Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times

Advertisements

^^^ I hear ya! Same thing in Orlando, Tampa, and most of Central FL now too.

I've never seen so many people in all my life change lanes constantly, just so they dont have to slow down for the person in front of them that is turning. It's truly unbelievable. It's like "Man, the person in front of me is turning right at the next light, so let me swerve into the other lane without looking so I dont have to waste 5 seconds slowing down. "

I dont see that in Alpharetta, Cary, or Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 PM

141 posts, read 752,452 times
I've never been south of the Tampa area (even then I stayed in the northern suburbs). I must be missing out on quite a ride in Miami.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
People like to say that things are so much cheaper in Florida than in NY. Well, not everything is and car insurance is one of them.

Ours nearly doubled with the same cars, no accidents, taking off an under 25 year old driver from the policy, and getting a quote from the insurance company we had been doing business with for over 25 years.

We were also told that one of the major reasons for it being so much more expensive than NY was because of no mandatory state inspections in Florida. Do the neighboring states to Florida have state inspections? I don't know but that could make then less expensive than Florida, among all the other factors insurance companies use.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times
Car insurance will always be very high here until you get the blind old people off the road, the illegal Hispanics and Haitians off the road, the uninsured off the road, the criminals and drunks with suspended or revoked licences off the road, and stop all the car thefts and crime. Florida is one of the highest states for all of these factors.

One thing that really gets me is that Florida is one of the only states with no mandatory liability insurance. How stupid is that??? With all the other risk factors and now this. All you have to have is PIP and a measly $10,000 in property damage insurance. No bodily injury liability. So if you get hit by someone with no insurance it is perfectly legal in Florida and you will have to pay for your own injuries. Sometimes I think Florida sets itself up for failure and attracts all the losers on purpose. I mean, c'mon.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I love when people base what is expensive/inexpensive to what it costs in (always) NY or NJ.

But part of the reason that car insurance is "universally" high is because of a few reasons. One, the drivers. We have the aggressive speeders who drive like they are still on the NJ turnpike, we got the lil' ol' grannies that drive 35 in a 55, we have the constant hit and runs (especially in S FL and Orlando, Tampa areas). We have the young crowd (lots of big state universities = lots of kids), we have the tourists that dont know where they are going, and we have the people that are from some foreign country that just got their license and have no idea what a turn signal is, no idea what merging is, and basically lacking driving ettiquette (sp?).

Dont mean to sound angry or anything, but driving here makes me insane at times! And I'm from here so I'm pretty used to it! And sometimes I am still thrown off by how stupid and rude people can be. It has really changed over the last 10-15 years!
yes I know your pain and we are having to move back because of family things and boy do I ever dread the car insurance thing .

Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It is expensive because the law requires it. I am surprised that nobody has challenged the right ro revoke a driver's license simply for not being able to get insurance. The illegals and many legal residents simply drive without and risk the consequences, so they run away and cause death and destruction instead of stopping for police. If insurance is optional it would be a whole lot cheaper as companies would actually have to compete. The system would have to be reformed, however to prevent dangerous drivers from terrorizing the roads with no consequences. Nobody has figured out how to do it yet.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
Maybe it's higher here because of the 'NO FAULT' law in Florida. So those of us who buy insurance pay more to make up for those who don't.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It is expensive because the law requires it. I am surprised that nobody has challenged the right ro revoke a driver's license simply for not being able to get insurance. The illegals and many legal residents simply drive without and risk the consequences, so they run away and cause death and destruction instead of stopping for police. If insurance is optional it would be a whole lot cheaper as companies would actually have to compete. The system would have to be reformed, however to prevent dangerous drivers from terrorizing the roads with no consequences. Nobody has figured out how to do it yet.
The main problem is this time warp third world country state is one of the only ones to not require auto liability insurance. You only have to carry a measly $10,000 in property damage liability which wouldn't even cover the cheapest of cars you can damage. Bodily injury liability which is the most important is not required. If you get hit by someone with legal Florida insurance only you will have to pay for your own injuries through your own insurance. If you are hurt badly beyond your limits then you're in trouble. The poor Haitians and Hispanics are flooding in here like water having never owned a car or driven before in their lives. That's why you usually see them driving the worst wrecks on the road like a 1980 Japanese econobox held together by twine. What do they have to lose? The worst thing that could happen to them is they get deported and end up where they started. Then they smim back across the border the same night. Just getting behind the wheel for the first time in their lives must be a rush compared to riding a donkey.

The lack of laws and understanding in this state makes it easy for illegals and criminals and hard on conscientious people. Florida attracts problematic people and lets them thrive. Why is it always and only Florida? Who runs this joint?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM

141 posts, read 752,452 times
I did not know Florida does not require liability insurance. I have been getting quotes for the same levels of coverage (including liability) that I have currently in Ky. This seems like the only sane choice.

The "mandatory inspections" argument is a canard. Almost no Southern states have inspections outside of metro areas (the only exceptions I can think of are Va., WV, and Texas). Even the metro inspections are for pollution not safety. Yet Florida has the highest rates by far in the Southeast.

How much no-fault insurance does Florida require? I'm currently carrying $10,000 in no-fault coverage in Ky., though we are allowed to opt-out of the state's no-fault insurance by filling out a form.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
I did not know Florida does not require liability insurance. I have been getting quotes for the same levels of coverage (including liability) that I have currently in Ky. This seems like the only sane choice.

The "mandatory inspections" argument is a canard. Almost no Southern states have inspections outside of metro areas (the only exceptions I can think of are Va., WV, and Texas). Even the metro inspections are for pollution not safety. Yet Florida has the highest rates by far in the Southeast.

How much no-fault insurance does Florida require? I'm currently carrying $10,000 in no-fault coverage in Ky., though we are allowed to opt-out of the state's no-fault insurance by filling out a form.
The only mandatory coverage in Florida is $10,000 in no-fault (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability. Bodily injury liability is not required. These are third world requirements to suit the majority third worlders living in Florida. I wouldn't go without bodily injury liability unless you have nothing to lose and can maybe disappear from a lawsuit. This is a broken system for sure that lawmakers have no desire to fix. Just be careful driving since most people have little or not enough insurance and many times none. You have to watch out for yourself and drive defensively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida