Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

To the OP question if it has been worse. In history I am sure it has. But being here just about 17 years now, it has been fine until the last couple years. In the 90's up until the housing crash and economy crash in the mod 00's things were fine in FL. Thanks to the greed of banks, developers, and government it is now pretty pittiful. Hopefully things will start to improve here. Season will bring more money to the state via snow birds. As annoying as they can be, they do give us a little boost here. Things do need to show improvement though. It's pretty depressing.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
To the OP question if it has been worse. In history I am sure it has. But being here just about 17 years now, it has been fine until the last couple years. In the 90's up until the housing crash and economy crash in the mod 00's things were fine in FL. Thanks to the greed of banks, developers, and government it is now pretty pittiful. Hopefully things will start to improve here. Season will bring more money to the state via snow birds. As annoying as they can be, they do give us a little boost here. Things do need to show improvement though. It's pretty depressing.
I would hope that you are right, and that the snowbird season will give the Florida economy the boost that it needs. It would also be an indicator that the national economy could be improving, as well, with some people able to afford to "open their purse strings". If they are able to get jobs, I am beginning to see a whole lot more of the formerly retired working at the retail stores and fast food restaurants than I have ever seen before in/around Pittsburgh, and our local economy is doing better than most. I hate to sound so dismal, but I think Florida is so dependent upon the monies earned elsewhere that the state will not begin to recover until the rest of the country does..... and that could be a very long time

Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM

191 posts, read 632,908 times
Florida is a big state every city is different. Everyone has a different field and everyone lives a different life. In terms of what's good "money" and not is to the beholder. Florida has the obvious weather, plam trees and beaches. The economy here is bad but so is every where else. If you move here with a pension you shouldn't have to worry about nothing and know what you can spend. Auto insurance here for me 1,000 a year compared to 4,000 there. Some things are more some are less. This forum helps alot of people make decisions but since we are all different no 1 person will be able to say what is and what isn't what someone would want or like. The best thing you can do is visit and research the areas your interested in. We are all in different ages and have different circumstances in life. Personally i prefer sunny days to gloomy clouds.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlopes26 View Post
Florida is a big state every city is different. Everyone has a different field and everyone lives a different life. In terms of what's good "money" and not is to the beholder. Florida has the obvious weather, plam trees and beaches. The economy here is bad but so is every where else. If you move here with a pension you shouldn't have to worry about nothing and know what you can spend. Auto insurance here for me 1,000 a year compared to 4,000 there. Some things are more some are less. This forum helps alot of people make decisions but since we are all different no 1 person will be able to say what is and what isn't what someone would want or like. The best thing you can do is visit and research the areas your interested in. We are all in different ages and have different circumstances in life. Personally i prefer sunny days to gloomy clouds.
Excellent post, very well said.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
Yes, we are a ponzi state and someone is gonna end up holding the bag pretty soon when new residents stop coming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_i7NVbi-b4

Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Yes, we are a ponzi state and someone is gonna end up holding the bag pretty soon when new residents stop coming:

That would not be cool....

Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Regarding Population trends;

"Florida may have seen a slight population increase between 2009 and 2010, but experts at the University of Florida say the small boost indicates the economic recovery has a long way to go.

Stan Smith, a director of UF's Bureau of Economic and Business Research, said Friday that preliminary estimates to the U.S. Census indicate the population in Florida increased by about 21,000 between 2009 and 2010. The previous year, Florida's population DECREASED by about 55,000.
"The economy stopped deteriorating as it had been the previous year," Smith said. "It's a reflection of a very slight economic recovery."
Florida historically has seen a much larger population increase. In the past three to four decades, the population has generally increased by about 300,000 per year."

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100904/articles/9041007

Old 10-25-2010, 05:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:

he wants a sensible tax structure? Like what? NY, NJ or CA? No thanks.

seriously wtf is he talking about. He just said it himself: "millions of americans have sought refuge in FL because of its tax structure"

Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
he wants a sensible tax structure? Like what? NY, NJ or CA? No thanks.

seriously wtf is he talking about. He just said it himself: "millions of americans have sought refuge in FL because of its tax structure"
"have sought" not "are seeking" When they COULD afford to move here. People are moving where the jobs are, and that aint Florida.

"The University of Florida reported the state addedan estimated 21,000 people. the 2009 increase didn't come close to making up for the previous year's decline of 55,000 The biggest increases were in the largest counties, led by Miami-Dade, Hillsborough and Broward Because they receive a substantial number of foreign immigrants." (think cuban rafters who drain our social benefits for a their first year in "liberty" but it gets worse....)

The biggest percentage increase was in north Florida's Lafayette County, one of the smallest. It grew by 5.2 percent but that was mostly because of an increase in the number of inmates at state prison"

Florida population growing again after 1-year drop - BusinessWeek

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Regarding Population trends;

"Florida may have seen a slight population increase between 2009 and 2010, but experts at the University of Florida say the small boost indicates the economic recovery has a long way to go.

Stan Smith, a director of UF's Bureau of Economic and Business Research, said Friday that preliminary estimates to the U.S. Census indicate the population in Florida increased by about 21,000 between 2009 and 2010. The previous year, Florida's population DECREASED by about 55,000.
"The economy stopped deteriorating as it had been the previous year," Smith said. "It's a reflection of a very slight economic recovery."
Florida historically has seen a much larger population increase. In the past three to four decades, the population has generally increased by about 300,000 per year."

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100904/articles/9041007
That is the same U of F study that the year before was off by 150,000.
Not reliable at all. Besides slower growth is not a bad thing.

Hopefully residents are smart enough to know how to vote on Amendment 4 next Tuesday and help slow down development also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida