Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 03:01 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And it is funny to hear how people complain when their central air is broken. Today a friend of my parents was saying how bad he felt because the central air broke down. I told him that I went for a year without air conditioning (2007) to see how life would be. A group of people looked at me like I was crazy. If not for the air conditioner, south Florida would still have a population like 1970.
in a tiny apartment in NYC. Yes, it was very bad. I took a lot of showers. I went up on the roof to try to catch a breeze. Yes, people really did that way back when. Yes, the tar really does melt under your shoes. We lived not far from the piers. My parents would take me there to try to catch a breeze. As a teenager, I spent a lot of time in libraries, ice rinks, movies, etc., to get away from the heat. And yet, we still did not have the humidity that Florida has.

My childhood could very well play a major factor in why I really hate the heat. There were also times when we didn't have heat in the winter. That was bad, but I can remember wearing a coat inside and on at least one occasion, sleeping in my coat under the blankets. I can tell you from both these experiences, the HEAT WAS WORSE.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Good luck on your move to Florida. It seems like you are a perfect fit for this state. The good thing is that you are retiring here and don't have to work in Florida.
Thank you! I hope you're right. To be perfectly honest, I could be very happy being retired here where I am, but I just can't afford it. If I didn't have to go out in the cold, I wouldn't mind curling up by the fire with an afghan and an irish coffee and watch the wind blow and the snow fall. I just hate having to go out in it. And I start to go a little stir crazy by about mid-January.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 PM

72 posts, read 162,243 times
BacktoMA4good, about your morning adventure, the sad truth about FL but hilarious telling. I clapped!

Quote:
And it is funny to hear how people complain when their central air is broken. Today a friend of my parents was saying how bad he felt because the central air broke down. I told him that I went for a year without air conditioning (2007) to see how life would be. A group of people looked at me like I was crazy. If not for the air conditioner, south Florida would still have a population like 1970.
Funny? If you can handle it then good for you, glad you like the weather. I and others are miserable here in this house with no air conditioner, and let me tell you, we do not find it funny at all. We're living in a sauna, with headaches, zapped strength and sometimes trouble sleeping and breathing. Despite having a strong fan pointed on me all night, today I still woke up covered in sweat, and stepping outside, there's no difference in the air. Not my idea of a good time.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Still there is no breeze. Sometimes the boy even asks me if he can go back inside. All he says is, "too hot". No, this one is NOT from another state.

I did this without blinking an eye in NY when the temps were in the 30s. All I did was put on extra clothes. What can I do here? Nothing. You can only take OFF so many clothes and end up with sunburn besides.
Unless you don't care about getting arrested.

I'm in agreement. I've spent most of my life in various parts of Florida, but I've spent a few years in other parts of the country/world. If it were just the heat, I *could* handle it. My main problem with the weather is the constant daily rains and humidity. The perfect weather in Florida is December to February. At any other point in the year, especially April through September, you have to expect to get rained on for at least 30 minutes on a daily basis in central Florida. It wasn't much better in the panhandle.
I do think it's a fantastic state to retire to, which is what many people have already been doing for decades. However, I like knowing I can check the weather channel in the morning to know if I'll get wet that day or not, and I like to know I can plan outdoor events without an 85% chance of rain on any given day. Florida offers some of the best beaches in the world, but there's little else to offer in terms of environment. My choice is to take a mountain view and 4 seasons over beaches, rain, and hurricanes.
Others have a different view.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Not to belabor the issue, but I just saw this in the local paper. Hot is hot, no matter where you are...

City issues Code Red heat alert for Sunday

Temperatures expected to be in the mid 90s with high humidity

Baltimore Sun reporter 5:09 PM EDT, September 13, 2008 With high humidity and temperatures forecast in the mid 90s Sunday, the city has issued a Code Red heat alert and plans to open emergency cooling centers.

Five centers, to be operated by the city Housing Department, will open at 10:30 a.m.

They include: Northern Community Action Center, 5225 York Road; Southern Community Action Center, 606 Cherry Hill Road (inside the shopping center 2nd floor); Northwest Community Action Center, 3314 Ayrdale Ave.; Western Community Action Center, 1133 Pennsylvania Ave.; and Southeastern Community Action Center, 3411 Bank St.

In addition, residents can go to Recreation and Parks Centers throughout the city for relief from the heat, officials said.

Related links

Mod deleted
The Baltimore City Health Department recommends that residents check on older, sick, or frail people in the community who may need help.

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-13-2008 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Link to blog not allowed.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:54 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post

City issues Code Red heat alert for Sunday

Temperatures expected to be in the mid 90s with high humidity
That's what's so funny about it all. Many cities in the country have a major news alert for a day or two that are forecasted in the 90's with high humidity. It's like that every day for 9 months in FL. It was 90 with high humidity on Dec. 1st last year! Yes, it can get extremely hot and humid at certain times of year in many other cities, but it's brief and gone before you know it.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
That's what's so funny about it all. Many cities in the country have a major news alert for a day or two that are forecasted in the 90's with high humidity. It's like that every day for 9 months in FL. It was 90 with high humidity on Dec. 1st last year! Yes, it can get extremely hot and humid at certain times of year in many other cities, but it's brief and gone before you know it.
Don't know how familiar you are with Baltimore, but it's not a day or two. It's commonplace during the summer, just less so after we get into September. The big difference is that unlike Florida, lots of homes are not air conditioned, especially inner city homes. So these shelters are opened to try to help people out. They usually close by this time of year, but they are open daily during July and August.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 PM

41 posts, read 215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
They forgot rude people.

"Restless Masses" is my favorite part of the article. Also known in compelled language as malcontents.
I mean call us bad drivers and complain about the heat but when u start talking about all of FL being rude I take offense. I'm not rude at all!

Quote:
LOL....good way to save money too! How did it work out for you?

Last edited by Jlivan; 09-13-2008 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 09:50 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Of course this thread has attracted Florida lovers. It would be nice to have a thread for people to JUST vent about Florida; not praise it.

Whats wrong with "Florida lovers" We have just as much right to love it as florida haters have to hate it...I see lovers and haters posting in both threads.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
There's nothing wrong with Florida lovers or haters. I'm just saying, it might be better for certain threads to be designated for the Florida lovers and another for the haters who want to move out. That way, there would be less fighting. When I had made that post, I accidentally sent it to this thread, when I thought I was sending it to the miserable in Florida one. I made a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida