Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:18 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Population loss of skilled workers is always a bad thing if not replaced with more skilled/educated workers.
Good and bad are always subjective.
Quote:
If you have immigrants coming in and they are not educated then the standard of living/quality of life in that area is going to go down.
And quality of life is subjective and ambiguous in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
"This is when educated people flow from one place to the next in search of better jobs/standard of living."

^^^ Bingo! This is what you are seeing in FL, and will probably continue to see. I say what I feel/see, whether some ppl feel it is racist or xenophobic. FL is filled with malcontents. Period. And I am a proud native, but atleast I can wake up and smell the coffee. It doesnt take a genius to see that FL is not the same place, it aint cheap to live here anymore, the beaches are overcrowded like the malls, roads, and schools. The people here have become more and more rude and aggressive over the yrs, and it is getting worse. And as we lose our natives and good residents for malcontents, it will only get worse.

And good ppl are leaving for a better quality of life to places like NC/SC/TN... I see it/hear it all the time, just look around. My neighborhood is filled with people that JUST GOT HERE to FL, and so many of them are foreclosing, coming and going all the time, getting repeated violations and tickets for speeding in the subdivision, parking illegally, the list goes on and on... it is draining. You dont even know your neighbor anymore.

PS - When refering to "FL" I am not saying the entire state, but a large part of it.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Good and bad are always subjective. And quality of life is subjective and ambiguous in my opinion.
LOL, same answers for everything. You are something else Tungsten Udder! Look passed the personal experiences everyone has, they are subjective. And dont look into stats damaging to S FL, they are misleading and used in different ways!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 PM

LOL, same answers for everything. You are something else Tungsten Udder! Look passed the personal experiences everyone has, they are subjective. And dont look into stats damaging to S FL, they are misleading and "not everyone uses them in the same way."

Old 12-28-2008, 05:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Good and bad are always subjective. And quality of life is subjective and ambiguous in my opinion.
Brain drain is only good in the mind of a mad man. opinion's are only worth something when based on fact

Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I am not from AZ. I did not go to grade school in AZ. I just live there now. Learn to look at profiles before commenting. I lived in FL 18 years, graduated from HS and JC there before moving to PA to finish my undergraduate education, and now AZ for my graduate. Considering I went through ONE OF THE BEST PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEMS IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA (Santa Rosa)....and it STILL didn't even come close to the quality of schools from the NE and Midwest...THAT is pretty sad.
I honestly don't care enough about you to look at your profile in depth. Considering people have been bleeding out of the Northeast rust belt into the sunbelt, and since I (and many others) would sooner move to Europe than move to Kansas or Arkansas for "job opportunities."

Again, Florida is ranked 29th or 30th... which is actually above some NE states (such as Maryland), and other "mid west" states... such as Texas, and Arkansas. I'm sorry if you think you didn't get a good education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007
Ah, but this...this is not true, my friend. In fact, the southeast has more dangerous weather and natural hazards than New England and the west coast.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20081217/2008_12_16t191715_450x355_us_death_usa.jpg?x=400&y =315&q=85&sig=rfnqNIgoL0kNYsZ1mrGX6w-- (broken link) (Source: USA Today via Yahoo News)
What isn't true? That more people die in winter storms than hurricanes in Florida? Prove it. Your little map does no such thing.

And you know what? People are LEAVING the NE and Midwest and moving to the Sunbelt. Maybe you should go on a road trip to convince all those people that their fortunes lie in South Dakota, along with fine weather.

Quote:
As of July 10, 2007? Unfortunately for you, the economy has plummeted since then...which has hurt FL the most. Ranking states' unemployment numbers (which the link provided barely even covers), Florida comes in tied at 39th with 7.3% (this is up, as of November 2008). Michigan is 51st at 9.6%. The gap is closing, and it's closing fast. Source: Unemployment rates - Unemployment rates by state from CNNMoney
2008: Florida ranked #17 in the nation in places to do business. As for states in recession, take a look at this map:

ABC News: Majority of States Now in Recession

The "midwest" is doing fine, for now, but you couldn't PAY me to live in Kansas. Period.

Quote:
That's great. Unfortunately for you, I have also done insurance studies as it relates to tropical cyclone landfall locations and strengths. New policies are very, very hard to come by unless it is insured by Citizens. More people are being cancelled every day by traditional insurers. The vast majority, if not every resident in coastal zones of FL are insured by Citizens. The only ones lucky enough not to be are in the far inland areas, but traditional insurers have raised their rates considerably on them as well.
You're full of crap. Period. I OWN a home 2 miles from the ocean and seven blocks from the intracoastal and pay $2100/year... in a wind zone, through a real insurance company, NOT Citizens. When I get impact windows next year, I hope to have my rates go DOWN even further after wind mitigation. I have friends who are insurance agents, insurance adjusters, and many many other insurance lawyers. Your "studies" are useful for your cute graduate level work in whatever it is your studying, but please, know your facts. Come speak to me when you actually own a home in Florida and try to buy insurance. The only people who need Citizens are people on the coast in really expensive houses and on the barrier islands.

[quote=psulions2007]You're terrible at defending Florida. You might find this article quite interesting: Is Florida in danger of going bankrupt? | Gainesville.com | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville, FL

If Florida fails to have enough in its insurance guarantee fund, it will get a bailout from Washington. The joys of federalism. 17 billion short is pocket change these days.

Quote:
Your point is? Last I checked, they had a 3.4% unemployment rate, with plenty of quality white-collar jobs (no, McJobs are not quality jobs) and a high standard of living. Just because your county has more people in it than South Dakota, doesn't mean Florida is magically better than it in attracting jobs and having an overall better economic situation.
My point is there are other reasons why nobody wants to live in South Dakota. If it was such a great all around place, there's be a helluva lot more people than 750,000. But hey, have at it! I'm sure the experience of living in South Dakota is incredibly cosmopolitan, multicultural, and interesting!

Quote:
You need to seriously wake up and realize that Florida is not the land of rainbows, unicorns, and rivers of honey. Florida is in deep trouble, moreso than most states. Put down the kool-aid...and if you like Florida so much, then try helping to make it better instead of saying "Everything's Great! No problems here..."...when it very much isn't and, in the end, that kind of attitude will make the situation much, much worse.
Sorry bud, but I am not someone who thinks nothing is wrong. There's a line between not thinking Florida is the worst place on earth, like many of you bitter, miserable people, and being pollyannaish, which I have never been.

But please, excuse me for having no patience for half of you people who are either grossly misinformed (willfully or otherwise), or looking for validation for your own malcontentedness.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
LOL, same answers for everything. You are something else Tungsten Udder! Look passed the personal experiences everyone has, they are subjective. And dont look into stats damaging to S FL, they are misleading and used in different ways!
Seriously? YOU are criticizing someone for ignoring stats and personal experiences damaging to your shangrila?

All said without a hint of irony or self awareness, of course.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Find the statistic which will tell you that as a new "floridian" I moved here fully intending to LEAVE? Where is that in your statistics? Find me the statiatic which will tell you what is in my own mind?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Find the statistic which will tell you that as a new "floridian" I moved here fully intending to LEAVE? Where is that in your statistics? Find me the statiatic which will tell you what is in my own mind?
I actually have no idea what point you are trying to make..... but, there is probably a small population of people just like you in any state, including others in Florida. People forced to move somewhere they don't like.

Much like Wild Style's hypothesis that people will "go where necessity takes them...." Will THOSE people stay in their emergency relocations forever? Maybe not. Most likely not. Hopefully they will have the ability and desire to make lemonade out of the lemons life handed them, however.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
[quote=TriMT7;6739229]I honestly don't care enough about you to look at your profile in depth. Considering people have been bleeding out of the Northeast rust belt into the sunbelt, and since I (and many others) would sooner move to Europe than move to Kansas or Arkansas for "job opportunities."

Again, Florida is ranked 29th or 30th... which is actually above some NE states (such as Maryland), and other "mid west" states... such as Texas, and Arkansas. I'm sorry if you think you didn't get a good education.

What isn't true? That more people die in winter storms than hurricanes in Florida? Prove it. Your little map does no such thing.

And you know what? People are LEAVING the NE and Midwest and moving to the Sunbelt. Maybe you should go on a road trip to convince all those people that their fortunes lie in South Dakota, along with fine weather.

2008: Florida ranked #17 in the nation in places to do business. As for states in recession, take a look at this map:

ABC News: Majority of States Now in Recession

The "midwest" is doing fine, for now, but you couldn't PAY me to live in Kansas. Period.

You're full of crap. Period. I OWN a home 2 miles from the ocean and seven blocks from the intracoastal and pay $2100/year... in a wind zone, through a real insurance company, NOT Citizens. When I get impact windows next year, I hope to have my rates go DOWN even further after wind mitigation. I have friends who are insurance agents, insurance adjusters, and many many other insurance lawyers. Your "studies" are useful for your cute graduate level work in whatever it is your studying, but please, know your facts. Come speak to me when you actually own a home in Florida and try to buy insurance. The only people who need Citizens are people on the coast in really expensive houses and on the barrier islands.

Quote:
You're terrible at defending Florida. You might find this article quite interesting: Is Florida in danger of going bankrupt? | Gainesville.com | The Gainesville Sun | Gainesville, FL

If Florida fails to have enough in its insurance guarantee fund, it will get a bailout from Washington. The joys of federalism. 17 billion short is pocket change these days.

My point is there are other reasons why nobody wants to live in South Dakota. If it was such a great all around place, there's be a helluva lot more people than 750,000. But hey, have at it! I'm sure the experience of living in South Dakota is incredibly cosmopolitan, multicultural, and interesting!

Sorry bud, but I am not someone who thinks nothing is wrong. There's a line between not thinking Florida is the worst place on earth, like many of you bitter, miserable people, and being pollyannaish, which I have never been.

But please, excuse me for having no patience for half of you people who are either grossly misinformed (willfully or otherwise), or looking for validation for your own malcontentedness.
Great post - I tried to give rep points but couldn't. I feel exactly the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida