Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times

Advertisements

They don't have what I consider "real" sausages here much either - The Aussie kind that are purchased raw and then cooked......I'd kill for a REAL snag. Lately I've started noticing similar but they're always "varieties" like sage & rosemary or whatever - will try some soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I'd love to go to a real Chinese restaurant, to see how different it is from what we're used to from Chinese takeout places.
There are loads of them in any large city in California. You can usually tell which ones are authentic because all the signs are in Mandarin, all the customers are Chinese and speaking Chinese, while the waitress has a hard time translating things for us white folks.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,875 times
Slightly off topic but has anyone noticed that when you order shepherds pie in America they bring you cottage pie? Look, it's not that hard. Shepherd's pie used minced lamb meat while cottage pie uses beef yet when ever you order "shepherd's pie" in the US it always seems to be beef.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM

467 posts, read 713,596 times
^I think I've only been to a few restaurants in my life that had either..I know that most of our food in America is much more saucy, buttery and less pure.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
^I think I've only been to a few restaurants in my life that had either..I know that most of our food in America is much more saucy, buttery and less pure.

J/K.....but seriously, I don't see how you can make such a statement. And what, specifically,
is this "more saucy, buttery and less pure" food? I can't think of it. And besides that, buttery sounds good to me. So does saucy. And "less pure"? Sounds like that's just leading to the same old argument, which is a silly one at that since things like preservatives are there for a da*n good reason.

Last edited by rainroosty; 07-25-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Slightly off topic but has anyone noticed that when you order shepherds pie in America they bring you cottage pie? Look, it's not that hard. Shepherd's pie used minced lamb meat while cottage pie uses beef yet when ever you order "shepherd's pie" in the US it always seems to be beef.
Something got lost in translation on the trip over the pond.

Speaking of which, if I ever get to Oz, one of the first things I'm going to do is see what passes for Mexican food.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 AM

467 posts, read 713,596 times
@Rainroosty, It's more I suppose that I like to get a cultural feel of what I'm eating when I go to a certain place. I do admit I enjoy the saucy, buttery, but yeah..I don't know anymore . lol.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
I think the "shepherd's pie" made from beef is a somewhat recent innovation. Growing up, it was always made with leftover diced up lamb. There was a great restaurant in CT that still made it from lamb until a few years ago and it was worth the long drive to go there for it. Last time I went, it was just ground beef--what a letdown, what a lie. Real shepherd's pie is a true comfort food.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,141 times
Re Canadian Bacon....in Ontario it is called pea meal bacon (authentically, it s covered with a meal made of crushed yellow peas). Call it what you want, its delicious! But if you ask for Canadian Bacon in Canada, they might give you a puzzled look.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,246,087 times
The use of cheddar cheese, black olives and various strata on tacos is not at all common in Mexico.

Mars bars cannot be found on Mars, to my knowledge. Same goes for moon pies on the Moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink