Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Don't think I've ever had either. Look like pancakes or waffles from what I just looked at. If you like what you made then who needs our version. Not sure I've had a real scone either.
Well if you've had an American biscuit, you've pretty much had a scone = ) just add jam and cream. I eat American style biscuits cold with butter as well which judging by the reactions is a no-no LOL

the main difference between muffins and crumpets is that crumpets are cooked on a griddle (using 'crumpet rings" to contain the batter to a nice circle) so crumpets are a less "baked" texture, but they both have the holes to hold the yummy honey I pour on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That's funny - I've always known them as Capsicums (the "bell peppers" that is)
Around here they're known as cascabels.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well if you've had an American biscuit, you've pretty much had a scone = ) just add jam and cream. I eat American style biscuits cold with butter as well which judging by the reactions is a no-no LOL

the main difference between muffins and crumpets is that crumpets are cooked on a griddle (using 'crumpet rings" to contain the batter to a nice circle) so crumpets are a less "baked" texture, but they both have the holes to hold the yummy honey I pour on.
Oh, o.k. thanks for the description. Had biscuits for sure and scones I can picture now. Crumpets sound similar to pancakes with honey, butter, syrup and such. I never could eat many pancakes or waffles. I think the syrup was too rich for me.

I wanted to mention "Kolaches" I believe originating in Eastern Europe. They are fruit filled pastries. I have recipes from a friend of a friend poster in my town.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,419 times
From my experience, American English muffins are crumpets.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
From my experience, American English muffins are crumpets.
Trust me, they're not.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,624 times
Nobody has mentioned yet "Italian Dressing". I know it is not a food as sunch but you can find it pretty much in every food store in the world but in Italy.

We dress salads with salt, vinegar and olive oil, normally added in that order.
This is the basic salad dressing used in 95% of Italian families, then some restaurants and some more adventurous foodies add variations by crushing garlic or adding ground pepper and herbs, etc.

But it will be difficult to find an Italian squashing some strange liquid out of a plastic bottle.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Nobody has mentioned yet "Italian Dressing". I know it is not a food as sunch but you can find it pretty much in every food store in the world but in Italy.

We dress salads with salt, vinegar and olive oil, normally added in that order.
This is the basic salad dressing used in 95% of Italian families, then some restaurants and some more adventurous foodies add variations by crushing garlic or adding ground pepper and herbs, etc.

But it will be difficult to find an Italian squashing some strange liquid out of a plastic bottle.
Same with "French" dressing. The French use mostly vinaigrette which is completely different than the gloop that is "French dressing". I've also never seen a "chocolate croissant" in France ever though I was told it was French whilst in the US. "Pain au chocolat" yes, chocolate croissant, never heard of it, never seen one within France.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Canadian back bacon seems to be exclusive to MacDonalds.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canadian back bacon seems to be exclusive to MacDonalds.
Thank goodness it is not, because I hate McDonald's but love Canadian bacon. I get it at the grocery store and serve it up for Sunday brunch.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I've also never seen a "chocolate croissant" in France ever though I was told it was French whilst in the US. "Pain au chocolat" yes, chocolate croissant, never heard of it, never seen one within France.
I have had chocolate croissants in Germany and Amsterdam but haven't been to France so I can't comment. However, I did have them all over Quebec so maybe they are a French Canadian export?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink