Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
He is moving to the panhandle that area gets colder then Central or south Florida. Was just letting the poster know that just because your in Florida does not mean lack of freezing weather it just doesn`t last long.

You get 2 or 3 days cold then back into the 70`s.
Hey I have seen it snow twice in Tallahassee and once in Tampa.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I'm your 100% Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I love being a malcontent, I am a self admitted malcontent. Right Compelled???? I don't think I am 100% malcontent though, I say I am 75%... I do say good things about FL too....
No bones about it. I cannot say one good thing in all honesty. Well, we both have jobs we like. 99.9%?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, we both have jobs we like. 99.9%?
Hell... In Florida I'd settle for the part I highlighted...

Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
No bones about it. I cannot say one good thing in all honesty. Well, we both have jobs we like. 99.9%?
That is really shameful, you came here and both got great jobs, ( you even admit you make a lot more money here!) where you couldn't up north, and yet you can't be grateful or appreciate one thing about your new home. That is really pathetic. Great role model for your students.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is really shameful, you came here and both got great jobs, ( you even admit you make a lot more money here!) where you couldn't up north, and yet you can't be grateful or appreciate one thing about your new home. That is really pathetic. Great role model for your students.
I agree with you ; there are always things one can gripe about, but, if you have good health, good job, making the mortgage payments with lots of money left over... one should have a profound attitude of gratefulness .

Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:

Since when is being a good role model about liking the place you live? please...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
I think the point is, they were unemployable where they lived before, so it would be good to show some gratitude now instead of always looking on the gloomy side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Since when is being a good role model about liking the place you live? please...

Last edited by Lulu101; 09-10-2008 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Default My husband makes the SAME

Quote:
I make LESS. Education salaries in Florida are LESS than NY.

As far as the kids, there is a little boy in the class who is from Michigan. His family moved here 3 years ago. The teacher said all he does is sit and sulk most of the time. He doesn't talk much or socialize with the other kids.

Last year when they were learning (?) about the 4 seasons, Davy would pipe up that he used to play in the Fall leaves. He would say he used to ride his sled down the the hill and crash into the snow. Red flags went up with me. The teacher did not notice this at all. He would come back from Christmas break in Michigan with his Grandparents in an even worse mood. More red flags. When school started, the teacher asked the kids what they did on summer break. She asked Davy if he went to the beach a lot. He said, no, I don't like the beach. Hello? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see what this kid's problem is. He missed Michigan and his Grandparents. By the way, his Grandparents are staying in Michigan and only come here once in a while to visit. His Dad got a JOB here and that is why they moved.

Anyway, Davy came to me one day and started talking about all the fun he used to have in Michigan. He told me he wants to go back home. I told him this is where Daddy got a job and he has to stay here. He can go back to Michigan and visit his Grandparents for Christmas. I also told him that if he really misses Michigan, he can move back there when he grows up. I suppose that was the wrong thing to say? I should have said you must love FLORIDA and stay here????

All kids know where I am from, but I have NEVER said anything whatsoever about how I really feel about it here. In fact, the Florida native kids are constantly asking me what Fall is like, what Winter and snow is like. Sorry, to burst your bubble, but they really want to KNOW. Should I dismiss it and say, "Oh, it is HORRIBLE." "The BEACH is so much better." THAT would be a prejudiced statement. I just give them the facts without any commentary. They do really need to know.

There is not only a whole country out there outside of Florida, but an entire WORLD. I've been around the world too. I suppose I should not tell them about that either. IGNORANCE is not bliss.

If there are any typos in this, sorry. I am too upset to bother checking right now.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Turning down jobs is unemployable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I think the point is, they were unemployable where they lived before, so it would be good to show some gratitude now instead of always looking on the gloomy side.
Before I left NY, I went on an interview for a different job. I knew I was leaving, didn't want to lose my medical benefits for a short time, but everybody at work was bugging me to go on this interview. I got the job but turned it down. A week later they called me and offered me more money. A week after that they called again with an offer of even more money. Unemployable?

I came down to Florida in June. I sent in a resume in May. In July I was offered at job. I turned it down because it didn't pay enough. I had sent in a resume to another agency. They called. I didn't return their call. They must have called me about 6 times to come in for an interview. You would think when I didn't return their first call, they wouldn't call again? Hmm.

I had sent the school district my resume in June before I left. I sent in all my required forms, etc., by July. I went on an interview on a Thursday. That following Monday I was working.

Unemployable? Yes, I make less money than in NY, but that is FLORIDA's fault, not mine.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM

72 posts, read 162,243 times
Wow, little Davy sounds like my brother and I. We moved here as kids and we've always hated this place. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to enjoy seasons and holidays the way I used to.

Someday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida