Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM

97 posts, read 278,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Ok, here are a few more to wet your whistle

I am really whistling now!!! I can't believe how you can have pictures that look so Old South and right in the same area beaches that look like the Caribbean. So much green......and then the sand! I can feel and smell the salt air now....

I wonder, if we have 6 days, we should be able to explore the whole coast line from Pensacola to Santa Rosa Beach and still check out in the Pace area fairly easy, right? So much to see.

We are looking into moving to the area, but this trip is mostly an exploration trip, relaxation time for my husband and I. I think if we find the area we want to live in, I'll then be able to focus on a job.....

But, this time in my life, I want to find where I want to stay put......then I will find a job in the area.....not the other way around.

Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I took a look to see if I could find you some discount rental cars etc. I own several travel websites and usually get discount codes from all those travel companies I can pass onto customers for savings. Nothing right now that would help you.

If you could fly into Tallahassee I guarantee the drive once you got to Panama City and drive 30A across you would be hooked for life, its that beautiful!

If you happen to drive from NO make sure you do drive east on 20A when you get time so you can see the beaches along it.

I agree as above, this area is a gem for someone looking to move to Florida.
Thanks, Sunny Days, for taking a look..... I really appreciate it. Any advise of what you think I should be sure to see?

Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticaryl View Post
Thanks, Sunny Days, for taking a look..... I really appreciate it. Any advise of what you think I should be sure to see?
The two other posters know far more because they live in that area but as a family who has traveled that road hundreds of times you will get a treat by just driving it.

Make sure you plan to stop and visit the area, get your feet into the sand, grab a picnic lunch and enjoy.

Take plenty of film!

My suggestion was to make sure no matter which way you come in from make sure you drive 30A for a while either direction.

You are in for a real treat with this area. It's that BEAUTIFUL !

Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM

36 posts, read 171,616 times
My wife and I spend 9 days driving the area from Mobile to Santa Rosa Beach. We made no plans or reservations at a hotel. We didn't want to be "tied" to any certain area. There was a tent in our car just in case we needed it (we didn't). It was the best vacation we ever had. I highly recommend it.

By the way, getting a hotel Thursday through Sunday was a little difficult but not impossible.

If you like seafood, there are some great forums on here to search for the best places to eat. If you go through Mobile, eat a Felix's by the battleship. Order the west indies salad.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,427 times
Quote:
I am really whistling now!!! I can't believe how you can have pictures that look so Old South and right in the same area beaches that look like the Caribbean. So much green......and then the sand! I can feel and smell the salt air now....

I wonder, if we have 6 days, we should be able to explore the whole coast line from Pensacola to Santa Rosa Beach and still check out in the Pace area fairly easy, right? So much to see.

We are looking into moving to the area, but this trip is mostly an exploration trip, relaxation time for my husband and I. I think if we find the area we want to live in, I'll then be able to focus on a job.....

But, this time in my life, I want to find where I want to stay put......then I will find a job in the area.....not the other way around.

Can't wait!
Yes, you should be able to do it in 6 days ... Pensacola is about 2 hours west of Santa Rosa Beach & the 30A beaches. If you take the drive over, which we hope you will, we highly recommend the beach route since you've never been here. It may take a little longer because it is Spring Break .... you will pass through Navarre, Ft Walton Beach, Destin, Sandestin, and then bump off on to the Scenic 30A and the Beaches of South Walton. Have never been to Pace but it's close to Pensacola ... so that shouldn't be an issue.

You definitely should visit before moving here. We understand what you are saying that you have to find the "right" place first, then you can search out work. We are glad to hear you will be relaxing. Though, we will tell you that finding work here is challenging. It's very much a service / tourist economy. The Pensacola, Ft Walton, Destin area will have more opportunities available --- especially if you are military.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The two other posters know far more because they live in that area but as a family who has traveled that road hundreds of times you will get a treat by just driving it.

Make sure you plan to stop and visit the area, get your feet into the sand, grab a picnic lunch and enjoy.

Take plenty of film!

My suggestion was to make sure no matter which way you come in from make sure you drive 30A for a while either direction.

You are in for a real treat with this area. It's that BEAUTIFUL !
We have to agree!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, you should be able to do it in 6 days ... Pensacola is about 2 hours west of Santa Rosa Beach & the 30A beaches. If you take the drive over, which we hope you will, we highly recommend the beach route since you've never been here. It may take a little longer because it is Spring Break .... you will pass through Navarre, Ft Walton Beach, Destin, Sandestin, and then bump off on to the Scenic 30A and the Beaches of South Walton. Have never been to Pace but it's close to Pensacola ... so that shouldn't be an issue.

You definitely should visit before moving here. We understand what you are saying that you have to find the "right" place first, then you can search out work. We are glad to hear you will be relaxing. Though, we will tell you that finding work here is challenging. It's very much a service / tourist economy. The Pensacola, Ft Walton, Destin area will have more opportunities available --- especially if you are military.
I have most of our trip booked now....we are flying into New Orleans, renting a car and driving to Pensacola for the first night. Day two and three I have booked Pensacola Beach (at the Holiday Inn Express), then we travel to Fort Walton Beach for a night to give us the opportunity to explore Scenic 30A, then back towards Navarre, then on to New Orleans for a night! I am so excited!
As far as work, my husband is retired, and I am a nurse. I spoke with a Sacred Heart recruiter and I think I will be able to find employment okay. Got lucky in picking the right career. May not make as much........but I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
I have most of our trip booked now....we are flying into New Orleans, renting a car and driving to Pensacola for the first night. Day two and three I have booked Pensacola Beach (at the Holiday Inn Express), then we travel to Fort Walton Beach for a night to give us the opportunity to explore Scenic 30A, then back towards Navarre, then on to New Orleans for a night! I am so excited!
As far as work, my husband is retired, and I am a nurse. I spoke with a Sacred Heart recruiter and I think I will be able to find employment okay. Got lucky in picking the right career. May not make as much........but I think it will be worth the sacrifice.
Great! At least drive over to Santa Rosa Beach so you can see the sites at Destin, Miramar, Santa Rose Beach etc.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Very excited for you ... sounds great!
Ft Walton will be about 30 -45 minutes from the 30A ... depending on Spring Break traffic, it could take a little longer.

If you are considering working at the Sacred Heart location in Sandestin ... we would suggest living somewhere like Miramar Beach, Sandestin, Mack Bayou, North or South Santa Rosa Beach, the 30A, or Pt Washington. Many of us who live over this way try to stay out Destin unless we need something ... it's not bad over there ... just try to avoid the traffic ....

Keep us posted!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Very excited for you ... sounds great!
Ft Walton will be about 30 -45 minutes from the 30A ... depending on Spring Break traffic, it could take a little longer.

If you are considering working at the Sacred Heart location in Sandestin ... we would suggest living somewhere like Miramar Beach, Sandestin, Mack Bayou, North or South Santa Rosa Beach, the 30A, or Pt Washington. Many of us who live over this way try to stay out Destin unless we need something ... it's not bad over there ... just try to avoid the traffic ....

Keep us posted!
Can you give me an idea, how much time should I expect for driving the 30A after I have driven the 45 min to get to it? Should I go as far as reaching 98 or seaside at 395? It's hard for to figure how far this really is. We have the time, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida