Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times

Advertisements

How embarrassing. Our state is in the news for a lot of stupid things lately:

Doctor advises Obama voters to 'seek care elsewhere' - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:45 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
In my opinion, the only consideration here is legal. The First Amendment must be protected.

No matter what the opinion expressed, there will always be supporters and detractors.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
It just boggles my mind, why people do some of these stupid things. I guess his business isn't hurting, that he could stand to lose a few patients. I said to my better half, if he was my doctor and I saw that sign. I would gladly take my money elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,962 times
Here is what he said:
"I'm not turning anybody away -- that would be unethical," said Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."

The sign says: "If you voted for Obama . . . seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now, not in four years."

Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Cassell may be walking a thin line between his right to free speech and his professional obligation, said William Allen, professor of bioethics, law and medical professionalism at the University of Florida's College of Medicine.

Allen said doctors cannot refuse patients on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or disability, but political preference is not one of the legally protected categories specified in civil-rights law.

By insisting he does not ask his patients about their politics and has not turned away patients based on their votes, the doctor is "trying to hold onto the nub of his ethical obligation," Allen said. "But this is pushing the limit."

Pushing the limit.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Why should he want to advance the care of people who are working against him?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why should he want to advance the care of people who are working against him?
Because he took an oath. Suppose he is a Viet nam veteran, would you think it would be right to not treat people certain people he just didn't like for one reason or another? Maybe even mistreat them making them sicker or killing them. It is just a matter of the degree of his bias and hatred. Even a Republican should think twice about going to a narrow minded person who can't separate his personal and professional beliefs. He is not a doctor and should just give up his practice and go into politics if that is his motivation. You also have to wonder what his other dislikes are and how far he would go with them. People give themselves away with their words, I would not trust this guy in any respect. I wonder if he has fired all his nurses or other workers because of their political views? Since like 95% of blacks voted for Obama is it alright for him to just not treat blacks since the odds are they voted for Obama? He needs to add to his sign, "No blacks", is that fine with you as well?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 AM

The guy is 56 yo. I bet he's going to retire soon anyway. I think he's just doing this for media face time and so that he can potentially become the leader of the "tea party" movement in central Florida when he retires, as a second career. (I've noticed Florida seems to be very big on the Tea Party stuff, they're always having rallies in the Orlando area and we were out at Cocoa Beach and got stuck in a traffic jam and it turned out to be one of their protests causing the jam)

Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Because he took an oath. Suppose he is a Viet nam veteran would you think it would be right to not treat people certain people he just didn't like for one reason or another? Maybe even mistreat them making them sicker or killing them. It is just a matter of the degree of his bias and hatred. Even a Republican should think twice about going to a narrow minded person who can't separate his personal and professional beliefs. He is not a doctor and should just give up his practice and go into politics if that is his motivation.
I agree. I don't want to take my own thread on a tangent, but it's similar to those pharmacists who don't want to give out contraceptives. If you don't want to do that, don't work as a pharmacist. It's like if you were a pacifist and got a job at Lockheed Martin and then refused to work on anything involving weapon systems. Duh.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Its not the doctors fault he doesn't want to treat people that are ruining our country (or too stupid to see what's happening)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida