Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM

27 posts, read 162,563 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to relocate our family out of NJ and after hearing nothing but good things about Palm Coast, we headed down there to take a look-see for ourselves. 6 days and 2500 miles later (yes, 2500 miles), we LOVED it and decided PC was a nice place to raise our family and plan to move there this summer. Now, after reading all the threads about Palm Coast, it has made me wonder whether I was driving around with a blindfold around my eyes the whole time or maybe I'm just insane. Living in northern NJ, PC is a different world to one extent yet a bit like taking a piece of "home" with you. First, most of the PC residents we met are from the NY/NJ/CT/MA area but WITHOUT the NY/NJ/CT/MA attitudes. Whether we were at the Winn Dixie, CVS or Dunkin Donuts, the people were extremely friendly, including the neighbors standing in front of their homes as we drove by, waving and asking if they can in any way help us. Second, the town was extremely clean and well maintained, as there wasn't any paper cups being flung out a car window, nor were the streets dug up and re-paved to the extent that you feel like you're riding down a roller coaster with your vehicle. Third, as we have 2 children ages 11 and 5, we drove by the public schools as well as followed some of the school buses as they dropped off the children. Immediately, we noticed the children were properly led out of school and into the buses, and they were dressed appropriately for school, meaning no pants half way down their bottoms with boxers hanging out for the world to see. I'm not saying that this "style" is not appropriate in any way, but I believe there is a time and place for it. There should be some level of respect towards these teachers, and I personally believe that this fashion style shows no respect at all, jmo. Also, as I mentioned we drove 2500 miles, we drove up and down, left and right, through all possible sections (R, W, P, U, B, F, C, L). Yes there were plenty of empty homes, but it seemed to me to be "over-built" and houses were sitting empty because of this surplus. What we also noticed was each section tendered to different age groups, i.e. R and B had plenty of children while not many were noticed in the F section. And yes, during the hours that schools let out, Belle Terre Parkway did become backed-up a bit. However, until you experience traveling 8 miles in 1 hour and 40 miles on any given day (yes, that is true), or getting stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway on a Friday afternoon, I'll take the BTP back up any time. Yes there is limited shopping, however PC is located right in the middle of St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. Is it so hard to travel 20 minutes to get to a mall? A lot of people are already complaining about the "traffic" as it is now, could you image if there was a huge mall in PC?? What would people have to say about the traffic then?? I've also read about no "night-life". Based on what we saw, I would say that is a correct statement about PC. But again, you are not far from it. I would think that it just depends on what you want. I believe that most people from the NE region want to get away from all of these points listed above, and I believed Palm Coast was just that place. Please let me know what I am missing because I just don't understand all these negative threads.

P.S. About the "gang" shooting, isn't that the 2 boys from Orlando who stole a vehicle in Bunnell, and were caught by authorities in PC after the boys pulled a gun on authorities??? Or was this another "gang" incident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
I think a first hand first impression like you had, means a heck of a lot more than a second hand opinion based on their own impressions and experiences.

Liston to your own heart and gut.

Best of luck

SKB

Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 AM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
I have been wondering the same thing about Palm Coast???? We are trying to decide between moving there or Davenport. We like a nice rural area, without nightlife. LOL. But I keep hearing negative stuff about PC too.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Like I've stated before, you are comparing apples to oranges. If you live in Newark, then Palm Coast must seem like Utopia. We "bashers" are comparing Palm Coast to other cities in Florida. If you take the time to read the other threads, you'll see why we don't recommend it. And BTW, mine is not a "second-hand" opinion. I'm from this area and have lived in Flagler County for 20 years.

Obviously, there are thousands of people happy with their decision to move to PC, maybe it's for you.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
If you went there and saw it and love it then I would say go for it! Everyone likes something different. I'm one of the Palm Coast bashers. Personally I can't stand the place. I find it to be too rural, not enough to do, I don't like the communities, etc. You've read it all before.

When someone asks about Palm Coast they want all opinions. Not just good ones. I post mine and let them know that it took me 2 minutes to know I would never live there. I visted several times (I'm in the Daytona area so it's not far to go to check it out). But each time I get the same feelings about the place.

But like all things, liking a city/town is subjective. We look at the same town and you love it and I don't understand why anyone would want to live there. But that's what keeps the world going. Could you imagine if we all picked the same town/city to live in? We'd have NYC all over the country!

If you like it and it felt right then you should go there. Everyone likes something different and everyone's ideal place of where to raise their kids is different.

Like the previous poster said about comparing.... I just think there are SO many nicer places to set up camp in Florida than to go to Palm Coast. My question for anyone considering the place would be "why???" You get cheaper housing. You know why? Because the place is not desirable. What's the attraction? There's nothing there except half built communities, many of which have no sidewalks, very limited businesses, no place to work, etc.

For example, how much is there for your kids to do? What about extra cirricular activities like dancing, sports, gymnastics (whatever they are into). Will you keep driving to other areas for those things? Just move to the other areas. I can't see the savings on the home price being worth everything you will give up by being there.

One more thing that I just thought of.... why is it that if someone is considering moving to a place that they can't bear to hear anything negative about the place? If people (more than just one person) are saying something negative about a city it doesn't hurt for you to take the things into consideration. Perhaps they don't bother you or you don't feel they pertain to you, but it doesn't hurt to hear the other side.

Last edited by RedWingsFan; 04-26-2007 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Well you all have made some good points about PC. I like peace and quiet and country like settings, but is there even a super walmart there? If not, then maybe we should look in nearby cities? We are looking for affordable housing though.
I love love love Daytona Beach, but I have heard all kinds of awful things about crime there. Are there any safe areas there?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone....You have put my mind at ease a bit. I have read all the threads and I do take everyone's opinion to heart - I do appreciate all of your opinions both good and bad. It just seemed like everyone was soooooo negative about PC that I really began to wonder. As sunshinegirl correctly notes, coming from the NYC area where the "nightlife" is continous through the night (so to speak), which includes the fire trucks/police cars blaring their sirens at any given point during the night, PC is just that - "Utopia" - in terms of the Northeast and what we are accustomed to. What my family has decided to do is move to PC and rent for a while, before we make a more permanent committment to any given area. This I believe will give us more time to really get a feel for not just PC but other parts of FL as well. It will also give my children a chance to feel it out and give us their opinion as well. As RedWingsFan noted, liking a city/town is subjective. Right now, I think that I will cherish the peace and quiet. Maybe after actually being there for a few months, I will go stir crazy. Who knows? I believe this is why our decision to rent rather than buy immediately is a good thing - stepping into it one foot at a time rather than jumping in with both feet. Oceandreams94, if I remember correctly, there is a super walmart in PC as well as a CVS and Outback Stakehouse. There was also talk about a new Target Supercenter being built. Other than that, I believe for the rest of the shopping you travel to Daytona, St. Aug., or Jax. It really was a rural town but for right now, I think it's just what the doctor ordered.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
I love love love Daytona Beach, but I have heard all kinds of awful things about crime there. Are there any safe areas there?
Ys, there are. Look at Port Orange and Ormond Beach. Both very nice and low crime.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Renting will make the transition much easier for you...give yourself plenty of time to explore Florida.

I too am from up North - moved from NYC. I had spend my childhood being dragged around exploring Florida...we considered South Florida (that was out early), then looked hard at the West Coast (Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota) - did that for a few years, then we discovered St. Augustine. Something really clicked there. We vacationed there a lot.

Eventually, over the course of a few years, my whole family relocated to Florida. Palm Coast at the time was relatively cheap and not too much going on there (not unlike today...15 or so years later). You could buy a lot closer to the beach in Palm Coast because of the cost, but at the very last minute (a lot was picked out and everything), we pulled out. There was just too much nothingness around.

So it was back to the first choice - St. Augustine. I eventually moved down to St. Augustine, stayed for a few years and then moved on to Jax, where I am now.

So....see how it is. At least it gets you in the state and then you can always move from PC if you end up not liking it so much.

I think driving to the stores you'll need in St. Augustine will take more than 20 minutes, though. It might take 20 minutes to get to the St. John's county line, but to get to the shopping areas will take longer (maybe 40 mins?). Maybe you're in the most northern part of PC though, that could make a difference. Also, even for people living in St. Aug, they can't yet find everything there, so they sometimes have to drive to Jax.....now you're talking about a real haul from PC. Of course, you could always head into Orlando for whatever you need.

It all looks so different from up North, but just keep in mind that you can find the beach, the friendly smiles, the slower pace of life all up and down the coast of FL, so explore and see what you find !

p.s. I'd be curious to know, is there a lot of heavy marketing for PC up North now? You had said you'd heard great things about PC and so you drove down to see.....how did you hear about PC at first?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM

Riv .... no marketing at all. Just heard from friends of friends, who moved to PC and love it. Husband also met someone from work who has been to PC and was considering relocating his family. The rest was my own reasearch. As far as traveling 20-40 minutes for shopping at the "stores", I basically do the same now so that part does not bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida