Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times

Advertisements

Last time I went to the beach and in the water was in 1982. It just isn't convenient, too crowded and there's wierd stuff in the water over there. Here I have the ocean but no beach, love boating but a beach is boring to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:37 PM

165 posts, read 657,220 times
I have not been to the beach in a few years. I went more when I was in Philadelphia as my mom lives in Cape May. Last time we went to Longboat Key Resort we had an oceanfront room we never were on the beach we just sat outside on the patio with our grandkids and watched the water and dolphins go by. My daughter and the kids went on the beach .

Old 06-15-2007, 06:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,299,474 times
We live about halfway in between Daytona and Orlando. Over the summer we either go to the waterparks at Disney or the beach and we go often, maybe 2 weekends a month, at times during the week to Disney to avoid the crowds. If I am too tired, then we go to the pool in our neighborhood.

We make a day of it...I was a fish in a previous life, I love the beach and I never want to live any further away from it then I do now.

When I get there, I always sit there and look at it and ask myself why I waited so long to get back. Its only 45 munutes drive over to the area we go, either New Smyrna or Ponce Inlet beach, where I can drive out, unload our stuff, chairs and ice chest packed food...nothing better.

That reminds me, I am behind on my tan.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
When I was in my early 20's I went to the beach all the time in Ft Lauderdale, Dania, Pompano, Miami Beach on the south end was quiet quiet quiet ( And Nice! ) and by the mid twenties I lived in a condo right on the sand on the Hillsboro Mile which was terrific.

Now in my early 50's the focus is on how to heck to get off this ferris wheel, hence it's rare to actually go and sit on a beach.

Actually, my Wife and I stayed in a condominium just before new years on Navarre Beach in the Panhandle. The temps were in the mid 30's at night and just really nice during the day. Took a walk on that beautiful beach.

Last edited by MrTudo; 06-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Remembered that we actually went to a beach this year!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I haven't put my feet on a beach in over a year. My parents have a home in the keys on the water, have only been down there a handfull of times in the last year as it is just to hot 6-7 months. I am young and love my skin too, I try to avoid the sun as much as possible, as skin cancer runs in my family (grandmother died of melanoma (sp???)). This is my other reason for avoiding the beach.

When I was 15 years old I met a woman that had perfect skin she was about 55-60. I asked her what was her secret, she said she lived in NY for many years and only recently had moved to Florida. She said by living in NY she avoided the sun for most of her life. So I took that at 15 years old and pretty much have tried to stay out of the sun. Today my skin has freckles (sun damage) on the parts that the sun touched while I was a kid. My hope is that by staying out of the sun during my 20's forward will diminish my skin cancer risks in the future.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:29 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
Default I wish, we would have gone more.......

I think we went more to the ocean, when we were living in PA
When we lived in Port Saint Lucie ( approx. 40 min. from the beach), we were way to busy with our jobs.....Just didn't have the time.
I just LOVE the beach, listening to the waves rolling in, the palm trees swaying, the seagulls screaming.........I miss it so much!
My husband, on the other hand, can care less about it, and finds a million- and-one excuses on why NOT to like it..... sharks, jellyfish, sandfleas, horseflies...etc.
I just find the peace, quiet, ocean breeze so inspirational and therapheutic

Old 06-15-2007, 08:01 PM

250 posts, read 1,470,137 times
i live 8 minutes from the beach and hardly ever go...in the UK I live 2 minutes from the beach and NEVER went but the beaches there arent the same as they are here...lol

I do tend to go more often on my days off though....need to make an effort!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM

90 posts, read 368,539 times
When I lived in Fort Pierce I went every weekend. I was also a teenager with a car LOL. The beaches there were pretty underdeveloped which I loved. Now that I live in Gainesville I don't get to go as much and my parents live just south of Daytona Beach. I am resistant to go there because I HATE the fact that you can drive on the beach. While parking sucks otherwise, so does exhaust, peoples loud music and cars as well as the chance of getting RUN OVER. I am hoping to get back to the beach more once I move in a few weeks.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
I used to go a lot when I first moved down here - every chance I could.

Now I go less often, but still try to go just to take a quick walk at least.

Life gets busy, but you've gotta stop to smell the sea now and then !

Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times
If I lived by the gulf I would definately be at the beach at sunset.So peaceful, calming and romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida