Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,664 times

Advertisements

I have lived in SoCal for over 10 years, love it! Attractions, pro sports, lifestyle, weather, really the only downside is the home I can afford around 200k.

In Southern Cali I can only get a 3 bd condo or townhome in a town such as Tustin or Garden Grove.

I noticed that in Florida, I can get a full on 3-4 bd house for the same price.

Will Florida (particularly Central FL) provide me with a similar lifestyle or even better than I currently have in Southern California?

I am married, 30, have 3 kids all under 5. We love being outdoors, doing attractions, beaches, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,060 times
Well, for the simple fact that you addressed professional sports, you are narrowed in your choices to Tampa, Jacksonville, and Miami. Of course, you could also live in Orlando (I am not a big NBA fan, so I was naming the NFL cities first). I would look into those cities and find out what your job options are first, and how far your dollars can go second. Then if you still like what you see, start answering some of the other questions (I personally think that if you can find a job, Tampa could provide you with what you're asking for).

Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Besides the above, the other consideration is that, while temperatures in Florida are almost always pleasant, it is highly humid from at least early May to about mid-October, so in this sense not comparable with southern California.

So be sure that you enjoy or can at least tolerate humidity.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Good follow up posts!
I'd add that you can get a better value for the dollars spent right now in Florida. You may want to look on the SWFL (Gulf Side), if you like the Southern California experience. However as ADIP said, you need to look closer to the cities she listed if pro-sports are that important for you.

Up front costs, you'll get more house than you would in SoCal, definitely. But if you have to pay for it, then you need a good paying job. That is where you'll struggle unless you have something that works before coming here. The job market is tough here, but not impossible, and there are a lot of variables / dependencies that will impact that. You'd be wise to have that worked out prior to your entry to FL though. If you want both beaches and pro sports you need to look more toward Miami or Tampa. With those as my choices - Id pick Tampa.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,485 times
We've lived in Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Gainesville; we also lived in Los Angeles for 3 years. As much as I adore Florida, NOTHING can compare to L.A. We will be moving back for good this week. We are renting a 3-bed house in FL right now and are willing to give it up for a small, 1-bed apt. in L.A.

The beaches are great there, though. And I'll miss the manatees!!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM

268 posts, read 899,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
We've lived in Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Gainesville; we also lived in Los Angeles for 3 years. As much as I adore Florida, NOTHING can compare to L.A. We will be moving back for good this week. We are renting a 3-bed house in FL right now and are willing to give it up for a small, 1-bed apt. in L.A.
How do you folks move around so much? What do you do for a living?

Intersting.... LA beats out Tampa?

What part of LA you all hang out?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:

The beaches are great there, though. And I'll miss the manatees!!
Parts of L.A. are like parts of Florida, there are a lot of distinct differences too. Some of the areas match up quite well as far as natural beauty, landscaping, beaches, etc.... But as with anyplace, there are some really great areas and some not so great; it just depends on where you are. My cousin(s) lives in L.A. and my brother lived in Santa Monica, and I liked it when I visited! It is a close call, because they are some really neat things to do out there. But, I'd choose Florida.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
How do you folks move around so much? What do you do for a living?

Intersting.... LA beats out Tampa?

What part of LA you all hang out?
I'm a writer so I have been lucky to be able to move around so much. I really do love Florida and don't even compare it to LA to tell you the truth. They both have their great/not so great qualities. The Florida city that resembles LA the most is Miami, of course. I'm seriously always torn - when I am in Florida, I miss things about LA, and everytime I leave Florida, I get sad! LA is the best place for career growth for both me and my husband, though - more opportunities there.

I love the beaches, food, wildlife (especially manatees), quaint towns and rural areas in Florida; LA is great for live music, shopping, museums and culture, etc. I'm really into Hollywood history and have worked in the entertainment industry, so I guess LA feels more like "home" to me. This time around, we are going to live in Long Beach, in south LA County. We always lived in the San Fernando Valley in the past - I guess it is time for something new! We hang out everywhere, but Malibu is our favorite weekend destination. We can't afford to live there, but it is fun to visit.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I'm a writer so I have been lucky to be able to move around so much. I really do love Florida and don't even compare it to LA to tell you the truth. They both have their great/not so great qualities. The Florida city that resembles LA the most is Miami, of course. I'm seriously always torn - when I am in Florida, I miss things about LA, and everytime I leave Florida, I get sad! LA is the best place for career growth for both me and my husband, though - more opportunities there.

I love the beaches, food, wildlife (especially manatees), quaint towns and rural areas in Florida; LA is great for live music, shopping, museums and culture, etc. I'm really into Hollywood history and have worked in the entertainment industry, so I guess LA feels more like "home" to me. This time around, we are going to live in Long Beach, in south LA County. We always lived in the San Fernando Valley in the past - I guess it is time for something new! We hang out everywhere, but Malibu is our favorite weekend destination. We can't afford to live there, but it is fun to visit.
Get outta here! !
That is really cool! I always wanted a career where I can be free to live where i've wanted. Now finally with the internet, IP phones, and a little success I can do that. My daughter is studying to be a writer. She is very artistic too, but keeps that talent for enjoyment rather than a career path.

My cousin lived in Long Beach with a great view of the coast line. Her boyfriend worked on a couple TV shows out there, which I thought was cool. The entire coastline is beautiful, and you're only a half hour or so from Laguna Beach where there is some awesome shops, and places to stay. I used to go to Santa Monica quite often when my brother lived there. I liked Hollywood Blvd, and the Sunset Strip. I also loved Rodondo Blvd, and all the windy roads in the valley (awesome to drive). One day we got a map showing where all the great movie stars lived, and drove the tour. That was cool too.

Hey, do me a favor, and make me a star in your next screen play. LOL

Good luck on the move! And stay in touch.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

102 posts, read 309,351 times
Califonia is a huge state and has prices that differ greatly depending on where you are.
We are currently planning to move back to Cali. as my husband is relocating with the corporation he works for. The Stockton and Merced areas seem to be a lot more affordable than the SanFran bay area for us.

Florida has more affordable houses in most places but don't forget that you will need hurricane, wind, flood, water damage, tornado, and lightening storm insurance coverage. Also, need a generator.
If you have a pool home because of the extreme heat + humidity, you will have to pay for pool cleaning. Even at 75 degrees it can be uncomfortable with humidity.
Lawn care and pest control is a must especially if you have small children playing in the yard. Millions of red ants and ect. Also, there are a lot of mosquitos and need bug dope.
Need lots of sun block. Sun damage is more obvious to the ones who make the beach their main source of recreation as there is not much else to do here unless you like to golf.

You should come here and rent for awhile and don't end up stuck here with a home that will not sell. Come here in July or August and take a long walk or hang out outdoors all day. It's like a hot steamy sauna.
I have relatives from Cali. who come to visit us and refuse to go out of our house during al the miserably hot+humid months and don't care to go to the beach anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida