Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I agree. take a ride on the back roads in North Florida and you'll begin to wonder where people go for work. There really is a lot of open land still in North Florida. Coming home once we decided to hit some back roads off the interstate north of Lake City and there are some people who do live out in the sticks up there. It's nothing even compared to Central FL forget South FL. obviously there's a lot of untouch land up there. Just look at the fires up there. There's got to be something fueling it that keeps them going all these weeks.
As I was leaving Florida, right around Ocala, I thought, "Now this is nice. Really nice." Once you get past Tampa, it is a whole other world. It's actually Southern!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 18,898 times
Default Why are people leaving Florida? Here's some reasons:

1) Lack of decent paying jobs. The illegal immigrants work for cheap. Generally, they are workbees. In order to work a service industry job, about which are the only jobs left, you're working with them, at depressed wages.

2) Crime. Lots of gangs, thanks to illegal immigrants, have inundated South Florida with crime.

3) Trafffic. Lots of illegal immigrants who don't know how to drive.

Solution: Start your own business where you can work from anywhere, via the internet, and move to Anaconda, Montana. There, you can get a house for $25,000, a nice one. Or, move to northern California (Shelter Cove, CA). This is gonna be a big area one day.

Kris
Removed
Buy my land so I can move.

Last edited by xxman777; 05-16-2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM

39 posts, read 53,624 times
i'm leaving because i hate living in two seasons; hot and hotter
i miss a real spring and real fall
i can get a 2 story house with a basement and a real backyard for my kids to play in for the same price as a 1 story here.....oh and it comes with grass you can sit in......not this crab grass that is as rough as sand paper
because i like wearing sweaters and jeans

i could go on but LOST is starting

Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I see alot of floridians are relocating to other states. Is it the taxes or the HOI ? Is it the crime ? Is the cost of living here too much? Lack of jobs ? The storms or fires ? I would like to know why.
I wanted to stay but I'm in biotech and there just wasn't anything for me - or rather, nothing that would allow me to earn enough as a single person to buy a house there and afford prop taxes and insurance! So here I am In North Carolina.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:48 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
First off, if you track hurricanes by hits per actual coastal mile, FL isn't #1. The Carolinas are, followed by Texas, then FL. Next, I'm in Tampa, and my mom has been hit with more hurricanes than I have - and she's in Mobile AL. As for the people, one of the reasons I HAVEN'T left Tampa is the people - I love it here, we're friendly for the most part (every area has jerks) and people still make deals with a handshake. If you look at the OVERALL tax burden of living in any state, you might be surprised at how reasonable FL can be. We have no personal income tax, sales tax averages 7%, and no personal property tax (and how much did you pay to register your car in MA last year, folks?). Even if I bought a house here (I rent), my property taxes would be less than the corporate/personal/personal property taxes I'd pay on the same income were I to move to Phoenix.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinFL View Post
i'm leaving because i hate living in two seasons; hot and hotter
i miss a real spring and real fall
i can get a 2 story house with a basement and a real backyard for my kids to play in for the same price as a 1 story here.....oh and it comes with grass you can sit in......not this crab grass that is as rough as sand paper
because i like wearing sweaters and jeans

i could go on but LOST is starting

I am keeping my jeans and my beautiful Irish Wool Sweaters. I will pack them away for the FUTURE.

Draw your own conclusions on the above.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
people are invading the carolinas, tennessee and georgia becasue its the latest pipe dream of utopia.....those areas are on the fast track to becoming the new florida
Much to our chagrin!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,235 times
I remember a golden age of sorts in florida, from about '72 when they built DW to the late 80's, when everything was growing AND it was fun and affordable to live in Fla. Now, its different. It truly was a great place to live, once upon a time...

Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
I remember a golden age of sorts in florida, from about '72 when they built DW to the late 80's, when everything was growing AND it was fun and affordable to live in Fla. Now, its different. It truly was a great place to live, once upon a time...
$125 a month in Gainesville for a furnished two bedroom apartment. Ok, they were still probably cheaper than usual because of the large student population.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 AM

132 posts, read 472,176 times
Yes! all of the above reasons are why we are moving...going to MA! biggest factor....florida is a vacuum with nothing to offer but hot sweaty beaches with sweaty rude people...tons of them....give me science, culture, arts, food to eat besides chain foods...go to the Mass state section of City data.com and you will see how everyone is happy there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida