Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM

73 posts, read 443,720 times

Advertisements

I used to live in FL but almost never went to the beach. My wife said how could you not take advantage of living close to the water. I just took the beach for granted and now in the desert its a 8hr drive the west coast.
West coast beaches suck.

Does everybody go to the beach or just go once or twice a year?

If i move back i think i will go at least once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 PM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
I never go, last time i stepped foot on a beach was 1984.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Nope. I walked on it about three times in 9 years. I would go to New England beaches at LEAST three times a year.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Love to go to the beach, but don't go as much as we used to. However, most of the younger generations in our family regularly go to Cocoa, New Smyrna and Daytona.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
When we rented right on the beach, it was every single day.
Now we are a mile from the beach, and it is every other day--sometimes every two days.
I love the beach, it soothes my soul.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbadhair View Post
I used to live in FL but almost never went to the beach. My wife said how could you not take advantage of living close to the water. I just took the beach for granted and now in the desert its a 8hr drive the west coast.
West coast beaches suck.

Does everybody go to the beach or just go once or twice a year?

If i move back i think i will go at least once a month.
I used to like to bike ride along the beach early morning but it gets so crowded I don't enjoy going most of the other hours. If you don't live close the parking can be a hassel as well I used to live walking distance. I have to be honest, I really don't like actually being on the beach. It is hot and the sand is always hot. You go in the water and come out and you are all sticky from the salt and feel yuckey and if you get burnt that is horrible. For me it is kind of an unpleasant experience. I look at a lot of the people out there frying and wonder what they see in it. Nice to look at though.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Fort Myers Beach was less than a mile, as the crow flies, but not when you actually had to drive to get there. Add in the incredible traffic getting over the bridge.

Try to find a parking space. You finally find one for $10. Now you are an hour into it.

You finally get there. Where are the waves? It's like an incredibly hot bath tub. The water is an odd color, kinda brown. And there always seemed to be issues: red tide, jelly fish, sharks, dead fish.

No thank you.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 PM

172 posts, read 857,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Fort Myers Beach was less than a mile, as the crow flies, but not when you actually had to drive to get there. Add in the incredible traffic getting over the bridge.

Try to find a parking space. You finally find one for $10. Now you are an hour into it.

You finally get there. Where are the waves? It's like an incredibly hot bath tub. The water is an odd color, kinda brown. And there always seemed to be issues: red tide, jelly fish, sharks, dead fish.

No thank you.
hahhahaha, i thought i was the only person that noticed this. this is why i call it "the dirty pool" i mean wtf there is NO waves in that beach. its a saltwater lake basically. is naples or bonita beach any different or is it just the entire gulf coast thats like this?

i also notice that alot of people who are full-time residents here dont go to the beach, if they do its to the bars etc around the area. mostly tourists in the water

to answer the original question i have NEVER gone into the water here in florida, i lived in north jersey (elizabeth) and i would go to almost every beach on the shore manymany times during summer. sandy hook, point pleasant etc a couple others i cant remember the names of.

its like they turned the waves off at fort myers beach to make it more pleasant for the old people

Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 PM

246 posts, read 1,019,249 times
I go about once a year, because my kids want to. I use to love the beach but now after an hour I am ready to go. Years ago when I lived on LI I would go to the beach almost every evening because I was only a few miles away.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Northeast beaches are great!

I can't believe people spend their money to go to southwest Florida. Naples and Bonita Beach is no better. Even Sanibel and Captiva are not great shakes.

Good Gawd. Go to Bermuda if you want incredible beaches, pink sugar sand, turquoise water and great waves! Great hotels, restaurants and hospitable people are an added bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida