Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,003 times

Advertisements

St. Augustine, Cape Canaveral, Daytona Beach, and Palm Beach are all really nice places to stop by on your way to Miami from Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
St. Augustine, Cape Canaveral, Daytona Beach, and Palm Beach are all really nice places to stop by on your way to Miami from Toronto.
I agree. jeeze...There are things to see. People move here so they can see them all the time. LOL. Like all along the entire OCEAN.

Palm Beach is home to the oldest money in the country, perhaps it'd be interesting to see how they live. Worth Ave, beautiful homes....just sayin.....or are people supposed to think the mouse and MIAMI represent Florida???

People asking need to post what "not too slow or not too whatever" means. LOL Driving all that distance and seeing NOTHING? I don't get it.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,593 times
I don't think anyone said there is nothing to see along that route. I think the point is that there is nothing to see if you stay on the interstate or turnpike. You have to get off drive into these cities and towns. The OP seemed to be wanting to just "get there" and that is what we were all responding to.

Nancy

Old 04-09-2009, 03:30 PM

^^ Well they did...and if you don't promote your own state then who will?

People around the world read these threads. And different people like different things.

I could see asking how much time they want to spend...but to just say there's nothing to see?

Even Celine Dion chose a place on Jupiter Island NOT MIAMI. It's beautiful there. She had her baby there and it's also been considered the most expensive zip code in the US a coupla times. She said she wanted the kid to go to school there. She's a pretty good advertisement for the area and not even local LOL. I have a friend who would postpone hours just to see her place she's such a fan.

Gloria Estavan opened her own hotel Cuban/Euro restaurant and spa here in Vero last year..

You can probably still see the Kennedy compound on PB island.

Little Pelican Island the Nations First Wildlife Refuge up by Sebastian, with Capatain Hiram's reggae bar on the ICW

We have nice condos for 30,000 maybe they'd buy one.

I read:

".not a lot of scenic stuff between Orlando and Miami."

Then there's :
St Augustine....after that, nothing to see as far as I'm concerned so just get to your destination..

No offense but I think it's irresponsible to say that. How sad. NO wonder strangers call Floridians unappreciative, really.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
^^ Well they did...and if you don't promote your own state then who will?

People around the world read these threads. And different people like different things.

I could see asking how much time they want to spend...but to just say there's nothing to see?

Even Celine Dion chose a place on Jupiter Island NOT MIAMI. It's beautiful there. She had her baby there and it's also been considered the most expensive zip code in the US a coupla times. She said she wanted the kid to go to school there. She's a pretty good advertisement for the area and not even local LOL. I have a friend who would postpone hours just to see her place she's such a fan.

Gloria Estavan opened her own hotel Cuban/Euro restaurant and spa here in Vero last year..

You can probably still see the Kennedy compound on PB island.

Little Pelican Island the Nations First Wildlife Refuge up by Sebastian, with Capatain Hiram's reggae bar on the ICW

We have nice condos for 30,000 maybe they'd buy one.

I read:

".not a lot of scenic stuff between Orlando and Miami."

Then there's :
St Augustine....after that, nothing to see as far as I'm concerned so just get to your destination..

No offense but I think it's irresponsible to say that. How sad. NO wonder strangers call Floridians unappreciative, really.
These people are driving FROM FREAKING TORONTO!!! Yes, I'm sure they want to pull off and see where Celine Dion and Gloria Estefan live.

Also, I believe I was quite clear that it was MY OPINION when I said, "As far as I'm concerned", so relax. I think anyone with half of a brain can see that I'm not the Governor of Florida and am not part of the Department of Travel and Tourism... You're being rediculous.

I'm thinking of unique "Can't miss" things. Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the beach!!! Ya gotta see THIS beach and THAT beach and THE OTHER beach.... Sorry dude, I'm not recommending people go out of their way to get a third perspective of the same ocean. Something they can just as easily see in MIAMI which is where they are going.... I don't think people with a limited amount of time are going to care about a slightly different shade and grain of sand and different configuration of palm trees... There are plenty of beautiful beaches where they are going.

Get off your high horse. As people have said umpteen times on here, if people are basing their decisions about a place solely on what they read here then they have problems that go beyond where to live and visit.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
These people are driving FROM FREAKING TORONTO!!! Yes, I'm sure they want to pull off and see where Celine Dion and Gloria Estefan live.

Also, I believe I was quite clear that it was MY OPINION when I said, "As far as I'm concerned", so relax. I think anyone with half of a brain can see that I'm not the Governor of Florida and am not part of the Department of Travel and Tourism... You're being rediculous.

I'm thinking of unique "Can't miss" things. Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the beach!!! Ya gotta see THIS beach and THAT beach and THE OTHER beach.... Sorry dude, I'm not recommending people go out of their way to get a third perspective of the same ocean. Something they can just as easily see in MIAMI which is where they are going.... I don't think people with a limited amount of time are going to care about a slightly different shade and grain of sand and different configuration of palm trees... There are plenty of beautiful beaches where they are going.

Get off your high horse. As people have said umpteen times on here, if people are basing their decisions about a place solely on what they read here then they have problems that go beyond where to live and visit.
If you think this site doesn't add value or detract from places then why are you posting about the places? Your position that people "basing decisions" [about TRAVEL and TOURISM]...on what they read here means they have "problems" is what' s rediculous (sic).

Why did Estafan open up a SPA and HOTEL here? For TOURISTS. Oh big shock a fan may want to go there and see it. I think her mom runs the restaurant, btw.

Here's a random quote off the internet:

5 Gloria Estefan!!! One of the BEST singers ever!!! Gloria, if you are reading this, just want to say I love your Hotel in Vero Beach FL. It's Beautiful!! The food EXCELLENT!!! I was hoping to see you there.Oh well, maybe next time.

LOL yeah Toronto that's in Canada right? Celine Dion's birthplace. I have no interest in Estefan OR Celine Dion but that doesn't mean a random trivia point is worthless. And you MISSED the POINT that she thought it was worthy of living here so it must not be a big NOTHING place.

Just like YOU being a "history buff" posting on wars and Gettysburg. I'm from PA and may not think to recommend Gettysburg but I would never say there's nothing to see in SE PA.

I never "check" poster's backgrounds but I'm good at getting the vibe of Anti Florida people.

I notice you said:

Lived in Orlando for 12 years and my wife and I upped and moved our family to the Northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia two years ago.

So what do I miss?? Eh, really just my friends and Disney.

Hey, I don't really know who remembers me or not from a couple of years ago, but I've been pretty anti-Florida...

So it's no surprise now to see you think Florida has nothing to offer between Disney and Miami.I said if you don't promote YOUR STATE who will? Obviously not YOU, you're not a Floridian so why take offense and why not admit to people you meant what you said?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Simply taking offense that you feel that your opinion counts and that another's is "irresponsible". The difference? I at least presented it as my opinion, which obviously you missed. Again I'll highlight the "AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED" portion of my post that you keep glossing over.....

Oh, and I could find a fan quote on the internet gushing over Andy Dick. What's your point?

I offered my advice, feel free to offer yours without being an "Andy Dick".

Beaches are nice, but I don't believe a person needs to go look at 4 different beaches to get the point. ESPECIALLY when their destination contains many fine beaches. I recommended what I believe are the highlights (St Augustine and Cape Canaveral) along I-95... How 'bout you add your $.02 and leave it at that.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
If you think this site doesn't add value or detract from places then why are you posting about the places? Your position that people "basing decisions" [about TRAVEL and TOURISM]...on what they read here means they have "problems" is what' s rediculous (sic).
I initially came here for advice and now I occasionally offer my advice. Thanks for proving your idiocy BTW. I repeat: ANYONE who uses this site SOLELY (another word your either missed or don't know the meaning of) as their determinate on where to move or vacation is moronic....

I never said the site didn't add or detract to a lesser extent, but yes, "basing decisions" on what they read here is "rediculous".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida