Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I simply could never understand the mindset of people from the NE whose "dream" was to either move/retire to Florida. Honestly, I can't. I have heard so many people, espeically from LI, say they will retire to Florida. Why? Like it is programmed for them to do so? Is it a sign of "having made it"? Where is the logic? I just don't understand it. Does it make them feel like they are RICH or something? If they trully WERE rich, they would have a place in Florida AND NY AND someplace else LONG BEFORE they were retirement age. Those people, and I have know some growing up, simply leave for the WINTER to their Flordia homes (or the Riveria as one family I knew) and then come back to their place up North in the Spring and Summer.

I don't know. I have never been one to follow the crowd or do what I am "supposed" to do. Maybe I am just a child of the 60s who still believes in doing what I like best, not what I am SUPPOSED to do.
Couldnt agree more. It is just a theory but I think in the 50's (before my time ) through the 70's people in NY would talk about Fl like it was some kind of haven. Everyone's grandmother would visit, or have a house there; it was the thing to do.
I read someone comparing Orlando to Honolulu - lol they obviously have never traveled. And people with real money would have a house on the Riviera, not Margate. Take a trip there and compare.

Granted there are some beautiful sections-like Palm Beach where Yoko Ono has one house (that she lives in for one month out of the year). I still like N. Florida but the rest of it is overrated and passe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
They did that in Massachusetts, too.

They'd get upset and say they were moving to Florida, like that was paradise.

Someone on here, somewhere, said that Orlando was the vacation capital of the world. I checked it out. Wrong. France is the number one destination. For foreigners going to the US it is New York City. And for Americans, the number one state is California.

There are the very wealthy that buy a second home in Florida, but they don't seem to visit it often.

For the people that want to move permanently there or have a second home, I think they are more concerned about where Walmart is located and not the symphony.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Visit Palm Beach in July. Its deserted. Except for the 20 people who may have a p/t job on Worth Avenue to keep themselves occupied. The law offices on Royal Palm close for three months. Thats great if you are F. Lee Bailey, not his paralegal.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 05-31-2007 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 PM

7 posts, read 9,635 times
Default Explanation of mooch

Let me try to explain my use of mooch, though I thought I clarified that in my original posts.

There are people on this board that inquire about the lifestyle of living in Fl. I gave you facts. I 'query' the defensiveness of those who take offense.

MOOCH is coming home from work in Fl, after a hard days work. Finding an RV of farmers in thier drive who is a 'friend' of a 'friend'. Exploiting hospitality.

For years, there were ongoing jokes in Fl about the mooches. We'd all been through it thanks to their 'yearning' to be a part of a culture they could not fathom. THEY come into your home, talk 'crap', pay for nothing and insult out of their jealousies.

And if you think I dont' know, keep dreaming. When I referred to mooches, I mean these vagabonds I am speaking of. Retirees? Yep, mooch in a way. I explained that.

Triple dippers? Explained.

Corruption and cops? Almost any cop now admits they will not jeopardize their lives by going into drug dealers territory. Then get the badge off and let a man do the job you won't.

Look, You are defensive to the word mooch for personal reasons. If it fits, it fits. Clean up your reasons for wanting to come to Fl (free ride on relatives, etc).

Just keep it where you belong. K? This post was meant to help mature people who might have been considering moving to Fl because of a job opportunity. My attempt to help them have a clearer picture of life in Fl. It's your defensiveness that caused you to not accept it in the vien it was meant. I KNOW who you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
If you know any cops who are collecting retirement pensions and disability payments and are out playing golf, I am sure that if you report them, the government would like to know.
As for "double dippers", I know those who have served 20 years in the military and started another career from which they also retired. They worked for these pensions and deserve them.
I agree with the other poster, please define what you mean by a "mooch". Who are these millions who come here and mooch?
Is a retiree who moves to live in a warmer climate a mooch?
Is someone who moves here to try to give their family a better life a mooch?
Or are you referring to the illegal aliens who are all over this country?
I'm not sure you would know a fact if it came up and introduced itself to you.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 PM

119 posts, read 610,593 times
lol hiknapster...my parents have a second home in Florida and the location of the nearest super walmart was very important to them. I had to giggle at your post
They too are northerners who think of Florida as a magical land with no capital beltway, rainy 50 degree days, and $800/mo property taxes.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 AM

177 posts, read 684,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by established View Post
Let me try to explain my use of mooch, though I thought I clarified that in my original posts.

There are people on this board that inquire about the lifestyle of living in Fl. I gave you facts. I 'query' the defensiveness of those who take offense.

MOOCH is coming home from work in Fl, after a hard days work. Finding an RV of farmers in thier drive who is a 'friend' of a 'friend'. Exploiting hospitality.

For years, there were ongoing jokes in Fl about the mooches. We'd all been through it thanks to their 'yearning' to be a part of a culture they could not fathom. THEY come into your home, talk 'crap', pay for nothing and insult out of their jealousies.

And if you think I dont' know, keep dreaming. When I referred to mooches, I mean these vagabonds I am speaking of. Retirees? Yep, mooch in a way. I explained that.

Triple dippers? Explained.

Corruption and cops? Almost any cop now admits they will not jeopardize their lives by going into drug dealers territory. Then get the badge off and let a man do the job you won't.

Look, You are defensive to the word mooch for personal reasons. If it fits, it fits. Clean up your reasons for wanting to come to Fl (free ride on relatives, etc).

Just keep it where you belong. K? This post was meant to help mature people who might have been considering moving to Fl because of a job opportunity. My attempt to help them have a clearer picture of life in Fl. It's your defensiveness that caused you to not accept it in the vien it was meant. I KNOW who you are!
You claim to give people facts, yet, I don't see one fact in your posts. I see a lot of innuendo and prejudice but no facts.
You don't like people who were not born in Florida, fine that is your prerogative but don't try to pretend that your prejudices are facts.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
Guys, before this discussion really heats up, remember to treat each other with respect.
Yac.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 AM

58 posts, read 193,713 times
Default It's not that bad guys

I've lived in the State 38 years. And, I have traveled, so dont give me this, "you dont know better attitude."
So, limiting it to the mainland US, nah, I disagree. Yeap, in comparison to 30 years ago, it's gone down...down. So? Where in the US has it not gone downhill?
You guys that think WV and TN are nirvana, you kiddin me? And, even if it's all you want now, think again. What about 15 years from now? Think the illegals wont find you?
I live a decent happy life here, and know many others that feel the same (and yes, they too have traveled.)
Out of state readers, a lot of stuff on this thread is just people's frustrations with their lives, not a reflection of any general truth about Fl.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:11 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBreeze View Post
I've lived in the State 38 years. And, I have traveled, so dont give me this, "you dont know better attitude."
So, limiting it to the mainland US, nah, I disagree. Yeap, in comparison to 30 years ago, it's gone down...down. So? Where in the US has it not gone downhill?
You guys that think WV and TN are nirvana, you kiddin me? And, even if it's all you want now, think again. What about 15 years from now? Think the illegals wont find you?
I live a decent happy life here, and know many others that feel the same (and yes, they too have traveled.)
Out of state readers, a lot of stuff on this thread is just people's frustrations with their lives, not a reflection of any general truth about Fl.
Actually I think you're wrong.... That's just the thing about TN, NC and WV is that they HAVEN'T been going down hill over the last 30 years. You sound old enough, do you not remember the horrible stigmas and stereotypes of these three states??? They were earned reputation in many ways. Now they have actually gone UPhill in the last 30 years economically, educationally (though that's not saying much), and socially.

Now the whole thing is that I don't see it being too long before TN, and NC go over the peak and down the other side because they've been discovered.... I think WV still has a way to go to still improve before it sees any peak. That's why I've recommended before that WV is the place to get in on now (for those looking to re-locate) because land is still extraordinarily cheap and it's only a matter of time before people figure it out......

Old 06-01-2007, 07:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBreeze View Post
Yes, this is so true. And it MUST be remembered that Florida is a large state which varies widely from town to town, region to region, in weather, economics, diversity, etc. We have found an area we are happy with and are doing well. And we also have an area of NC for retirement and investment with which we are very happy.

I don't feel that ANY one place satisfies ones needs forever. I find that in a 10 year time frame people and their wants/needs change, and places and towns change, and we usually need to move on. In today's world things are changing faster than ever before and the people who are happiest are those who can "go with the flow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida