Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Like any other business the Doctor is allowed to determine who he wants to see and who he does not.

If he is going to lose money on certain patients because of this HC bill then like any other business he can turn away who he wants to.
No, this is technically not true. As pointed out previously in this thread, a doctor is not allowed to discriminate based on a variety of traits. What he says is the reason he's turned somebody away and what is the true reason might be different. As long as he doesn't get caught he's fine, but if he does...

A doctor is not a typical business. If he doesn't like the rules of the game he should have picked a different profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
Let's face people around here at least have never wanted the new health care I remember when it first started with the company insurances people were complaining even then. This was back in the mid 80's what makes you think they like it now. It has nothing to with Obama how ever he has made it even worse then it was already. People just don't like to be told whom they can see, they don't like it. I've heard about the health care Since the mid 80's an no one likes it but a few people whom have no clue.

People in Florida don't like it because we had a great health care and now it has gone downhill big time.
I'm curious as to how he's made it worse. I'm also curious where you got the idea that people are being/going to be told what doctors they can see. If you had some links to those claims, that would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
His oath continues to be met. He takes office visits and treats the people he does see.
In what I consider to be a hostile environment.
What kind of patient would willingly walk into a doctor's office with such a partisan sign on its door? I think we all know.
Quote:
He is in business to make money and treat people. But he has the right to decide who to treat and who not to treat.
Does he?
From the Hippocratic oath:
I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
Quote:
No one surely wants to force a Doctor to see patients he does not want to see now would they? That would not be right.
What about forcing public school teachers to teach kids they "do not want"?
They have been facing daunting, over-crowded classrooms for quite some time now, along with wretched budget cutbacks. I have not seen any signs on school doors.
The teachers I have known, no matter what their political views, are professionals, heard a calling and have a conscience.
They would not put up silly, intimidating signs up warning off this or that child according to political affiliation.

IMHO, health care is a mess now and might well get worse before it gets better. I don't have a problem with docs asking for cash--we might well end up bartering, too, which is an age-old tradition.
But this Dr. Cassell guy has taken self-righteousness to an almost comical level--he could be right out of South Park.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,053 times
Quote:
Let's face people around here at least have never wanted the new health care I remember when it first started with the company insurances people were complaining even then. This was back in the mid 80's what makes you think they like it now. It has nothing to with Obama how ever he has made it even worse then it was already. People just don't like to be told whom they can see, they don't like it. I've heard about the health care Since the mid 80's an no one likes it but a few people whom have no clue.

People in Florida don't like it because we had a great health care and now it has gone downhill big time.
I don't see where anyone is telling him who he has to see or not. He is free to not see anyone if he doesn't want to. He decided to take a pro active stance and make himself the center of the story. You notice we don't talk about the Haiti earth quake anymore. People will forget who this guy is in like 30 seconds as we move on the the news cycle. In his town through people will not forget and he has pretty much ruined his practice and for what?.

You have to wonder what is in someone's mind when they do such a self destructive thing? Not the kind of person you would want as your doctor regardless what your personal politics are. I hope no one thinks this was a smart business idea as some on here seem to think. Would anyone on here want to trade places with this guy now? Look at the grief he has drawn down on his kids because their father is a radical. This is not a political discussion it is about an unbalanced man practicing as a doctor making poor knee jerk decisions in his personal life. maybe he was no something when he stuck up the sign because it make so little sense.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
Many doctors deny services to anyone with particular types of insurance so this is no big deal.

I agree with Frank that the sign could have been worded in a different way.

But he is still a private owned business who does not work for any company or corporation and can pick and choose who he wants to see and not see.

I am not going into detail in this section of the forum but there was a hospital in Chicago that turned away thousands of patients just because they did not have HC coverage. So why didn't anyone say anything about that?

I thought no one could be denied services at a hospital?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Mango----snipped----That is what he is doing, acting out, not making a political statement. Nothing about this is in his own best interest so you have to wonder why. This was just a trigger that has pushed him over the edge. People with problems look to find someone or something to blame them on and when they do it gives them away. He probably owes the IRS or something who knows, radical thoughts always stem form somewhere....snipped
I dont really care what this doctor does, it is his practice and we do LIVE IN AMERICA but, I dont know how you can make a general statement like this...yours is an opinion, just as his is that he doesnt want to treat Obama patients. You are just as bad to me.

What about Obama's radical ideas/thoughts on remaking the fabric of this country...... is he any different, based on your statement.....

I am neither liberal or conservation but a mixture of both, just like most of the people in this country. And, I still say, it is the doctors practice and he has the right to do with it as he pleases and reap the consequences, good or bad.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Mango...I hope no one thinks this was a smart business idea as some on here seem to think.
maybe he just has the courage of his convictions.....

Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Many doctors deny services to anyone with particular types of insurance so this is no big deal.

I agree with Frank that the sign could have been worded in a different way.

But he is still a private owned business who does not work for any company or corporation and can pick and choose who he wants to see and not see.

I am not going into detail in this section of the forum but there was a hospital in Chicago that turned away thousands of patients just because they did not have HC coverage. So why didn't anyone say anything about that?

I thought no one could be denied services at a hospital?
Point taken but you have to question his motives in the way he did it. He decided to make a political statement and tie it directly to his private business. This was so foolish as to bring into question the mans actual mental state. His anger is pretty much unchecked and he can't be trusted I would say. He may as things progress and he gets push back become even more reactionary and even dangerous.

There is defiantly more to this then the health care issue, he has other problems. This is not the reaction of a happy normal, rational, man. In fact it is extremely irrational. My first guess would be he has financial problems, that always brings out the worst in people. You never really know what is going on in peoples personal lives till they snap like this guy with has with this self destructive act.

Hospitals do have to treat emergence patients. But they do not have to treat the chronically ill such as, don't expect to show up and get free cancer treatments, dialysis and so on.

Last edited by mango23; 04-06-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
maybe he just has the courage of his convictions.....
Then he would express them in other more constructive ways. Not a self destructive act that not only effects him but his whole family. This is not rational behavior to hurt the ones you are suppose to love along with yourself. He had no way of knowing what the outcome of what he was doing would be, be it positive of negative, yet he went ahead and subjected his family to unknown results of his radical behavior. This has nothing to do with convictions, just a frustrated man whose life seems to be spinning out of control publicly.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Well said. I think we will see a lot more docotors cutting back on the patients they see and more going to a cash-only basis. The more doctors get squeezed by the federal government the more that will retire or find other ways to get out of the medicare system. Before the health care bill passed there was survey that showed that 40% of doctors would consider retiring if the bill passed and a larger number said they would not encourage anyone to become a doctor if it becase law.
You know, if doctors would just charge you what they would get paid by contract from the insurance companies we would not even need health insurance other then catastrophic. I have a policy with BCBS that is a savings account type I forget what it is called. I have a $1500.00 deduct and if I go to the doctor I get BCBS contracted rate till I hit the ductable then they pay 100%. The last time I went it cost me $40.00 for the office visit. My wife was in the emergency room when she was hit by a car and the bill was $1700.00. I had to go to the office later about something.

I asked about the ambulance payment to be sure they were paid. I had gotten a call from the company they had not been paid yet and I would be responsible if BCBS didn't pay. While I was there i saw the actual bill. BCBS paid a flat rate of $300.00 for the emergency room even though I had received a copy of the $1700.00 bill that I would have had to pay in we didn't have insurance.

Kind of a joke isn't it. Like I said earlier, if they charged us what they contract with insurance companies we would not even need insurance. In another instance regarding the same accident. We were involved in a law suit, it was a hit and run and we tracked the guy down. In preparing the case I contacted the hospital to see what the surgery she would be needing in the near future cost. Not knowing why I was asking the hospital asked in I had insurance. I said no I would be paying cash. I was told that it would be $15,000.00 but If I was paying cash it would be $3000.00.

In other words if they can skip dealing with the insurance companies You can wheel and deal with them. The same with most any doctor. They love it if you pay them direct. My accountant does some doctors and he told me that insurance companies are very slow payers. It is not that they won't pay they just take their time. He said it is not unusual for it to take months and he has doctors with account receivables in the hundreds of thousands from insurance companies. They would be tickled to death to get paid the same amount they would have to wait 6 months from the insurance company if you pay them today as you leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida