Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 PM

166 posts, read 986,495 times

Advertisements

I worked very hard when I was a teenager. I was kicked out of my house at 16 and had to take care of myself while I went to school. By the time I was 25, I got a brand new house that I paid a builder to design.

I think it was the greatest blessing to get thrown out of my house. It gave me a very strong desire to just have a place that was my own. They actually did me a great favor. Perhaps if I lived a comfortable life with my parents taking care of me I wouldn't have wanted more for myself. I think the kids nowadays have parents that comfort them and give them their hearts desires. I think that can be dangerous. I think it's great if the parents do that, but if they become complacent then that could be dangerous. It will take them a much longer time to grow up. I had to grow up quick...at age 16! My home is worth so much money now. Many people who got to graduate high school and enjoy life with their parents are having a very hard time trying to get a home now. The prices here have skyrocketed. I started early, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made...over the years my home has generated a huge amount of equity.

I think when a kid has to grow up fast, they appreciate all that they have. When it's just given to them and they don't have to work for it, it may take longer till they grow up and mature.

Anyway, I look back and thank God everyday that I was thrown out! I probably would have been one of those kids that just wanted the computer, cell phone or whatever it is that kids get as a teenager. I really don't know what that was cause I didn't have a normal childhood...but I took a bad situation and turned things around. I really appreciate everything I do have much more than the kids who had everything handed to them as teenagers. All I wanted to do was work before I bought my home. I wanted to just have some type of security or a place to rest my head at night that actually belonged to me. Before that I was always moving somewhere, going from one place to another.

I also think some kids aren't ready for college at 18. They may want to just get a liberal arts degree and wait till they develop a passion for something they really want to do. However, that may take some time to figure out. It took me many years to figure out what I was really good at. Now, I can go back to college and finish up. At least I don't have to first worry about finding a home after I graduate college. I heard so many kids say they can't afford a home after college because their degree isn't getting them a job that makes enough. Now I have a home, I'm getting a degree and working doing what I love to do....while the value of my home is skyrocketing every year.

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-18-2007 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Lightbulb Staff shortage leads to imported labor in Fla.

This is an interesting article that was shown tonigh in NBC News: The big problem, though, is staffing, and a critical labor shortage. "We just weren't getting the talent level nor the applicants that we needed,"

"We get them from Jamaica, Bulgaria, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, the Czech Republic,"

Key driver: In South Florida, high housing prices have decreased a necessary work force

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17691144/

Old 03-20-2007, 05:31 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Lightbulb That is an interesting article~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This is an interesting article that was shown tonigh in NBC News: The big problem, though, is staffing, and a critical labor shortage. "We just weren't getting the talent level nor the applicants that we needed,"

"We get them from Jamaica, Bulgaria, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, the Czech Republic,"

Key driver: In South Florida, high housing prices have decreased a necessary work force

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17691144/
And they won't get the "talent level" they are looking for at cheap prices. Capitalism is a two-edged sword. People who can will retire early in their 40's and 50's. There will be a big drop in the labor force. People are not sitting around planning to work to help a company survive. Companies have no loyalty, so we save, invest, and quit early.

The next 20 years will be interesting.

sunny

Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
And they won't get the "talent level" they are looking for at cheap prices. Capitalism is a two-edged sword. People who can will retire early in their 40's and 50's. There will be a big drop in the labor force. People are not sitting around planning to work to help a company survive. Companies have no loyalty, so we save, invest, and quit early.

The next 20 years will be interesting.

sunny

I will agree with your comment but is a business decision and they want to make as much money as possible. So in any business that you run you consider the risk factors and labor is one that can make you or break you. These are non-skill traits that might not make over $9.00 per hour.

Now, in a personnal note, if I need a job and $9.00 is what I can get, I must make a decision and either take it or move on.

Back to the post, wages does not increase as the cost of living increases. Many individuals reside far from the work area and commute every day because housing is less expensive. So a person has to make a decision, do I work for $9.00, receive state/GOV aid, or relocate? Is an individual decision.

Your comment Companies have no loyalty, so we save, invest, and quit early. is true, but don't we all look for the best paying job (just a reality of life). I have a co-worker that drives 1.5 hours each way for a job that pays $30.00 per hour. He can't get nothing close to that amount in his area, so he has to commute daily. We had an IT network Spec that was making $27.00 per hour and found a $32.00 per job with another company. He took the job like a flash, we trained the individual but money was a greater need than loyalty to the employer that assisted him in getting the job.

I do believe that is all about our own needs and desires....

Last edited by sunrico90; 03-20-2007 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
do believe that is all about our own needs and desires..
I agree, sunrico. Also our generation is different from earlier ones. My father had an excellent pension and golden parachute from the NY Times. Many companies today don't offer that. People aren't stupid; it just makes me laugh if I read in the news about 65 year olds who are "going back to work, because President Bush has raised the retirement age"- Those of us retiring in 10-25 years are saving, and NOT planning on working for some slipshod company.

sunny.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 03-20-2007 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-22-2007, 06:47 AM

27 posts, read 162,312 times

I saw this and had to read it. I read the first couple of pages and then scanned the rest. First ......I want to thank all of you for sticking up for us seniors.

The person that posted the first message was not thinking. Clearly you all have given them something to think about. Heck I think we blew them right off the board! I agree with all the post about seniors working for little wage. I think most of us work because we enjoy it. Yes there are many that 'have to' work to make ends meet. This person that wants to move to Fl and get a job for sure isn't looking at the type of job a senior is doing.

YEP I said all the same things that have been said. So all you seniors that are working I say YEAH for you! and the person that wants a job in Fl can sure find one! Plenty to go around!

Have a great day!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
I Dont Think That Anyone Should Say Who Can Work And Who Cant. I Believe That It Is Good For Seniors To Work Some Of Them Can Not Afford There Living Expenses. My Grandmother Is 73 And She Gets Up And Goes To Work Everyday And She Lives Off Of Social Security But It Is Not Enough To Cover Her Rent And Her Bills Or Meds.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM

217 posts, read 845,298 times
Yeah sure, senior citizens are stealing your "good" job at Wallyworld, the Toll Booth, etc. The same way immigrants are, as Stephen Lynch sings, "stealing our welfare and best jobs to boot, like landscaping, dishwashing, picking our fruit..."

Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxphyre View Post
Yeah sure, senior citizens are stealing your "good" job at Wallyworld, the Toll Booth, etc. The same way immigrants are, as Stephen Lynch sings, "stealing our welfare and best jobs to boot, like landscaping, dishwashing, picking our fruit..."
I see all age groups working at Wal-Mart. Should the employer only hire a certain age group?

Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
I was down in Florida visiting in the LAkeland, Orlando, Ft Myers, Cape Coral Naples area and have contemplated moving here for many years now. I was recently laid off from my job in NY from Kodak, and am looking to relocate to Florida.

I was truly amazed at the LARGE number of Senoir Citizens working at many establishments, hotels, TOLL Plazas, Disney, Universal, Cypress Gardens and even PUBLIX. Grant it I dont know everyones situation, but cmon they are probably collecting Social SEcurity, and are taking jobs away from the younger generatiopn who need to support families. Correct me if Im wrong but is FLORIDA that expensive as to where the retirees must work down there to afford their houses, taxes, due to the tremendous increase in taxes, HOI and housing? How can I expect to move here when Bertha who is 75 years old is working a county job or state job at the toll booths, just to "keep" herself busy or in fact is it neccessay for them to work now because of the housing costs?
You are kidding, right? How dare you insult the elderly population with this. People HAVE to work until they die!!! Trust me, I am not going to retire at 62 or 65, I will probably be working until, well who knows when. These people have what is called "life experience", something you will have, if you live long enough. This country, thank god, does not have age discrimination. Whether or not these elderly persons are working for minimun wage or not. It is better for them, then having to decide whether to eat or buy medication. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but since I am 54, believe me this has almost brought me to tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida