Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times

Advertisements

For what you have described, I really like Geneva. Here are a few unique things about Geneva that you might not know. This community is VERY protective of its rural environment. I personally know a developer that tried to get some land rezoned from 1 unit to 5 acres down to 1 unit to 3-4 acres. This means he wanted to build a house on lots that are no smaller than 3 acres. The town of Geneva fought this like a bunch of rabbid pit-bulls, and the Developer left licking his wounds. It still takes about 20 minutes to get from Geneva to Oviedo - which is pretty much the outer NE corner or Greator Orlando. There is some state forest land that also protects the area from devlopment, and there are no limited access highways going in that direction. The "coast", which is really only about 30 miles to the east is Canaveral National Seashore - i.e. a 40 mile streach of beach that you cannot easily get to, and that can never be developed - not even one house. So, there is not a whole lot of interest in developing in that direction, and this has left a pocket or void east og Geneva. Also, the Lake Harney region is not developable.

So, if you don't mind taking a 20 minute drive to the nearest grocery store, and if you like being around horse people, then Geneva is the place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma_Ranch View Post
I looked at Reddick and noticed that the town is very mixed. I am not use to being around other people as our entire valley has 3 black people. I don't mean to be racist but I really have never had any interaction. Maybe a town like Anthony might be better for me.

I saw that many towns have lakes and rivers. I am going to fly down and spend a week driving around to find my second home. So when you see a crazy woman lost with her little son in the back, say Hi!

I'd hate to break it to you, but the whole south east portion of the USA has a higher than normal black and even hispanic populace.

It's one of the reasons I'm moving out west. Good luck in your search, and if you do come, make sure you not only bring your .270, but also a .45 for CCW.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
Here is a hill I drive on every day going back to my singlewide at "Beaulaland" in the deep of woods near Wacahoota

An this is my place. Aint it purty?

Redneck timeshares are available. Jus go here:

[mod cut [/mod]

Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 AM

97 posts, read 433,320 times
Marion and Citrus Counties have rolling hills. Also according to the state web site they are not high risk for sink holes. We are looking around Beverly Hills.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Default Astatula

There's a little town called Astatula, which I discovered on a back roads trip. (I NEVER take the parking lot called I-4!) It's in Lake County, but south of where the storms just hit. It's very pretty and hilly. Land may still be reasonable there, but probably not for long.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyh View Post
Marion and Citrus Counties have rolling hills. Also according to the state web site they are not high risk for sink holes. We are looking around Beverly Hills.

Yes, I had always believed that Marion County doesn't have sink holes, but just recently a gentleman posted on here that he was checking out a house in Ocala and had learned there was a sink hole there.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
As you drive Noth on the Turnpike, there's a point just North of Orlando that I consider the geographical seperator of North and South Florida, where the state should be split into two seperate states to account for the cultural differences between North and South!!

Anyway, from that particular point, the landscape goes from basically flat to moderately hilly. By the time you reach the I-75/I-10 junction, you've pretty much got some nice rolling hills area. Tallahassee is hilly in areas. When I moved here I was scared to death (and still am, sometimes) of red lights Downtown... I was afraid I was going to roll back into the car behind me!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 24,091 times
Hi Friends,

The dream becomes closer to a reality today. I hit a moose a year ago and haven't been able to work since.

What happens when you hit a bull moose. Look and you can almost see the head facing to the left.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Tacomaranch/125x100_3_0_1.jpg (broken link)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Tacomaranch/125x100_3_0_1-2.jpg (broken link)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Tacomaranch/125x100_3_0_1-1.jpg (broken link)

I recvd a call today from SS disability that I have been approved. Also my 4 year old son will get money until he is 21 because I can't provide for him. We don't have a lot of money but we now have a steady income for life.

wacahootaman I love your property and your house. The nice CAT really is what make me happy. Prichard, that is how we are here, just about 10 years behind times but values and morals. No developments!

I am thinking of trying to come out and rent a car for a week and just tour the areas and see what I can find.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Tacomaranch/cowboyandApril.jpg (broken link) This is me on my mustang for the first time. There are rolling hills in the background. My ranch looks better since I put up corral panels and took down the shabby fence. I also cleaned up the yard! But it is nice ranch and we like it, the winters are just getting to be too cold.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 24,091 times
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Tacomaranch/100_0524.jpg (broken link)

This is my back yard.

Front viewhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Tacomaranch/snowinsept.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma_Ranch View Post
There are rolling hills in the background.
You don't mean those mountains, do you?! I assume you mean the green behind you that is hard to tell about...
Beautiful country out there! Just too dang cold!
Sorry for you & the moose! At least you are ok. And able to spend time with your son!
I'm sure you'll enjoy NOFL!

Wacahootaman - beautiful country as well!!!
That's actually a big hill for FL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida