Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see this??? But this happens everywhere right?
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1942986,00.html

A few things I saw in the article...

"In January, while crossing the street to get to her home west of Miami, Ashley was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver in a pickup truck — and became a heart-wrenching symbol of South Florida's notoriously reckless car culture. "You see all these people getting run over and you ask yourself: What's happened to us as people here?"

"This month, highway-hugging Floridians are seeing perhaps the most convincing evidence yet that they need an attitude adjustment. A study by the nonprofit Transportation for America in Washington, D.C., lists the most dangerous metropolitan areas for pedestrians, and the worst four just happen to be in the Sunshine State: Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville. It may seem like an astonishing find, but it's not actually all that surprising: 490 pedestrians were killed by cars in Florida last year, the most in any state, and South Florida consistently ranks as one of the worst pockets for hit-and-run fatalities."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1942986,00.html#ixzz0czpJCaOs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
If anyone else saw it, it would have been months ago, when the article was written.

But um, actually, yeah. The article states Florida is the worst, and gives some pretty good situational and developmental reasons why. It's no secret that sunbelt cities with sprawling post-WW2 development patterns (Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando), are represented in the top 10 in America for pedestrian fatalities.

As for the "hit and run" aspect of some of the pedestrian fatalities, someone has to be the "worst," don't they?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM

It was written about 6 weeks ago (Nov. 29, 2009), not exactly months ago. But not only are we talking about pedestrian fatalities, but it is specifically talking about South FL and 'hit and runs' which is more what I was getting at. The article is eye-opening as they specifically talk about how careless, inconsiderate, and ignorant they are in Miami/South FL. And that is what you appear to be overlooking.

Pretty crazy when someone (in Miami) asks, "What's happened to us as people here?" That's pretty eye-opening.

And then this... "Miami drivers are also notorious for carelessly parking their cars on sidewalks near schools, forcing children into the streets." WOW! How much more inconsiderate and ignorant can they get down there?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Gasp...you posted something negative about South Florida, there must be something wrong with you and with Time Mag. Don't you know this is paradise and dissenting opinions will not be tolerated? In all seriousness, I don't mean to come off so negative but I just can't imagine that the rest of this country is as rude and self-obsessed as this area, and I don't understand why some ppl refuse to acknowledge that we have some very serious problems down here. I had a very interesting conversation with a nurse the other day. She is a native New Yorker who is moving back to NYC because she can't stand the rudeness. She was followed several miles by an irate driver who threatned her and shouted obscenities at her, she said she's had enough. Ironically, being from NYC which is supposedly the capital of rudeness, she said that she had never encountered the level of rude, terrible, and dangerous attitudes in NY that she had in S. Fla. She's moving in May. There's something wrong with a place where ppl are routinely run down in the streets and left for dead, if one wishes to acknowledge it or not. Before I'm told to leave, I am and I truly can't wait.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
It's a shame. Drivers in South Florida are generally very aggressive. I've driven just about everywhere in this country, Los Angeles, New York City, Atlanta, Washington DC, etc.. and I have to say that Miami's drivers have the most attitude. One possible positive: At least they don't poke around like drivers in my side of Georgia.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 AM

"Miami drivers are also notorious for carelessly parking their cars on sidewalks near schools, forcing children into the streets."

^^^I still cant get over that one!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Yes, it does happen everywhere.

According to the NTSB there are 18 states with higher vehicle fatality rates. That includes pedestrian deaths as well as vehicle occupant deaths. Yes, Florida does lead in one category but as always that doesn't tell the whole story. Unless of course that is the story you want to sell.

There were 19 states with pedestrian fatality rates above 1.5 per 100,000 with 1.44 being the national average. So as I stated earlier, yes, it does happen everywhere.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Comsense you post the same thing over and over. You call us trash all the time and complain about our drivers on a daily basis. Honestly I don't know why the mods allow this troll behavior. You don't live in Miami. Are you a real person or just a troll? How can you spend so much time and energy bashing a metro area(Miami) where you don't even live? If you are a real person and not a troll, why not spend this time talking to realtors, fixing your home so you can sell your Orlando home as soon as possible?

You are in charge of your future and happiness... Many people have moved, but it takes effort to sell a home in this market. Most of them didn't spend months bashing cities they don't even live in. Potential buyers in Orlando are not gonna be in the Miami board. Let 2010 be the year that you finally take charge of your own destiny and finally move. Of course that's IF your story is real because your credibility at this point is zero. I starting to think you are a home schooled teenager in Peoria, IL with too much time in his hands.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM

21 posts, read 23,231 times
My mom went through a hit and run in Orlando, it was a horrible experience for her.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 PM

My post wasnt so much about the roads being unfriendly to pedestrians, but about the hit and runs. And then when I read this, "Miami drivers are also notorious for carelessly parking their cars on sidewalks near schools, forcing children into the streets." That really threw me for a loop. Are they saying that the people just pull their cars onto the sidewalks? What do they do just hop the curb and park on the sidewalk? I've just never seen so many incidents, stories, and articles about a place being so notorious for this behavior.

It's amazing that some folks never will admit how awful it is to drive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida