Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 19,943 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to find out all I can about relocating to Perry, FL. What's it like for a people in their mid-50's?? Friendly, crime, stores, etc, etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 11:00 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigangal
Just wanted to find out all I can about relocating to Perry, FL. What's it like for a people in their mid-50's?? Friendly, crime, stores, etc, etc.

Thanks
I did some looking into it and was surprised to find a high crime rate as well as other neg's. We are moving to the Chipley area in the panhandle in the next few months and it seems like a real nice part of the state. Maybe a little slow for some, but after living in South Florida for 55 years it will be a relief. I may not even have to carry a gun anymore, no kidding.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 95,954 times
I agree with Macguy...I have lived here in Perry for 35 years. It's miserable and going downhill very quickly. If you like to fish though, you might enjoy it. Just get some place out away from the city and you'll be good.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 59,631 times
Default The other guys answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigangal View Post

Thanks

Whoever it was that left the quote about Perry is totally wrong. It is a great place to live and work. It has the smaller town feeling and yes you have to drive to Tallahassee to shop at a big mall, but really, I am 43, have lived here since 1984 and am proud to be a Taylor countian! I leave my door unlocked although there are large dogs there, I know pretty much everybody, run to the store in my PJ's and everybody waves on my way! Doesn't get much better than that!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc99 View Post
Whoever it was that left the quote about Perry is totally wrong. It is a great place to live and work. It has the smaller town feeling and yes you have to drive to Tallahassee to shop at a big mall, but really, I am 43, have lived here since 1984 and am proud to be a Taylor countian! I leave my door unlocked although there are large dogs there, I know pretty much everybody, run to the store in my PJ's and everybody waves on my way! Doesn't get much better than that!!!
You have lived there long enough to see change. How has it changed, if at all?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:46 AM

I have been here long enough as well. I this town is going downhill quickly. But it's just my opinion. I was raised here, married here, raised my kids here. It does have the somewhat small town mentality but then you know with that, it also comes with the whole, everyone knows everyone's business. Small town shops are closing to bigger businesses. There is NOTHING for the kids to do so they hang out in the sopping center parking lots or any place they can find. Drugs are pretty hefty here and go from the most simple things to the worst kind. Jobs are not that great unless you work at the local papermill. Then you have to know someone or sleep with someone to get in there. Average pay is low compared to other areas. The fishing is good for saltwater and freshwater. Hunting is good if you can get into one of the many hunt clubs and want to pay their high prices for membership......oh and it helps to know someone to get in there too. There are some beautiful areas around here though. Then again I have seen some beautiful areas other places as well. Just my thoughts on this town and I'd leave if I could but can't make enough money to get out. Anyone want to buy some land?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermane View Post
I have been here long enough as well. I this town is going downhill quickly. But it's just my opinion. I was raised here, married here, raised my kids here. It does have the somewhat small town mentality but then you know with that, it also comes with the whole, everyone knows everyone's business. Small town shops are closing to bigger businesses. There is NOTHING for the kids to do so they hang out in the sopping center parking lots or any place they can find. Drugs are pretty hefty here and go from the most simple things to the worst kind. Jobs are not that great unless you work at the local papermill. Then you have to know someone or sleep with someone to get in there. Average pay is low compared to other areas. The fishing is good for saltwater and freshwater. Hunting is good if you can get into one of the many hunt clubs and want to pay their high prices for membership......oh and it helps to know someone to get in there too. There are some beautiful areas around here though. Then again I have seen some beautiful areas other places as well. Just my thoughts on this town and I'd leave if I could but can't make enough money to get out. Anyone want to buy some land?

Just a quick reply. I have 2 children, one with downs syndrome who graduated from Taylor County High School (proudly) and the other is in Gainesville working her way through college. We kept a close eye on our kids in and out of school, so drugs were not an issue, just morals. Any kid can get in the wrong crowd in any town, parents rule most of the time with a little fear and a whole lot of respect! Husband works at the papermill, long hard hours, and has been there since 1977, he did not know nor did he sleep with anybody to get his job, just hard work! I can't think of anyplace else I would want to live!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You have lived there long enough to see change. How has it changed, if at all?
Okay, let's see. We have grown by leaps and bounds! Super Wal-Mart, new hospital, Tom's foods is now Lance chips and crackers, lots of new little shops downtown, it is looking good , and as you know the cost of living is small compared to other areas. The original question form the woman who was asking about Perry was in her mid 50's, hince she may like fishing ,scalloping, scouting out the great outdoors and she may enjoy a small town bingo game or high school sports maybe even the quaint antique shops from here to Ft. White. Question is if you hate it here, why stay? I know it's hard to get Taylor County sand out of your shoes! Go somewhere else and you will look forward to the quiet, subdued atmosphere you will be happy again to see a pine tree!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc99 View Post
Okay, let's see. We have grown by leaps and bounds! Super Wal-Mart, new hospital, Tom's foods is now Lance chips and crackers, lots of new little shops downtown, it is looking good , and as you know the cost of living is small compared to other areas. The original question form the woman who was asking about Perry was in her mid 50's, hince she may like fishing ,scalloping, scouting out the great outdoors and she may enjoy a small town bingo game or high school sports maybe even the quaint antique shops from here to Ft. White. Question is if you hate it here, why stay? I know it's hard to get Taylor County sand out of your shoes! Go somewhere else and you will look forward to the quiet, subdued atmosphere you will be happy again to see a pine tree!
I know you know a lot more when you live some place but how do you account for the high crime figures they publish? Do you see it or is there something wrong with the way they tabulate it. In other words a place with 10 people, if one was murdered the murder rate would be 10% the highest on the planet, I.E. one in ever ten people in the town was murdered.. That may be why so many small towns that seem quiet have what looks like scary crime figures.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Hummmm, I wish I could leave Taylor County but with the slow economic growth and small pay....who can save money to leave? I have a hubby and two children and while they do not have a problems with the drugs either, they have known kids in school who have...let's see.....One stabbed another boy and spent time in Juvi, one got caught teaching his younger brother to roll and smoke dope, Two around the corner are well know for doing dope and the other even gets involved with the heavier stuff. Theives, guns, fights (serious ones not the school yard kind) Yeah...I see the crime all the time. I won't even buy the local paper because it's rarely anything good. Not to mention how small it is. Just remember, small town.....everyone KNOWS your business. This town is growing no doubt, but is it for the better????? IDK. We have a coal plant coming soon and some say that's a good thing and some say it's a bad thing. I know the papermill is fine for income but if you can get in and if you're associated with it. That's not to mention how they ruined a beautiful river but Ohhhh, can't forget...they are cleaning it up...Yeah, right. I have known many people who have gotten killed here in the past years. I am also a private type person but find it's hard not to have others knowing what you're doing. We can't get any of the bigger stores....(Wal-Mart was like a hoopla store to get) but the rest won't come because we don't have enough people here or traveling through. Oh and let's not forget....Wal-Mart is only as good as the people who run it.......which is not the greatest.

As I said before, if you don't have to work and want to retire, then Perry is ok.....if you have to work, then I would say look someplace else. This is just my opinion and since I have watched it grow and been here since '71 and hubby since '68......I kind of think we know a little about this town. Oh and BTW.....if you're rich...come on down....you can get anything done with money around here. Just ask anyone who owns this town.....they will tell you at least ONE of three names......

On another note.....consider this FACT!!!! Where else can you have a county commissioner be arrested, spend time in Jail/prison for Dealing......get out....and get RE-ELECTED!!!!!! Is this a good practice???? You tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida