Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

LOL - and that is warm for them at this time of the year. Umm, no thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Somebody from Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I think I'll miss fall and Spring, not so much the cold, bitter, bone chilling, I can't breath it is so cold outside weather.
would probably kill to have NYC's "cold, bitter, bone chilling weather". Ever been upstate?

This is a chart for the average temperatures in NYC.

New York City: Average Temperatures

Generally, the average temps for the winter are in the 20s through the 40s. That is pretty accurate, with the exceptions of now and then very cold (teens and single digits) which don't last more than a few days at a time, or in recent years, an occasional 60 in January or February.

I only want to clear up any false impressions. The temperatures in the NYC are not even lose to say Maine or Minnesota. You make it seem like they are and that is FALSE. Maybe to YOU it is, but not according to the charts.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I grew up part of my life in Texas and Massachussetts. I can't imagine going back. I was in Texas over Christmas and it drove home how much of a Floridian I am. If the temperature dips below 70 degrees during the day I get cold.

The humidity is part of what I love about Florida, it makes it feel so tropical. Its not for everyone but I am not officially a Floridian at least in my own mind.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM

158 posts, read 504,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
would probably kill to have NYC's "cold, bitter, bone chilling weather". Ever been upstate?

This is a chart for the average temperatures in NYC.

New York City: Average Temperatures

Generally, the average temps for the winter are in the 20s through the 40s. That is pretty accurate, with the exceptions of now and then very cold (teens and single digits) which don't last more than a few days at a time, or in recent years, an occasional 60 in January or February.

I only want to clear up any false impressions. The temperatures in the NYC are not even lose to say Maine or Minnesota. You make it seem like they are and that is FALSE. Maybe to YOU it is, but not according to the charts.
What are the windchill factors in NYC when you're walking down the street in the endless shadows of highrise apt and office buildings and the swirling wind blowing off the river between them?

Don't bother answering, I've lived in NYC and it's a rethorical question.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
What are the windchill factors in NYC when you're walking down the street in the endless shadows of highrise apt and office buildings and the swirling wind blowing off the river between them?

Ack, windtunnel effect!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post

because if you are close to the lake you get the wind chills, and the lake effect snow.

Yes, there are windchills in NYC, but NOTHING like Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, etc. Anyway, the actual temps are a good 15-20 degrees colder to begin with.

As far as Manhattan (where I was born, raised, and lived), the concrete and blacktop holds in heat. The buildings, and the subways, generate heat. All the underground pipes, etc., generate heat. That is one reason why snow never sticks around very long in Manhattan. Actually, when it IS very windy, the tall building tend to BLOCK the wind. Sorry, I lived far too long in Manhattan to go along with what you are saying.

Don't try to tell me that the temperatures in NYC are the same as Buffalo, windchill or no windchill. I grew up in NYC and spend 28 years there, and have travelled all over upstate in the winters. It is colder UPSTATE. A LOT COLDER.

I am not trying to pick any argument, but some of you are giving FALSE IMPRESSIONS try to say that NYC is as cold as Buffalo or, even Minnestoa, and I want to correct that.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I went to school in Cortland, in upstate NY. I'm from Long Island and live in the city right now. Cortland is MUCH colder than downstate.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
tanaples is right... have been in middle of winter in both chi and nyc and chi is much colder. i'm sure the other inland cities are the same. I always imagined buffalo to have a much worse winter as I check the weather pretty much everyday between Dec-January and buffalo always looks either freezing or several feet of snow.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Thank you DC - here we go with how NYC is not what we say it is - Enough already - you have your opinion and I have mine Jeesh! Not you DC, but you know what I mean.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Here is another difference between Florida and NY. I was recently transfered to a severity class (wheelchairs and diapers) in a Florida HS. Athough I am supposedly 1:1 with a male wheelchaired student, there is another TA (male) in the class. There are 4 female students in diapers. This male staff member changes their diapers and toilets them. Is that LEGAL in Florida? It certainly was NOT in NY. Only FEMALE staff could diaper or toilet female students. Are the parents of female students aware that this is being done here? I am not saying any wrong doing is going on, but wouldn't it be a better situation, since I am in the room and the teacher is also female, to let US toilet the girls? There are enough boys in this class that this male TA can take care of their needs.

I don't know if I should say anything, but I find it very "creepy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida