Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times

Advertisements

The Tampa Bay area is nice and there are very good schools in cities like Seminole, Clearwater and Palm Harbor.

You're close to the beaches, in a major metropolitan area with many amenities and close to an airport with nonstop service to a lot of cities. There are a ton of recreational opportunities thanks to the beautiful beaches, nearby lakes and the Pinellas Trail for biking. The cost is living is much lower as well. A quick look online turned up theses options: a 3 bedroom house in a beautiful well established Clearwater neighborhood for $1100, a lakefront 3 bedroom house in Seminole for $1400 and a nice 3 bedroom house for rent in Palm Harbor for $1150.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I know you're probably trying to be helpful, but has it ever occurred to you and the many others who chastise those of us planning a move, that we've probably thought all of that out? Finding a job right now isn't easy anywhere.
I'm not chastising anyone. Of course finding a job is tough.

You'd be amazed at all the open ended posts we get here from people who haven't thought about getting employment first but move (or want to move) here anyway. Those are the folks I, and others, issue cautions about moving here without a job.

If you read the OP he needs a job in IT. I know nothing about IT jobs in FL which is why I mentioned the job will determine the location. Others, apparently, are aware of IT employers and have suggested these to the OP. When he gets a job location it is much easier to provide specific information.

If you pick the perfect location, but can't find a job, what good is that?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
[quote=RMD3819;12808601
You'd be amazed at all the open ended posts we get here from people who haven't thought about getting employment first but move (or want to move) here anyway. Those are the folks I, and others, issue cautions about moving here without a job.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure most folks have thought about it and omit the obvious from their posts.
Having read a number of threads here on the Florida board, one can get the impression it's not a friendly welcoming place to move to. It sounds as if no one is working and the only employment that's remotely available are $8 an hour jobs. Even with a corrected unemployment rate of 20%, nationally it's around 18%, that would mean 80% have jobs. So in actuality, it's really not that dire if one stops buying into the hysteria. I guess in summary, it would be nice to let people hold onto their dreams and try to help guide them along with a dash of realism, versus clubbing them with your unbridled negativity.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
I think our differences are a matter of perception.

I don't think the Florida threads are not friendly. Sure there are negative posts and people with slanted views but that is true of any forum here. A lot of folks have this image of Florida in their mind. When people correct that image with reality it gets misinterpreted as negativity instead of the simple truth.

I don't think an unemployment rate of 20% is good. The $8 an hour jobs aren't available either, at least not where I'm at. I know. My kid (25) is looking for one. That is not hysteria-it's reality. The employment landscape and work ethic are TOTALLY different from where you are at. I know this too, because I grew up in 19008.

If you read my other posts I think you'll find I try to be balanced but realistic. I certainly try to help people with their dreams and guide them along. I use more than a dash of realism though since some perceptions of FL are shaped by what they see on TV or what is on the postcards. I try to correct (you call it clubbing) these perceptions-and it is not necessarily all negative-because to do otherwise would be misleading. That helps no one.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,991 times
So I'm in the same situation too. Moving from Virginia Beach and considering moving to Florida............LOVE BEACH LIFE!!!! Any luck on finding a new city in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida