lol.

NOW as the newly appointed Mayor of Florida I expect you to develop a theory on this.

Personally, I'm thinking:

The law
Hiding out in the denser areas such as Lauderhill
Trying to "hide" in quiet Vero

But regardless, it's upsetting to a mom of children as you can imagine. You can still live your life but it really REALLY is not like this everywhere. In my entire blue collar old zip code, with section 8 and other issues we had a total of 15 spanning TWO COUNTIES (not the entire counties).

We also had Megans Law whereby you have to register where you work TOO. SO several of our 16 only worked there not lived there.

I haven't been here long enough to form a conclusion but I lean toward transient = transient and transients love Fl.....simple as that.

Several of our offenders were convicted in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida